Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would likely be snowbirding between Vermont (May-Oct) and someplace warm (FL, AZ or perhaps SC - Nov-Apr).

Vermont house will be where I am sitting now or perhaps down the road - we're pretty settled here. Winter home would be 3 bdrm/2 bath house or condo and less than 2000 sf. Perhaps an RV, but probably not.

We'll continue doing our own lawn care, etc as long as we are physically able, but for the winter home will hire it out since it would need to be done year round.

I imagine that we'll travel a couple times a year and we still have a lot of the world to explore.

I expect to still be play golf and tennis regularly and perhaps even still downhill skiing occasionally - albeit at a slower pace. And I expect that we will continue to be close to the kids and see them regularly.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Yeah, I am still a busy guy,,,,
Old 02-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I am still a busy guy,,,,

I'll bite... I'm 69... so 1/2 year away...

Where will you be living? North, south, rural, suburban, urban... and Warm, cold... or in between?
Same area I'm in now... Texas

Your house/apartment or maybe RV? Big, small, old, new, upgraded... or maybe still undecided about the coming 15 to 20 years?
See above - living in either our main house (2000 square feet) or a smaller one.

Upkeep? Lawn, garden, repairs, maintenance... Outsource? Self? Provided by community? Condo etc?
I have a lawn service because I am still working and traveling a lot on business. When I stop work, I will do the yard work myself.

Travel? World?, Local? Cruise? Investigate... Parks/History/Theater... Car, Tours, RV? And how much of this travel? Weekly, Monthly, a few times a year, or maybe never?
Tired of traveling for the time being.

Time spent thinking about money? This is tricky...
Involvement with Family? Kids? Relatives? Live close? Visit? They visit you?

I think about it as much as I can right now. otherwise, I think about my hobbies (rebuilding old cars, fixing things at the two other houses, golf, etc.)

Social Life... You really have to think about this. Social groups? Church? Neighborhood? Community... like community living, or volunteer groups?
Probably similar to now. I have a circle of golf buddies, my wife has involvement in an active church group.

Physical... planned exercise regimen? sports... golf, biking, swimming, softball... or normal every day activities of shopping, chores, working around the house. See above. Plus I still run around the oil field....

Sleep... This may sound funny, but how long would you expect to sleep? Would you expect daily naps? I don't take naps, they are a waste of time. My wife naps though.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:46 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Most timely post for me. Recently a coworker's FIL passed at age 72, too young. I also spoke to two former coworkers, whom are retired. I had great fun & satisfaction working large engineering construction projects with them, they were like brothers. Both told me that they just turned 70 !! How could that be?? We were just working together ?? Not exactly, Yes they are 70, Yes time flies.

So here I am at 59, pondering ER as the time will fly, with or without me, and 70 will be knocking on my door soon. No great changes in lifestyle, but no workie will be great.

Things for me,
Relocate to Fla,
Keep RV & travel longer trips, sell plane (boohoo)
Maintain PT routine as long as possible
Travel to see kids & spend more time with them
Enjoy life and those around me
Cessna5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:32 AM   #24

This is a timely post, since dealing with FIL's issues has been a wake-up call that the time will inevitably come when I'm either dead or cannot do what I do now at age 62. And I have to think about "where does that leave DW?"

My mother moved to a CCRC (Continuous Care Retirement Community) that worked out very well for her, and I believe FIL would be much better off if he had done the same five years ago.

So I'm very much leaning in that direction. There will come a time when the maintenance issues of home ownership become a pain and a CCRC all that goes away. There will probably come a time when I can't drive and having everything close by makes that less of an issue. FIL in particular was completely socially isolated in his suburban house when he couldn't drive and his main contact was DW. We could see that had a very bad effect on him. In contrast, my mother had a great time with all that the CCRC had to offer even after she couldn't drive.

Additionally, all of the relatives a generation or two ahead of us had a lot of help, such as we are doing for FIL now, to make the transition. We will not have that help so we need to make that change before it becomes a crisis as FIL did. Our thought is that the sooner we make the change the easier it will be.

My interests in photography and radio control models will not change, and R/C in particular is easier than ever with the capabilities of electrics and gyros for helicopters so one doesn't need a workbench full of tools to participate.

Neither of us has an interest in extensive travel but we do enjoy day trips and short one to three night trips so I think/hope we'll do more of that. Even here in WV the local paper publishes a four page or longer list of things to every week for entertainment within an hour or two driving time.

One extensive source of information is here and they publish several versions of magazine-type publications (free, but they do ask for a $5 donation to defray costs). And despite my differences with AARP's politics they do have a lot of information that can be helpful.

So this issue has been very much on my mind lately.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:20 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have 31 years to go before 70...

Where will you be living? North, south, rural, suburban, urban... and Warm, cold... or in between?
Somewhere warm and laid back....maybe some trips up North for fun.

Your house/apartment or maybe RV? Big, small, old, new, upgraded... or maybe still undecided about the coming 15 to 20 years?
Love our house now....but if we do sell it, it will be smaller if not the same size.

Upkeep? Lawn, garden, repairs, maintenance... Outsource? Self? Provided by community? Condo etc?
DH would do it on his own...

Travel? World?, Local? Cruise? Investigate... Parks/History/Theater... Car, Tours, RV? And how much of this travel? Weekly, Monthly, a few times a year, or maybe never?
I think I will be tired of running all over the world by then...probably day trips.

Time spent thinking about money?
Hopefully, every few months to make sure we are on track.

Involvement with Family? Kids? Relatives? Live close? Visit? They visit you?
Yes, hopefully there will be some great grand kids by then for me to spoil

Social Life... You really have to think about this. Social groups? Church? Neighborhood? Community... like community living, or volunteer groups?
Yes, we have a good network with like minded people and hope to continue having that.

Physical... planned exercise regimen? sports... golf, biking, swimming, softball... or normal every day activities of shopping, chores, working around the house.
Yes, lots of Yoga and strength training as well as taking care of the house, garden, and hobbies.

Sleep... This may sound funny, but how long would you expect to sleep?
YES! I take naps almost every day now....nothing like it!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I will be 65 this summer and my health is improving so 70+ is not much of a stretch of my imagination. I expect to be living where I am, riding bikes regularly, traveling a lot, and enjoying fine good wines and food. Based on my ongoing 6 weeks on the Florida gulf coast I may be adding a month or two down here in the cold season. The only other thing I can "anticipate" is that my ADHD attention will turn toward some new, unanticipated interest that I will add into the mix.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
The only other thing I can "anticipate" is that my ADHD attention will turn toward some new, unanticipated interest that I will add into the mix.
That...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm. Food for thought. I have never been much for those Decade "milestone" things. It is like my wife said as we crossed the Kansas/Oklahoma border yesterday: "Wow! Oklahoma looks a lot like Kansas."

Anyway, 70 for me is but a few weeks away and I don't, in retrospect, feel much different than I did ten years ago -- I am not, they tell me, any less active.

I would not want to predict what 80 (the OPs 70+) will be like. If I still feel the same (my Doctor's prediction) than I will consider myself very lucky to again be among the outliers. But I am not counting on it... even at this young age, I have quite a number of those I grew up with on my "remember only" list.

Oh! I do need less sleep now that at 60... a lot less.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd
Hmmm. Food for thought. I have never been much for those Decade "milestone" things. It is like my wife said as we crossed the Kansas/Oklahoma border yesterday: "Wow! Oklahoma looks a lot like Kansas."

Anyway, 70 for me is but a few weeks away and I don't, in retrospect, feel much different than I did ten years ago -- I am not, they tell me, any less active.

I would not want to predict what 80 (the OPs 70+) will be like. If I still feel the same (my Doctor's prediction) than I will consider myself very lucky to again be among the outliers. But I am not counting on it... even at this young age, I have quite a number of those I grew up with on my "remember only" list.

Oh! I do need less sleep now that at 60... a lot less.
Your comment Ron from your wife about Oklahoma/Kansas made me laugh and reminded me about a trip with my then wife 20 years ago, as we crossed the border from Kansas to Colorado. She immediately said, "where are the mountains"? Of course I had to ruffle her feathers by stating that Colorado wasn't one big mountain starting at a man made boundary line.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You left out sex.
Silly Rabbit, tricks are for kids!

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote