Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

"Ma Bell" is coming back...
Old 03-05-2006, 04:51 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"Ma Bell" is coming back...

New new AT&T/SBC has announced they will be buying BellSouth and the rest of the portion of cingular they dont already own. :P

The part about this I find entertaining is that Cingular bought at&t wireless from the "old" at&t before the SBC buyout, renamed all the stores and trucks and whatnot, converted the customer base, and now cingular is going to become at&t again...maybe they can scrape off that new layer of paint off everything and save a few bucks...

I cant wait to see how this passes the regulatory folks...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: "Ma Bell" is coming back...
Old 03-05-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

DD #1 worked as a bean counter for SBC prior to their merger with/morph to AT&T. After suffering through 7 mergers in my minimegacorp career, my advice to her was run, don't walk to the nearest exit. She left them the end of the year and just called me about the latest announcement...and to thank me and remind me how smart old dad was.

Old 03-06-2006, 08:44 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Looks like they're going to axe 10,000 jobs as a result of the merger.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

synergy...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:58 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

lets not forget cost savings.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:07 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

AT&T was one of the best run companies in America when the Feds made them brake it up into a dozen pieces back in 1984. Looks like the puzzle is continueing to be slowly put back together again.

I do not know if it will be better for the consumer or the workers or the stockholders or the AT&T management but here it is folks!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:13 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

One of the best companies? Maybe one of the best monopolies...I remember my parent's long distant rates being higher than they are now, didn't they used to rent you a phone, acted as if you should count yourself lucky?

I don't really like the slow creep into monopoly again, but that era is gone. Cable phone, internet phone, cell phone providers falling all over themselves to get your business.

This latest gobbling binge reminds me of waterworld, last survivors shooting each other for the few scraps of dirt and paper left. They may get a bigger piece of the pie, but the pie itself is shrinking.

laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:07 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

The service was okay as I recall, but the price was ridiculous and the offerings were slim. But the telephones they rented you could be thrown down a flight of stairs and survive.

The problem I have with the current environment is companies willing to spend billions collectively on marketing and zero on actual customer service.

Now if the companies werent being run by marketing guys, I suppose it'd be different. You do what you understand.