Join Early Retirement Today

Re: MADD - Why no Outrage against Cell Phones??
Old 11-26-2005, 06:54 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Below is a link to the NCSL concerning this subject. It's a fairly long article. This is their conclusion........

"Conclusion
State legislatures continue to take the lead in response to driver distraction concerns.* Although many things and activities can divert a driver's attention away from the road, the high visibility of cell phones, public opinion, local ordinances and judicial activity have made the cell phone the focus of much state legislative activity.* As cell phones and other wireless devices in motor vehicles continue to increase in popularity, state legislatures will be increasingly challenged to examine and react to concerns about the relationship between phones and traffic safety.* Driver distraction legislation, however, has expanded well beyond proposals to prohibit all cell phones in cars. * More frequently, legislatures are considering proposals that target specific drivers or cover a wider range of potentially distracting activities.* It is a trend that is likely to continue as state legislatures start their 2006 session."

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/transpo...neupdate05.htm

I for one welcome the review of all distractions in motor vehicles. I'm sure others, as already expressed, will take the opposite view.*
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2005, 07:00 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
Ok dammit, since theres obviously a conspiracy involved here to force me to post something, here ya go.

Please allow me to clear up a few misconceptions I see here, and make a few other notes and observations. This whole topic actually came up a while back, but nobody has a good memory so....
Oh I remembered. I did point out in my discussion with JG that no one was arguing against CT's premise that using cell phones caused more accidents than driving while drunk.

EDIT: I think one of the biggest problems with making cell phone use while driving illegal is that people are now so used to using them while driving that they won't follow the law. Or will use hands free versions which are more difficult to spot. And I have read that there is no evidence that hand's free cell phone use is safer than using a typical cell phone. The talking is the distraction--not the holding of the phone.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 07:10 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51

I for one welcome the review of all distractions in motor vehicles. I'm sure others, as already expressed, will take the opposite view.*
Be careful what you wish for.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 07:40 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Be careful what you wish for.

JG
Yes, if we eliminate all distractions then drivers will fall asleep and have an accident.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 08:52 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I vote for the rocket-launcher!!

"If I had a rocket-launcher, some son-of-a-bitch would die..."

Bruce Cockburn

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 10:21 AM   #46

Quote:
No "hero".* A demagogue and all-around nut job.* However, I will see
the movie and report back.* I should add that while I agree with neither
his methods nor his conclusions, he did have some good ideas.* But,
so did Hitler.

JG
Okay, I'll bite. It seems to me that Hitler's government was more intrusive than anything we face today by a long shot. McCarthy was a similar architect of intrusive government. This is something you regularly rant against.

What specific good ideas do you think these two men offered?
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 10:30 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
Okay, I'll bite. It seems to me that Hitler's government was more intrusive than anything we face today by a long shot. McCarthy was a similar architect of intrusive government. This is something you regularly rant against.

SG, I'll bet when you were a kid you could never walk past a hornet's nest without throwing a rock at it, just to see what would happen...

Old 11-26-2005, 10:40 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
SG, I'll bet when you were a kid you could never walk past a hornet's nest without throwing a rock at it, just to see what would happen...

Only if the hornets were being pompous fools.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:41 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Okay, I'll bite.

Didn't you have this conversation reciprocated diatribe already with *****?

(Edited to reflect SG's good point!)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:46 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Didn't you have this conversation already with *****?
Does anyone really ever have a conversation with *****?

On the surface, it appears similar to a conversation. You address things he says. He says more things -- a lot more things. You point out that he hasn't addressed your questions. He says more things. He says still more things. He rants. . . But it's not really a conversation, is it?
Old 11-26-2005, 02:53 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Since I came on pretty strong further upthread about my bias against people talking on cell phones while driving, I will clarify that my opinion is based on 2 facts (to me):

1. I ran my one and only red light in my entire driving career in 1985 while talking on my mobile phone in my company car in Oklahoma City. I could have easily been killed or killed someone else. That incident cured me forever.

2. It is easy to spot who are on cellphones in moving traffic. Time and time again, I have correctly pegged the idiot in front of me wandering, going too slow for traffic, slow responses to acceleration and braking, etc.

I am sure that may also occur with those fiddling with the sound system or lighting a cigarette, putting on makeup, reading the newspaper, eating a donut and drinking hot coffee... but those are relatively insignificant in numbers compared to the large numbers of people now on cell phones. You have to regulate when things start to get out of hand.

AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 03:29 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed
Since I came on pretty strong further upthread about my bias against people talking on cell phones while driving, I will clarify that my opinion is based on 2 facts (to me):

1. I ran my one and only red light in my entire driving career in 1985 while talking on my mobile phone in my company car in Oklahoma City. I could have easily been killed or killed someone else. That incident cured me forever.

2.* It is easy to spot who are on cellphones in moving traffic. Time and time again, I have correctly pegged the idiot in front of me wandering, going too slow for traffic, slow responses to acceleration and braking, etc.*

I am sure that may also occur with those fiddling with the sound system or lighting a cigarette, putting on makeup, reading the newspaper, eating a donut and drinking hot coffee... but those are relatively insignificant in numbers compared to the large numbers of people now on cell phones.* You have to regulate when things start to get out of hand.

I think you were overly impacted by your "near miss". Your last sentence
is nonsense. Who's to say when things get "out of hand"?
Everyone has a different position. Let's debate, not regulate.

JG
Old 11-26-2005, 03:59 PM   #53

Quote:
Does anyone really ever have a conversation with *****?* *

On the surface, it appears similar to a conversation.* You address things he says.* He says more things -- a lot more things.* You point out that he hasn't addressed your questions.* He says more things.* He says still more things.* He rants. . .* But it's not really a conversation, is it?* *
Hey man. You are missing the point. It does not matter (to me) what you think. It only matters what I think. Ain't it cool?

I have not decided if I will respond to the McCarthy/Hitler question.
Stay tuned for further developments.

JG
Old 11-26-2005, 04:16 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have not decided if I will respond to the McCarthy/Hitler question.
Stay tuned for further developments.

JG
The last time you said something like this, you took a two week holiday from posting on the board. Can we expect something similar this time?

Old 11-27-2005, 12:55 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Leaving aside the legal aspect of this topic...

As a matter of personal responsibility, one should pay attention when driving. If you're too drunk, too stoned, too pissed off, too involved in a conversation, or too stupid to drive reasonably, then stay the frick off the road...

Is it too much to ask that you drive with the flow of traffic, signal your intentions, plan for exits by getting in the proper lane, etc?

Bad manners!!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:43 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

the way i figure it if 47% of all accidents involve either cell phone use or drinking, than has anyone noticed its safer to drive on your cell phone or drunk than it is sober?
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:19 AM   #57
Dryer sheet wannabe

Is it too much to ask that you drive with the flow of traffic, signal your intentions, plan for exits by getting in the proper lane, etc?

In the Middle East? Yes! Just ask Dory...
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote