Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-04-2008, 06:32 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Eh, this one wasnt the best I've had. I actually had a great one at Chevy's last month. I got my combo plate and noticed about halfway through eating that they forgot the chili relleno and notified the waitress. A few minutes later she came out with one that was about the size of my head. One of the biggest poblano's I've ever seen.

My favorite version is the "en nogata" non deep fried relleno thats stuffed with apples, raisins, seasoned ground potatoes and beef, baked and has a walnut cream sauce with pomegranate seeds sprinkled over it.

Chile en Nogada - Chiles in Walnut Sauce

It sounds way more complicated than it is.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Back in the goodle days, we used to frequent Eduardo's, an Italian place, run by Eduardo, of all people, for lunch away from Megaconglomocorp. The food was excellent as was Eduardo's daughter, especially the strombolis. So, this pizza thread, along with the homemade bread thread, got me hankerin'...

This is my lunch for the next four days. I labored for hours seconds opening the cans of dough, but otherwise, the filling is ground beef with sauted onions, green bell peppers, yellow squash, minced garlic, and fennel seed. Smear on a dab of sauce, spoon in the filling, top with parmesan, fold, spindle, and mutilate, then bake for about 18 minutes in a 400F oven.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:43 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have a Papa Murphy's pizza. You call it in, they make it, you pick it up, but they don't bake it for you. YOu take it home and bake it yourself within a few hours or the yeast doesn't work well.

We usually order with extra sauce, mushrooms, and banana peppers. We sprinkle on some basil and oregano at home for a good taste.

Yummy.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:17 AM   #44

i tried the premade dough from trader joes but got a thick, dense crust that was not good.

anyone put the dough into your cast iron to cook it pan style? i think i saw on tv, but haven't tried it.

You can have an excellent pizza-ish meal for one by using the frozen naan from trader joe's - i use it for everything! the kids eat it with cheese, popped in the toaster oven and it's like fresh pizza. i make flat bread sandwiches with all kinds of toppings, today was tuna with olive tapenade, topped with cheese - into the toaster oven and it was melty and chewy!
Old 10-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

That looks great, HaveFunds. I'll have to try that.

Here's my latest pizza. Note pan. Made with sauteed onions, raw onions, sun-dried tomatoes, farmer's market tomatoes, Kalamata olives, green olives, mozzeralla and cheddar cheese, olive oil, Ragu spaghetti sauce.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:20 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Here's my latest pizza. Note pan. Made with sauteed onions, raw onions, sun-dried tomatoes, farmer's market tomatoes, Kalamata olives, green olives, mozzeralla and cheddar cheese, olive oil, Ragu spaghetti sauce.

Mmmmmm...that looks goooood.

Where did you get the pan? I"ve looked around here for one like that and haven't found one yet.

omni
Old 10-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

I don't think it's possible to duplicate a true thin crust Neopolitan in a home oven, but that looks mighty tasty...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Good lookin' pie there Al!

Old 10-16-2008, 10:22 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Where did you get the pan?
I don't remember, sorry. But it does seem to make the pizza dramatically better.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:29 AM   #50

Try getting pizza dough from your local pizza shop. Not sure if the big chains sell it, but we get it from our local pizza cafe. 4 bucks for enough dough for two medium size pizzas.

Jim
Old 10-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

In lieu of fancy, schmancy pizza ovens and such, I prebake the crust for a bit, then add the toppings. Also, make sure the sauce is thick, or it'll make the crust soggy.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:42 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Mmmmmm...that looks goooood.

Where did you get the pan? I"ve looked around here for one like that and haven't found one yet.

omni

I used to have a pan like that. I got it in Oregon from a pizza take and bake place. Sadly it eventually broke (at the seam joining the rim) from overuse.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:36 PM   #53

Quote:
Where did you get the pan?
18" X .125" ALUMINUM PIZZA SCREEN Buy American Metalcraft Pizza Supplies Supplies 18718 Twin Supply

or

Amazon.com: 16" Pizza Screen (PZ-18716): Kitchen & Dining

or

pizza screen, Business Industrial, Home Garden items on eBay.com
Old 10-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Also, make sure the sauce is thick, or it'll make the crust soggy.
My Mom has always used Contadina Tomato Paste with excellent results. We had our own seasonings, but I see they also have it with various flavorings.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:35 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
My Mom has always used Contadina Tomato Paste with excellent results. We had our own seasonings, but I see they also have it with various flavorings.
Excellent idea - the low water content should help with getting the crust crispy.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

That pizza looks GOOD, Al.

For the screen pans you might also try a local restaurant supply store. The ones here sell to the public. The goods tend to be "industrial" looking because they're designed for restaurant kitchens, but we've found that this means they often (not always) are very durable.

When we visited Buenos Aires I had one of the best pizzas ever -- olive oil, a scattering of oregano, kalamata olives and yellow onions sliced paper-thin, on an amazing crust. Yum!

Finally, has anyone tried to construct a pizza oven from loose brick in their backyards? I'm thinking of attempting same on our concrete patio. Basically, I'd build a base and four walls from unmortared brick, and figure out something for the top (a slab of flagstone, maybe?). I'd fire the "oven" with wood and/or charcoal and bake bread/pizza in it, then disassemble it when I was done and store it for later. Obviously, the safety of such a contraption would be less than a custom-built pizza oven, but I suspect it would still be OK. Hmmm.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Finally, has anyone tried to construct a pizza oven from loose brick in their backyards?
We have a good friend who did this. The local paper did an article on him.

Every July 4 we go to a party at his house, and he makes lots of pizzas. It was a lot of work to make the oven, and he starts the fire many hours before cooking time.

It's fun, but the pizzas don't seem to be any better than what one can make in a regular oven.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:45 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Yes - I have always used Tomato paste.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #59

scrinch,

Hey, thanks!

I'll have to get a couple of those.

omni
Old 10-20-2008, 06:28 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Would a oil splatter screen work - I saw them once - you put it over a pan that you are frying chicken in.