Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love my job! I wouldn't want to do anything else.

Unless I could retire that is. My job is fulfilling and pays well, but It's still a job. I'd love to do it on a very part time basis and spend more time sleeping in, traveling, and reading mystery novels. Not to mention spending my days with my hubby. We both work hard and like it, but leisure would be better.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2012, 12:39 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boglehead213 View Post
What do you guys think?
If you find what you love to do and do it and make money, can't you have the best of both worlds? Have the early retirement experience early on and save for retirement at the same time?
I loved being a submariner.

Then I became a parent.

It's not the avocation-- it's the dissatisfiers.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:57 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boglehead213 View Post
I was debating where to put this and was going to put it in the Young Dreamers forum but thought middle aged people could benefit from it and the topic is too soon for life after FIRE forum also.

What if our paradigm of early retirement is all wrong? I say that because I was reading Steve Jobs speech Text of Steve Jobs' Commencement address (2005)

and he stressed the importance of finding and doing what you love. I would imagine he would keep doing what he's doing for the rest of his life so in a way, he was already retired early on.

I think one the biggest dis-services that has come out of the Job's idolization is the famous Commencement address. It is all wonderful that somebody with Job's quite literally unique talents tells people not to settle and do what you love. Perhaps if you are fortunate and smart enough to graduate from Stanford you can be picky enough find yourself with a career instead of just a job. But realistically Stanford grads are pretty much the definition of a 1%er.

I know that there were 3 years at Intel where I would have paid to work there, but there were also quarters where you would have had to double my salary for me to repeat the experience. Listening to other people work experience, and observing as volunteer the rather miserable lot of the typical service worker, I realize I was extraordinarily fortune.

I wish somebody of Job's stature had given a commencement where they told young graduates to learn to take pride in their work, but also to make sure that if it the work isn't their passion than to take steps to make sure that don't have to work till 75. To carefully consider how many more day they will have to toil when they are in the 60s, to pay for the new toy, the trip, fancy dinner when they are in their early 20s.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:53 AM   #24

I really enjoy what I do to earn a living. It is what I always wanted to do, it gives me great personal satisfaction, I have the respect of my collegues, and the pay was sufficient for my needs. I will be retiring in a few months and I will miss it. However, there are two major reasons for the change - tired of time lines/responsibilities and ever increasing interference by administration.

Cheers!
Old 04-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I loved my j*b every single day and made money at it for 33 years. Never w*orked a day in my life!

I like retirement better. No time for w*rk now.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm an admitted cynic when it comes to all this self-help/think and grow rich/make money doing nothing what you love/blow smoke up your skirt crap, but you asked what we think, so here goes - it's a bunch of bullpuckey.
If you believe it is a bunch of bullpuckey you're right. If you believe you can find something you love and make money at it you're right.

Just my thought

Beliefs create reality
Old 04-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

Then I became a parent.

+1
Old 04-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11522914 View Post
If you believe you can find something you love and make money at it you're right.

...Beliefs create reality
And much of reality is bullpuckey.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Then I became a parent.
+1

People change over time and what once may have been a great job may no longer be a good fit.

My job was a great fit 20 years ago. Today, it clashes with my new desires and situation in life. Even if all the political and other nonsense were to disappear tomorrow, the job would still not fit what I see for my life.

The only job that fits and gives me sufficient income is retirement!!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
+1

People change over time and what once may have been a great job may no longer be a good fit.

My job was a great fit 20 years ago. Today, it clashes with my new desires and situation in life. Even if all the political and other nonsense were to disappear tomorrow, the job would still not fit what I see for my life.

For me, Chuckanut hit the nail on the head. People, interests and values change over time. That is what happened to me. There's too many other things to do and doing one type of thing just gets stale. Even for money.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
+1

This seems to be similar to my situation today as well- loved my job for 25+ years but now @ 33 i (yrs) t has become a burden for me.

The high cost of health insurance & only one spouse working continues to keep me in the workplace. We will need to live on a low "expense ratio" when the right time comes.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

What I need is flexibility in my use of time. Neither my current job or anything I a qualified for offers that. At least not flexibility and a decent income.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+2. And sometimes the dissatisfiers stem from within, but certainly NOT always, more often external I suspect.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #34

I was in IT for 16 years, and sometimes loved it, but more often hated it for all the reasons already mentioned. Whenever my IT job was horrible, I would fantasize about driving a truck for a living. Well, I got laid off, and said ah the heck with doing what I'm supposed to do, I'm going to do what I want to do. So I got my CDL license and got a (good) truck driving job. I have one tenth the stress and misery of IT, and two thirds of the pay. I feel retired, and lucky.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #35
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
You're right
Old 04-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #36

Quote:
So for you ,what is the answer to: "what isn't bullpuckey"
Old 04-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm an admitted cynic when it comes to all this self-help/think and grow rich/make money doing nothing what you love/blow smoke up your skirt crap, but you asked what we think, so here goes - it's a bunch of bullpuckey.
Oh come on man, there is even a website explaining how easy it is!

Ha
Old 04-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
So for you ,what is the answer to: "what isn't bullpuckey"
Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart defined it well: I know it when I see it.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #39
Dryer sheet wannabe

Interesting responses guys! Thanks for sharing. Like one poster said, I do think our beliefs create reality so why not believe the best right? I mean I can CHOOSE to think this is a fantasy or I can CHOOSE to believe that it's possible. What I like about that article is that it counters the "I like to do nothing but nobody will pay me for that". It's not about what you like to do but what you like to do AND how it can add value to people.

I think I'm going to look more into it. Why be a cube rat for 40+ years and endure all that stress so you can finally "live" in retirement, when you're not even assured you might make it there + maybe you won't have the physical vitality to do what you really want.

I don't think there's 1 right choice. It all depends on the individual. We must each choose our own path right
Old 04-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #40
Dryer sheet wannabe

Some other thoughts I just had were look at Warren Buffet right? I mean he's 80 and he's still going strong doing what he loves (although he's been diagnosed with prostate cancer but is very treatable).

I was also reading people's responses again and it looks like the time factor is important too so maybe it's not enough to make money doing what you love to do but figure out how to have freedom time wise as well.

This is such a cool discussion!