Luge Run Safe or Not

This really doesn't seem that hard. Mountains and weather are part of nature, luge runs are designed by humans.

Ha

Ski runs are designed by humans.... so I do not see the distiction either... if they wanted it more safe, put in bumpers so you don't go into the trees... or just saw down every tree that is anywhere near there...

But to do that takes some of the 'fun' out for some people...

Maybe they should get rid of a sport that some guy lays flat on the top of a small board with rails and barrels down and icy slope...

And my point is that there are risks in almost ANY sport... we just don't know them all. They all can not be designed out, like the skater who cut his leg and almost died... you need a sharp edge or you can not turn...

This really doesn't seem that hard. Mountains and weather are part of nature, luge runs are designed by humans.

Ha

Ha, you yourself mentioned that you wish your son wouldn't take the double diamonds.
Who do you think engineered the double diamond run?
Sure, the mountain was there first. But the runs are designed to be easier or more difficult.
Just as the luge run was designed.

If you take out all risk, you take out the thrill. This doesn't mean reasonable precautions shouldn't be taken. It is the choice of the participant to decide whether they wish to take part. I don't get the American interest in American football (I am American), but people take part in it and enjoy watching it because of what it is....a collision sport. People WILL get hurt...make it as reasonably safe as possible, but it is ultimately THEIR choice to participate.....or not. I think it is one heck of a lot more dangerous to ride my bike on the roads than any of these sports. I made the decision to stop riding (at least for a while) because I decided the aggressive drivers were making me too uncomfortable. There are things you can do to make things a little safer, but as long as there are bikes and cars on the road....the risk remains. I chose to stop.

Hey, the Olympic committee must have read our posts, because they are padding those posts the luger died on, as well as, making other modifications.:cool:

NBC had a commentator on yesterday and he indicated that the Olympic committee made some decisions 20 yrs ago to spice up the Winter Olympics due to sagging viewership. They added former X-game sports in an attempt to attract the younger crowd. Each sport felt pressure to add some risk to ensure they would not be dropped from the games. Longer, faster runs, higher walls on the half-pipe and so on. And guess what? it worked as the ratings are through the roof.

He indicated that the luge run was designed to be 10 mph slower than it was on opening day. He thinks an investigation as to why it became faster is in order. He seemed to be credible, however I do not remember his name.

It is telling that the retaining wall that was requested and denied was built and painted in less than 12 hrs after the crash.:nonono:

As I said isn't hindsight great! Wow the monday morning quarterbacks are out in force. Let's look at stock car racing. No one ever thought a car could jump the retaining wall the fence and land in the crowd killing people. I mean No ONE... but it did, and they took measures to correct it. If the officials thought a luger would exit the course there and hit a beam, they would have corrected it, and now they have.

Back
Top Bottom