Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

OP - I feel your approach is reasonable and if it fits your needs, go for it.

For me, I'm taking the OMJ approach. One More Job for the experience in a cloud computing company. The hours are longer than I expected, but I am calling it a fair trade off for now. If it takes too much from my family, I will look for an exit. The additional experince allows me to market myself for contract/consulting assignments in the future if desired. Also, allowed me to splurge on a car that I normally would not buy, but was on my bucketlist.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 05:04 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm with you, taking advantage and not letting the office BS get to me. I am at work my 40 hours, but no more unless a real problem needs attention. Spend too much time surfing internet and E-R.org, but still get all my work done. Mainly working for the insurances and the additional savings. Strongly intend to go part-time in spring in time for summer and rest of the year.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazingus View Post
I have two years left and there is some risk to the apathy that I feel. I have decided, likewise, to improve my lifestyle and see if my attitude will follow. DW and I are starting with a 60-day alcohol fast on Jan.1! It will be a reset, a sanity check and if I really like the new me...who knows? The goal is to set the lifestyle I want in ER now, as others have noted.

I'm going out a lean, mean, fighting machine; not an overweight, overindulging has-been with a poor attitude. Make 'em sorry you left; not glad!

Let's hope this works.
I'm already feeling better about TMY (two more years). Look above at how bad I felt about myself on 12/30. That was a result of holiday binging and no exercise. One week of healthy food, no alcohol, and one workout and I'm in much better spirits about the situation.

I think it helped me, also, that everybody came back to work and we got busy again. I have to find a way to change the holiday traditions of food and football slothiness. The penalty is too steep.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazingus View Post
I'm already feeling better about TMY (two more years). Look above at how bad I felt about myself on 12/30. That was a result of holiday binging and no exercise. One week of healthy food, no alcohol, and one workout and I'm in much better spirits about the situation.

I think it helped me, also, that everybody came back to work and we got busy again. I have to find a way to change the holiday traditions of food and football slothiness. The penalty is too steep.
LOL. I am glad you got back to some senses (YMMV).

As for me, this is my 3rd week using the megacorp gym for some serious workout and treadmil'ng. It gives "I am on a treadmill at work" a new meaning.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #25

Brought some coffee ground from home to make my own coffee at work. I had enough of the cheap, acidic megacorp coffee. Aaaah ... smell and taste of good coffee makes me forget about BS at work, even for just a short time.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #26

I'm in TMY (Two more years) mode and so far and enjoying it. Since I like my job the politics is fairly easy to ignore. I'm not overworking myself, shutting down the work computer at the end of the work day and weekends, and while still saving am "splurging" on various things, such as home improvements will last longer than I will.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:16 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm definitely in OMY "come what may" mode, and making that mode part of my transition to retirement, and next phase of our lives plan. Decided it was better for me to let megacorp take action to push me out (a 60 year old) assuming they do (I do provide a valuable service to them and 30 years of experience). Versus me initiating that action until our transition plans are completely complete (working hard on those now).

Playing it by ear, my attitude with work according to my DW is MUCH BETTER since taking this approach, so guess I'm moving in right direction...we'll see!
Old 01-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I'd do another OMY but I'm sick of the drive in and out.
I predict that the commute in Houston will be much easier by the end of 2015.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I work from home (teleworker) big advantage at this stage of life/career!!!
Old 01-16-2015, 03:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I certainly agree. Right now I leave for work at 3:30 am or a little after. It takes me just under an hour to get to work and you can imagine the traffic is pretty light. The key is to be able to leave at 2:30 pm which lets me get home in just over an hour. The traffic turns into a disaster after 3 pm and it could take me 1 1/2 hours to get home.

Layoffs are beginning in our Upstream business unit in a big way. The headcount reduction efforts are all in effect. Long term vacations are no longer approved unless a project awaits you when the vacation is over. People are slowly disappearing and the parking garage is becoming much less crowded. Even with no traffic, the commute is more trouble than its worth for me now.

My business area is still going strong but not strong enough to absorb Upstream people. If things continue, we could also find it hard to keep everyone busy. It's a good time to leave.

My last day is February 27. I found that out today when I tried to leave today or next Friday. My boss wants the continuity with the client until the project is just about over.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:53 PM   #31

good luck in FIRE!
Old 01-16-2015, 04:50 PM   #32

that's why I always chose to live close to the office in Houston - at least the commute didn't totally suck unless we had a Texas flood
Old 01-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #33

I think I will decorate my office to resemble my room/home - high def TV, coffee table, refrigerator, sofa, .... That way, it feels more like ER than OMY when at work.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:19 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I think I will decorate my office to resemble my room/home - high def TV, coffee table, refrigerator, sofa, .... That way, it feels more like ER than OMY when at work.
I once worked with a colleague who did this. (We worked long hours). On occasion, her many appliances overloaded the power circuit and the rest of us would have a blackout.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I once worked with a colleague who did this. (We worked long hours). On occasion, her many appliances overloaded the power circuit and the rest of us would have a blackout.
LOL. That's why my megacorp bans those in office. They are liabilities. Maybe, I will just hang up pictures on the wall.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:09 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
LOL. That's why my megacorp bans those in office. They are liabilities. Maybe, I will just hang up pictures on the wall.
Ours banned everything, including art on the wall,. Your chair had to come from them.They blew $2500 in chairs that didn't work for me.

My monitors height was an issue, I'd stuck a few packs of paper under them and all was well for me. The young lady freaked out! I ended up with official monitor risers at about $50 bucks each.

Art on the wall not allowed, official art came from corporate. Expensive art, not junk "work is great posters".

You could personalize your desk, family pictures, trophys, certificates etc. I streched it with some nice rocks, railroad spikes, and a few good roadapples; things I could use in case of some whack job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app