Join Early Retirement Today

Making a Dish Drain that Drains
Old 12-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Making a Dish Drain that Drains

I don't know if it's the humidity here or what, but I've never found a commercial dish drain that works. That is, they aren't angled enough, so the water just accumulated under drain.

Here's the one that I made that I've used for a few years:

It looks pretty redneck, and I plan to make a nicer one. I'm thinking I will buy a large stainless cookie sheet like this:

and drill drain holes on the sink side. I'll then build an angled support with some nice wood. This one will be higher up, so that no moisture accumulates at the lip of the sink. I might even make it large enough for two dish racks.

Any other ideas for this project? Or perhaps you've seen a commercial one that's angled?

Thanks,

Al

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I don't know if it's the humidity here or what, but I've never found a commercial dish drain that works. That is, they aren't angled enough, so the water just accumulated under drain.

Here's the one that I made that I've used for a few years:

It looks pretty redneck, and I plan to make a nicer one. I'm thinking I will buy a large stainless cookie sheet like this:

and drill drain holes on the sink side. I'll then build an angled support with some nice wood. This one will be higher up, so that no moisture accumulates at the lip of the sink. I might even make it large enough for two dish racks.

Any other ideas for this project? Or perhaps you've seen a commercial one that's angled?

Thanks,

Al
I made one just like the one you currently use, and considered case closed. Every now and then I give it a Clorox scrub.

Ha

Old 12-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you have a double sink? If so you could just set the drainer in one side and use it as is!!!

I live alone and that is how I do it!
Old 12-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As you probably know, some dish racks come with a matching rubber drain mat. Same problem as water tends to pool in these. Instead of using corrosive metal (uncoated metal will be exposed when you cut the holes in the cookie sheet), why not use the sheet to stiffen the rubber mat and add "elevators" in the back?
Old 12-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #5

Ha...
When you finalize the design, Patent it! Millions of Americans will thank you, and buy the final product.
Hard to see how we put a man on the moon, but...
Old 12-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
Administrator

Don't use wood for the feet. They'll soak up any stray water and breed bacteria.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
Do you have a double sink? If so you could just set the drainer in one side and use it as is!!!
This we do.

And when we have more dishes, we use the dishwasher as drying rack!

PS. We rarely run the dishwasher. Washing by hand does not take that long. The only problem is to have a good place to put the dishes, pots, and pans to dry.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #8

I look forward to seeing your new invention in next year's Christmas video.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #9

I've been using baking soda and vinegar slowly followed by hot water every month or so to clear out the drain.

It works well and keeps it smelling nice. But I don't live up there.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
Administrator

Normally I wouldn't suggest this to you, Al, but I did notice that you spent a bit on your kitchen earlier this year.

How about something like this as a solution?

Shop Whirlpool 24" Built-In Dishwasher (Black) ENERGY STAR at Lowes.com

I have a dishwasher, and also I have a drying rack in the right side of my double sink, for those items that I might prefer to wash manually.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #11

I should look at photos before posting.

My thing was about keeping drains clear. I agree that a dishwasher can handle the bulk.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Forget the dish drainer & buy a dishwasher !
Old 12-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

How about putting a microfiber towel under the dish drainer and then just hang it out to dry after the dishes have air dried?

We had a drainer built into the Corian countertop. Seems to work ok but I bought a drainer (see link) that makes piling post and pans to air dry easier. We only hand wash pots and pans and a few other things. Most dishes, glasses and cutlery go into the dishwasher.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I put the drainer in the larger of my two sinks, where it fits perfectly. When I want to soak pans in the large sink, I put the drainer on the (granite) countertop, and if I plan to put anything wet in it, I put a microfiber towel underneath.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

There are some on Amazon that look like they would drain well, by SimplyHuman or whatever that place is, and another company. They mostly have good reviews.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Al, I like your present approach. I think the "gutter" in the cookie sheet will attract guck, even with the holes. And the steel will show water spots more than your present acrylic cutting board does.

Acrylic sheets can be bent with some heat (a craft heat gun will do the trick, try it on some scrap first. Too much heat causes discoloration). If you want to go deluxe/custom, you could get another sheet like the one you have and bend the sink side down (use a hot pipe as a form?) so that it "hooks" into the sink.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #17

We got our dish rack from Costco 2 yrs ago (<$20), I don't know if they still sell this now. I found it on Amazon and Walmart for around $29. This unit is pitched at 2.2 degrees or 1/2 in per foot. Keep in mind gutters are only pitched 1/4- 1/2 in per 10 ft. This rack drains better than my flat roof does (0.5 degree pitch) and it ponds water. DW tells me it drains pretty well and you could always add a spacer like you do now to increase the pitch. This unit is collapsible and the bottom will drain or hold water if you reverse it. Here's the link:

Amazon.com - Progressive International Collapsible Dish Rack
Old 12-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #18

Where are those 3-D printers I keep hearing about? Making a custom dish drainer seems like the sort of thing they would be really good for.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Ha...
When you finalize the design, Patent it! Millions of Americans will thank you, and buy the final product.
Hard to see how we put a man on the moon, but...
I think the astronauts used paper plates...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #20

When we spec'd our stainless counter tops we designed in a drain board into the sink. We put our dish drainer basket on this sloped section of the counter - it drains into the sink. We opted not to do runnels since that would have been pricey.

Bonus, we mounted our under cabinet coffee maker above the drainer -so if the coffee pot overflows, it drains into the sink. The coffee pot is where the paper towels shows in this picture. (Sorry the picture is a mess - it was taken mid-remodel.)