Join Early Retirement Today

MacBook Hardware Upgraded
Old 07-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

MacBook Hardware Upgraded

Got a bee in my bonnet from the Dumb & Blind MacBook thread.
Dumb&Blind........MacBook Question
Decided to upgrade my MacBook Pro from 4 Meg Ram to 16 Meg
and went with a 1 TB SSD hard Drive.
Woo Hoo, this thing is screaming fast.
$500 upgrade Vs $1700 New Machine. I'm happy for the moment.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

OWC Mercury Electra 3G SSD:

Capacity: 960.2 GB (960,197,124,096 bytes)
Model: OWC Mercury Electra 3G SSD

Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2017, 05:33 PM   #2

Congratulations!

MacBookPro7,1 is a "Mid-2010" MacBook Pro.

The extra memory doesn't hurt, but I expect it's the SSD that makes it "scream". Switching to SSDs was the single most impressive upgrade I've ever experienced on a computer. Anyone who still runs a spinning hard disk is really torturing themselves. Spinning HDs are great for backup, but not running as a primary disk on a computer.

mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Congratulations!

The extra memory doesn't hurt, but I expect it's the SSD that makes it "scream". Switching to SSDs was the single most impressive upgrade I've ever experienced on a computer. Anyone who still runs a spinning hard disk is really torturing themselves. Spinning HDs are great for backup, but not running as a primary disk on a computer.
The Ram was cheap enough I figure it couldn't hurt.
Unbelievable an Excel spreadsheet just took about 4 seconds to open when it was taking almost 2 min prior. And a cold start took 27 seconds Vs 90 prior.
It's like having a brand new computer.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:51 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Congratulations!

+1

When I phased out of my work PC to the MacBook I thought this was the coolest thing ever not having to wait around all the time. Now I'm spoiled if I ever get the spinning beachball and have to wait a few seconds I get cranky.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:09 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a sweet upgrade .
Old 07-19-2017, 08:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Sounds like a sweet upgrade .
I've had this one for near 7 years so maybe I can get another 5 years or so, it would be well worth the outlay. I used to go thru PC's like I went thru socks.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #7

All I use my MacBook Air for is surfing the internet. The main reason I bought it is that it had a SSD (my first one). Just the fact that I could open the laptop turn it on and be using it in a few seconds made it all worth it. Now my desktop has a SSD with a 1TB HDD for backup. Like most upgrades/improvements, I can't imagine what it would be like to have to go back to a regular main hard drive.

Great upgrade. I'm not a Mac person and I didn't know they could be upgraded. Sounds well worth it for what you got out of it. Personally, it frustrates me to have had to buy so many computers in my life as I rode the new technology. Good job extending the life of a perfectly good machine, not to mention the inevitable software upgrade that you usually have to buy when you buy a new computer.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:04 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Decided to upgrade my MacBook Pro from 4 Meg Ram to 16 Meg
and went with a 1 TB SSD hard Drive.
Sounds like the perfect upgrade; well done!
Long may it last.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:49 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittingduck View Post
+1

When I phased out of my work PC to the MacBook I thought this was the coolest thing ever not having to wait around all the time. Now I'm spoiled if I ever get the spinning beachball and have to wait a few seconds I get cranky.
The beachball is typically a sign you are running out of RAM. The computer then needs to 'swap' some not-currently-being-used-memory out to the disk drive. Hard drives are far, far slower than RAM, so big slowdown. Check your RAM usage (Activity Monitor I think it is called on a Mac?), you'd probably benefit from more RAM.

An SSD is much faster than a spinning hard drive, but it is still far slower than RAM. RAM has a very direct connection to the CPU, but it has to go through an interface to get to the SSD, and the SSD memory itself is not as fast as RAM.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #10

Interesting that you could go to 16MB RAM - I have a newer MacBook Pro (8,2 - early 2011) and it is limited to 8MB max RAM (I was pretty sure that when I added 4MB to it a few years ago it was maxed out, but I just verified this).

I'm probably going to spring for a new one soon, but since it's my only computer and the place I use it most won't accommodate a large monitor, I need to get another 15" model for eye comfort, and that's enough $$ to make me hesitate. Have to have a laptop as I take it to volunteer gigs regularly. Glad to know about the speed bump of the SSD also.
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Interesting that you could go to 16MB RAM - I have a newer MacBook Pro (8,2 - early 2011) and it is limited to 8MB max RAM (I was pretty sure that when I added 4MB to it a few years ago it was maxed out, but I just verified this).
The particular model used by the OP has a Nvidia chipset that allows 16 GB of RAM. I have the same model, and it is kind of a fluke in some ways.
jimbee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
The particular model used by the OP has a Nvidia chipset that allows 16 MB of RAM. I have the same model, and it is kind of a fluke in some ways.
I sure hope you really mean 16 GB, not 16 MB!

If you are, that's a very, very old computer. Heck, my System Monitor is telling me that this tab alone is using ~ 100 MB of resources!

-ERD50
Old 07-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

If you are, that's a very, very old computer. Heck, my System Monitor is telling me that this tab alone is using ~ 100 MB of resources!

-ERD50
Oops!

Thanks, yes, 16 GB. Old fingers...
jimbee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #14

Quote:
According to Apple my model can only use 8 gb of ram but according to the guru of Mac upgrades it can be upped to 16 gb so I rolled the dice and low and behold they are right.

Go to this site: https://www.macsales.com then click memory on top and it will guide you to your model. Just doing a quick look it appears your 2011 can do 16 gb. https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memo..._1333MHz_SDRAM
Old 07-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #15

Quote:

-ERD50
I screwed up my original post.
Gig not Meg.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
According to Apple my model can only use 8 gb of ram but according to the guru of Mac upgrades it can be upped to 16 gb so I rolled the dice and low and behold they are right.

Go to this site: https://www.macsales.com then click memory on top and it will guide you to your model. Just doing a quick look it appears your 2011 can do 16 gb. https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memo..._1333MHz_SDRAM
There were a few odd models that could physically accept X GB, but really could only access a portion of that. I don't recall if it was a limitation to the mother board, or the CPU.

-ERD50
Old 07-20-2017, 02:58 PM   #17

Quote:
There were a few odd models that could physically accept X GB, but really could only access a portion of that. I don't recall if it was a limitation to the mother board, or the CPU.

-ERD50
While looking around the OWC site there were a bunch I seen that could not be upgraded, for what reason I have no clue.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #18

Well, there's an online "Black Friday in July" sale at BestBuy and lo and behold the 15" MacBook Pro with the 512GB SSD is $350 off list (which hardly ever happens for Macs). Available for pickup today at a nearby store, so I went for it. Once I've got everything going on the new one, I'll either give this to one of our kids or donate it to someplace that can use it (I checked and it's worth less than $300 to sell used).
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:21 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

ifixit site has several areas devoted to mac products. there are complete tear-down guides. amazing. there are several ways to identify your products. examples below:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook

https://www.ifixit.com/Info/ID-your-Mac
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:09 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe too late but Best Buy has a student discount for an additional $100, basically if you just know a student , bought a new iMac from them last weekend, $200 less than the Simply Mac authorized Apple Store

Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote