Magazine Subscriptions ?

You might be thinking of Playboy. But yea, they occasionally may highlight a cute runner.

as long as she can't run faster and farther than me :)

Money and Kiplinger for me right now. Boring. Gave up the WSJ once they stopped offering a year for ~$100.

None here for a while. Back in the 1990s, when my grandfather was still alive, he ordered for me a gift subscription to Reader's Digest for a few years. The last magazine I actually subscribed to with my own money was Baseball Digest for a few years in the late 1970s through 1980 when I was a teenager.

I subscribe to 3 ham radio journals - QST, SPRAT and QRP Quarterly. About 10 years ago, I was offered a lifetime subscription to Rolling Stone for $40, so took it and 10 years later, they are still sending it. Back when I was a lot more into music, Mojo and Q were my magazines of choice, but it was hard to turn down RS for life for a mere $40.

If and when I get a tablet, I may take out a digital subscription to National Geographic. I had that magazine for almost 10 years before and loved it.

I get Money, Kiplinger's, Consumer's Digest, Golf, and DW gets National Geographic and Yoga Journal.

Also get WSJ. You can still get it for $100 if you are a student. I'm a student of life! :)

Kiplingers, Money, Consumer Reports, TV Guide, Entertainment Weekly, and Readers Digest.

When it is $10/year its not too bad. Still like the tactile feel of having a magazine vs a tablet or electronic version. I won't be renewing TV Guide because there are too many 'double issues' and I am getting my fill of entertainment/movie/tv info from EW.

If the price point is right, I would add Popular Science and/or Popular Mechanics. Some of the cabin living and DIY magazines would be nice, but I don't have a cabin (yet) and I am not much of a DIY'er :blush:

I stopped getting magazines when I was seasonally moving back and forth between 2 places, because it was too difficult to time the address changes. Now I'm set in one place, so I've tried a few, but mostly limited to special deals, especially to use a few airline miles and keep the rest from expiring.

I liked Outside magazine and will get that again next time I need to use airline miles, if it's available.

I used to like Time many years ago, but they seemed to have gone out of their way to have annoying cover photos and very limited content. I actually tried to stop it even though I was getting it free but it was too difficult.

Readers Digest was another one I used to like, but now they just seem to want to tell me what I should eat, what I should be outraged about, and how to live my life. Didn't it used to have more interesting stories?

I think someone here had recommended a special for a handyman magazine, and that was pretty good but I'm not really enough of a handyman to use the info.

I've tried a couple different subscriptions for sports at my alma mater, but it's expensive and I've found I set it aside more than I read it so I'm not renewing.

Garden and Gun is my fav. Seems like a strange title but if you're into all things Southern it's an awesome magazine.

That looks like a fun magazine..........................

I do a ton of stuff online, but like sitting outside with a real magazine to leaf through....

Money, Kiplinger, Forbes, Wired, PC Magazine

Currently getting but will not renew: Inc, Fortune, Entrepeneur

Want to get but can't bring myself to spend the $$: The Economist

The Economist, Kiplinger's Personal Finance, Smithsonian, National Geographic

Did not re-subscribe to BusinessWeek and Time - The Economist does a better job all the way around.

Am currently looking at what's available at the library for reading on my tablet - thought I saw the Economist there as well.

-- Rita

I don't want them around the house, but I kind of miss wired. For a while we used to get Food + Wine, which was kind of boring but did net me one of my favorite recipes. My wife typed it up in a family google doc dump, so I might as well post it here (how is that for a threadjack?):

DOS TOROS GRILLED CHICKEN TACOS

TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes plus 6+ hours marinating.
Makes 12

Ingredients:
3 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
2 lbs skinless boneless chicken thighs
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon dried parsley
12 corn tortillas, warmed
shredded Monterey jack cheese
jarred salsa verdes (GOYA Pico de Gallo is really good with this dish)
chopped avocado
chopped onions
chopped tomato
chopped cilantro

In a blender, puree tomatoes with lime juice, water and salt. Transfer the puree to a large resealable plastic bag and add chicken thighs. Seal the bag, pressing out the air. Refrigerate the chicken for 6 hrs or overnight.

Light a grill or preheat grill pan to moderate high. Remove the chicken things from the marinade and pat them dry. Brush with oil and sprinkle with paprika and parsley. Grill over moderate high heat, turning occasionally until chicken is lightly charred and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer chicken to a work surface and let stand for 5 minutes. Cut the chicken thighs into strips and serve with warmed tortillas, cheese, salsa, avocados, onions, tomatoes, and cilantro

Consumer Reports, Kiplinger's, Photoshop User, Motorcycle Consumer News (CR for motorcyclists, no ads) and a Photography magazine I forget the name of now.

Had $$ left on an Amazon card so I subscribed to HGTV and DIY mags. Hubby gets Family Handyman...I think it was a gift from his boss. Used to get Kiplingers and Money but now I read those if I'm at Barnes and Noble.

The Economist, for 30 years now, Dw calls herself an 'Economist Widow'

Was going to add Horse and Hounds as an inside joke.

Vanity Fair, which I love.

And I GET Golf Digest, but I didn't subscribe. Never played golf once... I called to ask if it was a mistake, and their records indicate I paid by check? WTH? DH doesn't play either. VERY odd. And I can't get them to stop sending it. Grrrrr....

DH subscribes to National Geographic and Handgunner.

And I GET Golf Digest, but I didn't subscribe. Never played golf once... I called to ask if it was a mistake, and their records indicate I paid by check? WTH? DH doesn't play either. VERY odd. And I can't get them to stop sending it. Grrrrr....

We've been getting Conde Nast Traveler for the last 3 or 4 months. Never subscribed, certainly never paid. I haven't bothered to follow up, but I do feel a little guilty dumping it straight into the recycle bin from the mailbox. So many trees that could have become boxes or cutting boards instead.

None for me. I tried to not read anything printed after 1750 while I was doing research for my novels, but Free ebooks - Project Gutenberg sucked me in. I have read about fifty civil war books from there. Interesting, but no help to the books I'm working on.

I used to get the Nascar one, Inside Winston Cup. But they are costly and they take up so much space. When I bought my last five year hunting and fishing permit, I got six months free from one of the gun magazines. We still get turf management, fund raising and artist booking ones at work, even though we have been out of rec, grant writing and booking shows for 13 years.

DW has cut way back. Now she only gets TV Guide, Guide Posts, Reader's Digest and a couple of cooking mags. Forever she got the Good and Better ones, plus a few others.

I've been subscribing to Consumer Reports for over 30 years. Great magazine!

I also ready Money...but only until the free subscription from airline points runs out. Then I only renew if I have more airline points to blow.

Consumer Reports, South Carolina Wildlife, SC Market Bulletin.

We used to get National Geographic and may again. Thinking about Smithsonian.

Larro...One of my passions is also Civil War history and that era. My wife does Genealogical work.
Here's a source of neat stuff... Browse: DocSouth

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom