Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-14-2015, 12:09 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nada. Born a peasant. Still a peasant.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2015, 06:02 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My luxury is having 2 houses, one of which is waterfront. The boathouse in the front yard has two relatively new boats slung out of the water.

Otherwise, we live rather frugally in order to afford to travel often.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:06 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We travel business class to Europe and we often go out for fine dining.

We have spent a wad on appliances so we can cook easily.

We have taken the special insurance rider of our fine jewelry. Don't value it much anymore.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:19 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Our indulgences? We own a boat (a huge budget no-no, but while we're still able to enjoy it), and we dine out more than the averages say we should. Otherwise we're pretty LBYM, we always buy with long term value in mind and we keep things until they break or wear out. I resisted expensive watches, and haven't worn one in years anyway since my smartphone is usually handy when there's no clock around.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's my pearl handled boomerang, I can't seem to part with it more than a few seconds at a time.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
What kind did you get

I was looking to get a 70" HD... but now have been gravitating to a 4K.... still cannot pull the trigger since the cost is so high... I will have to be OK with the 48" Vizio.... that was a refurb...
I bought a 60" Vizio 4K. Its one of the cheaper ones and has a few less "smart TV" features but I dont care much about that. The specs may be slightly less than a Sony but to the naked human eye, the picture quality is the same on just about any of them.

In a few months you wont be able to buy anything but a 4K. Best Buy hardly has any regular HD models left now and I think when they are gone, they are gone for good. The picture on a 4K TV is amazing. However, its almost "too" realistic on some shows and movies. Sometimes it looks like the way a soap opera does. Like you are actually standing in the room with the actors which may sound cool but to me it almost looks fake. I like whatever filters they use in movies.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:43 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Some of you sound like you hang out at MMM too often Luxury in moderation is my motto! Got to live a bit. This is all of course under the assumption that your financial foundation is strong prior to engaging.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:53 PM   #28

I hitch a ride on my sister's personal Learjet whenever they're going somewhere interesting.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Mine is a McIntosh stereo system that I bought for $1500 in 1972. The replacement cost today would be closer to $25,000. It weighs a ton but nothing else I've listened to sounds as good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Oh... just remembered that I have some great speakers... they are Legacy speakers...
I was coming up blank until I saw these two posts. I own a late 70s pair of Klipschorn (aka corner-horn) speakers. I bought the pair used for $1200 in the late 1980s. They retail today for $6000 each. They serve as the front left/right in my home theatre set up. The rears are two Acoustic Research AR90s that I bought new in 1979 for $1000. The center channel is two Klipsch Heresy's sitting on top of one another. I also use two Klipsch subs. It's not pretty, and it's probably not the most accurate sound reproduction. But to my ear, it is by far the most "musical" I have ever heard. As a teenager, I remember listening to a pair of Klipschorns in a high-end stereo shop in the mid 70s. The realism blew me away. It was impossible, like nothing I had ever heard. I promised myself that if I ever had the means one day, I would own a pair. So that's my luxury item.
Cobra9777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:28 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
As a teenager, I remember listening to a pair of Klipschorns in a high-end stereo shop in the mid 70s. The realism blew me away.
Wow, what a memory that brought back.

In the 1960s, Acoustic Research had a "listening room" on the mezzanine of Grand Central Station in NYC. You could bring in your own record (vinyl, of course) and stand there for as long as you liked doing A-B tests of all their speakers.

I remember bringing in my record of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" which opens with AFAIK the lowest note in all recorded music.

As I recall it, I was so blown away by the AR-3a speakers (like most everyone else who ever heard them) that I resolved to buy a pair as soon as I could afford them. Eventually I got there and enjoyed them for many years.

Alas, they were destroyed by the movers during one of my many relocations during military service, but I still remember them fondly.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I only eat grey poupon mustard in the back seat of my Dodge Dart.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:42 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, in our early years it seemed, sometimes, that DW was a luxury I couldn't afford. Now that I can afford her it seems it might be (as the old CW song says) "cheaper to keep her".

If you are reading this Ms. Head, that smiley means it's a joke.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:38 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

No judgement please! 😁

When I was around mid career and had a lot of disposable income purses and watchers became my drug.
I have three Hermes Birkins which I could sell today for around 8k to 9k each.
Various Chanel purses probably valued 12k total.
Watches- various Cartier, Chanel and Rolex.

But before ya'll laugh at my stupidity to spend so much- I had a friend with a number of items similar to what I mentioned who was a SAHM. Her husband left, disappeared overseas and until lawyers could get to their account which was around a year, she survived and paid the mortgage with the money she got selling her high dollar items.

So I've kept my junk and will start to unload soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-15-2015, 09:25 AM   #34

My jewelry is definitely a luxury but I've never bought with the idea that it was an investment, and I still enjoy it all. Even when I'm in shorts and a T-shirt I wear earrings and a bracelet. The watches were probably the only bad deal. I have two that don't work, one being a Concord version of a Cartier tank watch, and the amount I'd get from a jeweler is pitiful. (I've asked there, and at the "We Buy Gold" places.) Another is a lovely 18k gold mesh bracelet and case, about one ounce, which I don't wear because it's too delicate. I'm sure the meltdown value is pretty good but I bought it on my first trip to Paris. How could I part with it? I wear my Rolex every day but my husband's Timex keeps better time!

DH and I actually chose a sterling pattern and bought our own. We use it when we have guests. Never went in for china- it's breakable.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:06 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's all relative. For me it's piano lessons & sports for kids, international travel, books, tea and beer.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:32 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

We have too many ... each of DW and I have our own indulgences

Beachfront condo (for 2-3 more years only)
We eat out a lot (and DW likes nice food and wine)
Cultural experiences
Global travel (but usually on a discounted trip)
LA Kings season tickets
Kids' cars and college tuition (depends on who you ask if an indulgence or not)
Old 09-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #37

Too many to mention, and what would that accomplish anyway. But probably the biggest indulgences relate to 5 star Europen Hotels. They are outrageous even for us.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:21 PM   #38

Luxury stuff you can't get rid off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Too many to mention, and what would that accomplish anyway. But probably the biggest indulgences relate to 5 star Europen Hotels. They are outrageous even for us.

I bet it'll be tough to sell those hotels.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Old 09-15-2015, 01:34 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

We have been slowly disposing of luxury items (except for DW's personal stuff like purses, jewelry, etc). So I guess I should say "I" have been slowly disposing of luxury items.....

But once the old stuff is gone, I have opened up the spot for a sports car for ME! (again)

Maybe a clean used 'Vette or some exotic high revving convertible?

On another note, we have given away the antiques, heirlooms, silver set(s), china set(s) to the kids. Better to let them have it now than to see them fight over it later (or who gets to sell it or trash it).
Old 09-15-2015, 02:43 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

My attitude toward 'fine stuff' was altered by Katrina when time to leave town came.

The corollary to 'you can't take it with you' was 'what do you choose to put in the back of a Chevy Silverado long bed with a camper shell.

heh heh heh - the dog and cat came first. Some underwear and stuff. And then two file cabinets of old tax returns. I've been working on my attitude ever since.