Join Early Retirement Today

Mac Genealogy Software
Old 01-12-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mac Genealogy Software

For all you genealogy fans out there, the other day when I was in an Apple Store nearby (ogling the iPad) , I happened to notice that Family Tree Maker now has a Mac version. It used to be available only for the PC. Apparently there's an FTM iPad App too, but I don't know if that's included with the Mac program must be purchased separately.

FTM was one of the two programs I wanted to be able to run that finally led me to knuckle under and buy a PC laptop. I never did buy the other program, although it would be a fun one to have. There's a third one I've been thinking of buying (also for genealogy). I wonder if those two will run under emulation. Then I wouldn't need the PC laptop at all....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been using Reunion on the Mac for years, and I really like it.
It also has a companion app for the iPhone and iPad, which syncs nicely with the desktop file.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I've been using Reunion on the Mac for years, and I really like it.
+1
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
There's a third one I've been thinking of buying (also for genealogy). I wonder if those two will run under emulation. Then I wouldn't need the PC laptop at all....
If you google a bit, you can usually find if a PC program will run under WINE on an Intel Mac and/or Linux. I have WINE loaded on DW's MacBook Pro (only used it once to run a ".exe." firmware update software for an old, old DVD burner I had), and on my Linux machines to run SketchUp.

In general, I try to use programs that have full cross platform support. Then it's easier to deal with others using the program on other OSs, and it does not hinder you moving from one OS to another. But that's not always the best option for other reasons.

-ERD50
Old 01-13-2011, 01:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If you google a bit, you can usually find if a PC program will run under WINE on an Intel Mac and/or Linux. I have WINE loaded on DW's MacBook Pro (only used it once to run a ".exe." firmware update software for an old, old DVD burner I had), and on my Linux machines to run SketchUp.

In general, I try to use programs that have full cross platform support. Then it's easier to deal with others using the program on other OSs, and it does not hinder you moving from one OS to another. But that's not always the best option for other reasons.

-ERD50
oh goodie, I see Wine is an open source emulator. I did not know about it and hadn't yet brought myself to the sticking point of laying out a couple hundred bucks for commercial emulation software plus a copy of Windows. I will have to check it out. If it's a free download I can put it on my Mac and see if the two programs will run. If they don't, I will still have the PC laptop and can run them there. I totally agree about the preferability of cross platform programs, but for a long time it just wasn't happening in the genealogy department, which is why I thought it might be of interest to others that FTM now comes for both PC and Mac. Reunion and FTM appear to be generally regarded as the two best genealogy programs, but neither of them was cross-platform. I finally knuckled under and got the PC laptop because my parents had all the genealogy files on their computer. They are Windows users and I just didn't want to let myself in for the hassle of trying to synch files under two different programs on three computers.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:47 AM   #6

I tried FTM for the Mac. Could not get it to work. Their help desk was not helpful. They said they would contact the developers. I said I expected it to work when I bought it not later, returned it for a refund.

I used to use FTM on the PC but have been using Reunion since I converted to Mac. Guess I will keep using it.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
I tried FTM for the Mac. Could not get it to work. Their help desk was not helpful. They said they would contact the developers. I said I expected it to work when I bought it not later, returned it for a refund.

I used to use FTM on the PC but have been using Reunion since I converted to Mac. Guess I will keep using it.
uh-oh! how long ago was that?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We belong to the Bainbridge Island Genealogical Society. There are a couple of expert Apple users in that group. I am not sure if their forum is locked or not but you could do a Google search and give your question(s) a try.

Although we have moved we intend to maintain our membership as they are an invaluable resource and a bunch of great people.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
uh-oh! how long ago was that?
They have just now released FTM for Mac. The Version that I could not get to work is the first release.