Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-21-2014, 08:27 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
My understanding is the new $499 Mac mini models comes with only 4GB of RAM and is running the Yosemite OS. The real bummer on these new minis is the RAM can't be upgraded
You can buy that model Mac mini with 8 GB of RAM from apple - though that makes it a $599 Mac mini. 16 GB RAM from Apple makes that one a $799 Mac mini ;-)

The various configurations and prices are at:

Mac mini - Buy Mac mini Computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
What are you using 16 GB of RAM for mostly if not graphics - if I may ask.
Not trying to be nosy - just trying to understand - is this due to running windows and os x ?

Old 10-21-2014, 09:00 PM   #23

Some of the bigger photo editing applications like Lightroom may work better with more RAM.

As for specs, you want USB 3 ports to have access to fast, cheap external drives. The new ones probably include USB 3 as well as Thunderbolt ports. But Thunderbolt drives are at least twice as much as USB 3 drives.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #24

I'm not spncity, but I have an iMac with 12 GB of RAM. I could certainly get by with less, but having more if handy for a number of things.

Mac OS X will put "extra" RAM to use. One example is disk cache.

You can also leave lots of apps running. I currently have 11 apps running - Safari, Mail, Calendar, Notes, Terminal, Xcode , Numbers, some others. I could quit them and relaunch them quickly enough, but with Mission Control they can each be living on their own virtual screen. It's handy.

Looking at Activity Monitor it says that 11.91 GB of the 12 GB are "used". Virtual Memory is 43 GB along with 18 GB of swap. It's been running for 5 days (since I updated to final version of 10.10). Here's the memory status:

Generally more is better, but not necessarily cost effective.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:47 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Where would one look for the previous version? I don't see any on the website - refurbished or otherwise.

Thanks for any comments...
Got mine at Bestbuy yesterday. They only had two left.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #26

Thank you for this topic and for all the comments.

Is there any advantage to getting the server Mac mini? I could connect an old 2007 MacBook (not pro) and an older iMac to it ... ?

Would this work and how much learning curve would there be?

I was thinking that way it would be like having a new computer for two instead of one. Or am I off here?

Sent from my iPhone
Old 10-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #27

Server config comes with two disks and some admin software to run your own web server, VPN, mail, etc.

You can set up a mail server to store say your media files and other computers can connect to it. But unless you attach a lot of storage to it, there's no advantage in storing the media on the server computer and having other computers access it over the network, unless your other computers are old, have little storage, etc.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #28

Well, yes, that was what I imagined... hooking up older apple computers that really don't have enough speed, memory, or storage on their own to be of much use any more.

But getting into servers is probably above my pay grade. Imagining can be a lot different than reality.

Thanks for comments.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I just ordered one to replace a circa 2004 Mac Mini the father-in-law uses as his way to get mail, web, and general internet access. The old machine, with latest available software and patches, just doesn't handle modern web sites very well, and some apps he relies on like Skype are no longer supported (or working!) on that machine.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #30

Quote:
What are you using 16 GB of RAM for mostly if not graphics - if I may ask.
Not TOO much usually. But I upgraded when RAM was a lot cheaper than it is now. But I do run virtualization software (VMWare Fusion) on a Boot Camp partition so when I have Windows loaded and running in a VM, I give it 3 dedicated cores and 6 GB of RAM, leaving 5 cores and 10 GB for Mac OS. Other than that, I could probably make do with 8 GB.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote