Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #41

Consumer Reports, Kiplinger's, Photoshop User, Motorcycle Consumer News (CR for motorcyclists, no ads) and a Photography magazine I forget the name of now.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wasting Time magazine. When people ask me what I do all day, I toss them the latest issue.

Hobby Hut with Neil Clummer - Bob & Ray | Listen, Appearances, Song Review | AllMusic

Click
Hobby Hut with Neil Clummer

Old 08-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Wasting Time magazine. When people ask me what I do all day, I toss them the latest issue.

Hobby Hut with Neil Clummer - Bob & Ray | Listen, Appearances, Song Review | AllMusic

Old 08-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Had $$ left on an Amazon card so I subscribed to HGTV and DIY mags. Hubby gets Family Handyman...I think it was a gift from his boss. Used to get Kiplingers and Money but now I read those if I'm at Barnes and Noble.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Economist, for 30 years now, Dw calls herself an 'Economist Widow'

Was going to add Horse and Hounds as an inside joke.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vanity Fair, which I love.

And I GET Golf Digest, but I didn't subscribe. Never played golf once... I called to ask if it was a mistake, and their records indicate I paid by check? WTH? DH doesn't play either. VERY odd. And I can't get them to stop sending it. Grrrrr....

DH subscribes to National Geographic and Handgunner.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
And I GET Golf Digest, but I didn't subscribe. Never played golf once... I called to ask if it was a mistake, and their records indicate I paid by check? WTH? DH doesn't play either. VERY odd. And I can't get them to stop sending it. Grrrrr....
We've been getting Conde Nast Traveler for the last 3 or 4 months. Never subscribed, certainly never paid. I haven't bothered to follow up, but I do feel a little guilty dumping it straight into the recycle bin from the mailbox. So many trees that could have become boxes or cutting boards instead.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

None for me. I tried to not read anything printed after 1750 while I was doing research for my novels, but Free ebooks - Project Gutenberg sucked me in. I have read about fifty civil war books from there. Interesting, but no help to the books I'm working on.

I used to get the Nascar one, Inside Winston Cup. But they are costly and they take up so much space. When I bought my last five year hunting and fishing permit, I got six months free from one of the gun magazines. We still get turf management, fund raising and artist booking ones at work, even though we have been out of rec, grant writing and booking shows for 13 years.

DW has cut way back. Now she only gets TV Guide, Guide Posts, Reader's Digest and a couple of cooking mags. Forever she got the Good and Better ones, plus a few others.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been subscribing to Consumer Reports for over 30 years. Great magazine!

I also ready Money...but only until the free subscription from airline points runs out. Then I only renew if I have more airline points to blow.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #50

Consumer Reports, South Carolina Wildlife, SC Market Bulletin.

We used to get National Geographic and may again. Thinking about Smithsonian.

Larro...One of my passions is also Civil War history and that era. My wife does Genealogical work.
Here's a source of neat stuff... Browse: DocSouth
Old 08-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #51

Astronomy, Log Home Living, Mother Earth News, Cooks Illustrated, and Popular Mechanics- the last one is always purchased through the annual fund drive from one of my nephews or nieces elementary schools.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Larro...One of my passions is also Civil War history and that era. My wife does Genealogical work.
Here's a source of neat stuff... Browse: DocSouth
Dave, I used docsouth to research the laws for N. C. from 1700-1720. Back when Charles Eden, Tobias Knight and their friend Edward Thatche all lived just outside Bath Town.

I think it was also the first place I found a copy of John Lawson's History of North Carolina.

It has lots of good information on Alexander Spotswood too. All these guys have cameo appearances in my books, and I like to stick as close to the truth as I can.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #53
Dryer sheet wannabe

One of my favorite hang outs is the public library where I can read whatever magazines interest me at the time.
Like history, finance, travel
Old 08-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

There are several ways to get free magazines. As someone mentioned, several airlines, United, Delta and US Airways come to mindand let you use miles on mags. This is great if you have miles that would never accumulate to be good for an upgrade or free ticket. The other source is e-rewards - e-Rewards Opinion Panel ? Answer surveys, Earn Rewards, Easy. which offers several types of rewards, but the best value is the magazine selection. Also e-miles - e-Miles: Earn miles for free and redeem towards your favorite reward program - more surveys and the miles can be used for a variety of things, including local newspapers.

We subscribe (meaning pay for) to QST - a ham radio magazine, and Washingtonian, a local area magazine. We get about 8 others magazines for free, ranging from New York to Cigar Afficianado. I would probably never pay for these, but I rotate through different ones to see what's interesting. Except for Enteretainment - the DW loves that one . I do download digital versions of some so I can read them on my iPad.

If you ever get desperate for something to read, there are tons of free "industry" magazines that are good for balancing table legs but not much else, unless you really enjoy reading the Vending Machine News or Machine Tool Digest .