Join Early Retirement Today

Macroeconomics
Old 01-24-2004, 06:24 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Macroeconomics

This article adds to what I have said in various posts about domestic employment, the standard of living, and foreign trade:

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...columnist_baum
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Garbage in, garbage out
Old 01-24-2004, 07:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Garbage in, garbage out

Business Week ran an article last month about the labor survey.

Its point was that the survey, although the best data-collection system in existence for tracking employment, is so flawed in participation & sample size, and so overcorrected for things like seasonality, that the results can easily swing by 50,000 each way. When the error range is bigger than the number, who can distinguish the data from the "corrections"?

Perhaps we need a better system for getting the numbers before we can analyze them.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Garbage in, garbage out
Old 01-31-2004, 02:50 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Re: Garbage in, garbage out

Quote:
* * Perhaps we need a better system for getting the numbers before we can analyze them.
As with most things in life, it's not as important to know exactly where you are, as to know whether you are headed in the right direction.

I think that there is enough money spent on collecting economic statistics. Spending more to slightly refine the precision of the data would do very little to resolve the eternal political/economic question: What is the "best" economic policy for the government to be implementing at any particular time.
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Macroeconomics
Old 01-31-2004, 03:57 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Re: Macroeconomics

Rant time

Before ER, I spent some research dollars looking at the then state of factory simulation modeling (not popular in govt. contracts as I found out). Every June - Dec., I watch the hurricane models.

I suspect something similar could be developed for SS, govt. budgets, and the like. Data crunching and projections are in the hands of various 'fiefdoms?' without benifit of independant pier review.

I suspect that the technology exists to provide 'forward vision' based on 'multiple variables'. Not the static 'lifted out of context' junk that surfaces in the media.

End rant
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote