Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Thinking the same thing. It looks even worse on the inside.
Feel free to complain to the interior re-decorators

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Media reports that this compound had lots of security cameras. I haven't seen a security camera in any videos of the compound. Also initial reports said it was surrounded by an 18 ft wall, but then it turns out only a very small part of the wall is that tall. It's mostly a 10 to 12 ft wall.

Anyways, I'm amused at how journalists fall all over themselves embellishing any small tidbits of facts they are given.

Who will get the exclusive interview with OBL's daughter and wife? Or any of the others living in the compound? Will the cow get it's own TV show?

Old 05-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Note to self: add luxurious mansion to apartment rental ads. See Samantha Bee on flipping Osama's lovely home:

To Kill a Mockingturd - Reaction to Bin Laden's Death - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 05/02/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
That entire show was classic. It's not often that I sit in front of the TV literally laughing out loud (especially for an entire show), but that one did it.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Lots of reviews of this location on google maps: Osama Bin Laden's Hideout Compound
Old 05-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #25

Google has street-view cars in Pakistan?!?
Old 05-04-2011, 12:56 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
Google has street-view cars in Pakistan?!?
Of course. A handy rule of thumb is if God would know something so does Google.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:03 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Looked a little more like a small fortress to me.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Looked a little more like a small fortress to me.
Exactly. I think that explains the million dollar price tag. Lots of land and concrete for walls.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The news media keep saying that Bin Laden was living in a luxurious mansion. Even for a third world country, this doesn't count as a luxurious mansion:

But I guess "luxurious mansion" is a better contrast to "cave" than is "large ugly house."
Totally agree. Not a mansion, not luxurious. In developing countries, luxury tends to be even more ostentatious, not less.

This is a compound with lots of land and security walls. Not unusual for someone with lots of money but wanting to keep a low profile, like a wealthy business executive.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #30
Administrator

Yes, here's an article including a local realtor's viewpoint on the description of this house:

Quote:
After Sunday night's dramatic raid by US Navy Seals, a senior Obama administration official told reporters that the property, an "extraordinarily unique compound" in an "affluent suburb", was valued at around $1m.

But two property professionals in Abbottabad – a quiet, military-dominated town – said that much of that was incorrect. Based on the size of the plot and the house, which was built in 2005, and using recent property sales as a guide, they estimated that it would fetch no more than $250,000 on the current market.

"Twenty million rupees, maximum," said property dealer Muhammad Anwar, a 22-year veteran of the local market, at his Abbottabad office. "No swimming pool. This is not a posh area. We call it a middling area."
Looking at the compound on Google Maps, it doesn't look bigger than neighboring compounds (which also have walls around them) and it is on the outskirts of town where houses are not close together, with crops being grown in fields nearby.

I would suspect that the $250K estimate is generous. Nice mountain view, but I sure wouldn't pay that much for that place, especially out in the middle of nowhere like that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #31

Yeah, but I'll bet the taxes are high. It also looks like you'll have to put in a new kitchen and a few baths.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Yeah, but I'll bet the taxes are high. It also looks like you'll have to put in a new kitchen and a few baths.
and probably replace the rugs
Old 05-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #33
Administrator

For me, well, I may be picky but I would have to dispose of all furniture, rugs, and contents, completely gut the place and apply copious quantities of bleach before renovation.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #34

For rent or sale

Luxury mansion. Remarkable location - close to shopping and major highways, near the Capitol but at the same time, like living all alone.

The latest in a green lifestyle - in home trash disposal, lots of open space for garden and pets, no unsightly telephone wires around this beauty.

Very private and secure. Lots of walls everywhere - no need to worry about those pesky tan lines when you live here.

Some minor storm damage - may need a few touch-ups and painting.

Don't wait, call now. This one's bound to go fast ...
Old 05-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Bin Laden slept here.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Bin Laden slept here.
I wonder if it will become a haunted tourist attraction.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Google Maps has over a thousand reviews on the compound destination - many pretty funny: Osama Bin Laden's Hideout Compound

one of the pictures of the place has a strange resemblance to the Bluth house...

Old 05-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

"My pancakes were soggy" was the funniest review.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #39

My guess is the "million dollar mansion" was propaganda ... to get under the skin of all those tired, weary, cave ridden, hungry jihad warriors who thought Osama was toughing it out (like they are).
Old 05-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I heard that the Pak government has blown up the place to prevent it from becoming a shrine.