Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

From what I have read one still needs a computer to hook the MagicJack into and also some type of phone headset. True?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

No, Magic Jack Plus can be plugged directly into an open port on your router. And mine is also plugged into a regular Motorola phone with wireless handsets.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

How can MagicJack be used when the only internet available in a hotel room is via wifi.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #44

I think in that case you would want to plug directly into your laptop. Would then need a mic as well.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #45
Dryer sheet wannabe

Chuckanut - connect your computer to the hotel wifi, then connect the magicjack to the USB connection of the computer.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #46

You can also download the MagicJack app for your cellphone and make calls that way as well. We have the home number forwarded to my iPhone when we're out so that we can still answer important calls.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

The call quality appears quite good. I get calls from Magic Jack numbers every day, mostly from the (202) numbers the IRS agents in India and Pakistan use.

(Magic Jack has blocks of numbers in lots of area codes. The Washington DC area code is popular with the scammers, and they use a bunch of Magic Jack numbers.)
Old 08-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have used Majic Jack for four years now. No problems to report but I basically use it for US calls. Works fine for faxing as well. Heck of a lot cheaper than land line. No calls from people begging for money either!
Old 08-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #49

I looked at Magic Jack but didn't want to incur the ongoing $20/year fee (I know...I'm cheap). Google voice is completely free. I just needed to buy a $38 Obitalk 100 from Amazon, request a free local phone number from Google, and now I have a great VOIP line with excellent call quality and no fees whatsoever. And it works with any cordless phone system, so you can buy one of those devices at Costco with one base and four cordless handsets for around $39 and have land lines in every room in your house.

I've had it for a year now...no issues.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #50

Before porting your home number to MJ, try it out with a different number. While people have different experiences as far as call quality, for a myriad of unknown reasons, many (including me) have serious issues with call quality and dropped calls.
I had used MJ about 5 years ago with no issues, but my current switch to port my home number with MJ+ has been a nightmare.
If you google "MagicJack loud beeps" ... you'll see that experiences vary... but no good solution. Often mentioned is a DTMF adjustment that the MJ online tech can set for your phone. It didn't/doesn't work for me or for most of the complaints.
The same complaints also show up on the Ooma forums.

No... it doesn't happen to everyone, and chances are that changing will go well, but if you're considering porting your home number... maybe you should try it out with another number first. Porting took 6 days for me, and I never received notification that it had been completed, so it was trial and error to see when it happened.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I've been considering getting a Magic Jack for making calls home while overseas. I would be interested in what people think of the device, especially when using it from outside one's home country. Thanks.
If this is just a few calls once in a while, Skype works great for that. I used it a few years ago, would have been free to call home to others on Skype, but calls to landlines/cells were just something like 2 cents a minute from Hungary to US. So a half-hour call back home was just ~ 60 cents. Not even worth saying "OK, now that I got you on the regular phone, hang up and switch to Skype-to-Skype".

You can even put Skype on a smart-phone with wi-fi, won't even need the laptop and headset.

Plus, no hardware to buy/carry.

-ERD50
Old 08-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
I've been considering getting a Magic Jack for making calls home while overseas. I would be interested in what people think of the device, especially when using it from outside one's home country. Thanks.
I have used it from Spain, France and Italy to Vancouver without trouble. I also use it for 6 months from Mexico. In Mexico it works best when the internet is not busy. So mid-morning is the worst time, and Christmas day.

I also use their smartphone app (Talk Free).
Old 08-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #53

My daughter called us on her magic jack from central america and southeast asia (these were two trips with a year between them).

The call quality went from barely tolerable to horrific.

But the problem was that the underlying internet connections were typically at hostels or open wifi points.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:20 AM   #54

I have has MJ for several years now. Works just like a phone. Voice quality is better than cell, not as good as land line. Good part is it works with any Ethernet port, so when I moved I could keep the same number, just plug it in and it works.

If you are concerned about reliability one could get a cheap cell phone, like Net10, which is $15 a month as a backup.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #55
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
I've used it in Japan and various countries in Europe (mainly Germany and Portugal) without any problems at all for the last three or four years (can't remember exactly when I got it).
Old 08-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I looked at Magic Jack but didn't want to incur the ongoing $20/year fee (I know...I'm cheap). Google voice is completely free. I just needed to buy a $38 Obitalk 100 from Amazon, request a free local phone number from Google, and now I have a great VOIP line with excellent call quality and no fees whatsoever. And it works with any cordless phone system, so you can buy one of those devices at Costco with one base and four cordless handsets for around $39 and have land lines in every room in your house.

I've had it for a year now...no issues.

I have been using Obitalk and Google voice for a few years now. Nothing like 100% free home phone service that works great.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #57

Google Voice is no longer promising to support Obihai hardware, so that option is problematic. I'm using an Obi 110 with the Phone Power $35/year plan and it has been working fine. They have a soft phone capability we'll try next year on vacation.