Join Early Retirement Today

Making the connection...
Old 03-03-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Making the connection...

It seems Gabe has made his first connection with what he eats and where it comes from. One of his favorite foods is chicken, he'll eat it all day long. We've been over at the park near the zoo sanctuary a lot lately, where a lot of feral chickens congregate, and he's been chasing/petting them. They're rather tame for wild chickens.

Anyhow, last night I gave him his dinner and he pointed at the chicken and said "Ahhhh! No chicken! I dont want to eat that NO MORE!". I asked him why and he said "Because I like to play with them better."

Wait until he figures out where bacon (his second favorite food) comes from. The have several big old pigs at the sanctuary. At least pigs arent called "bacon".

Might have a vegetarian coming along. Although he's no big fan of vegetables either. My wifes tricky though, she purees beets and puts that into brownies and cauliflower puree goes into cupcakes. Seems the chocolate masks any beet flavor and the cauliflower is so bland that it disappears into the cupcake. Actually makes both the brownies and cupcakes moister and fuller bodied too.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Wait until he asks where eggs come from.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

See thats why when you were growing up your parents said dont play with your food..

Oh man Im on a roll today...
Old 03-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I must be hard-hearted. I grew up on a farm and knew early on that what was in the freezer had formerly been in the barnyard. That lamb was delicious.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #5

my brother always ate anything that has lived but i didn't care for eating animals as a kid and had to have everything not just well done but unrecognizably burnt before i'd taste it.

i think people--well, not khan the barbarian (lamb indeed)--have more trouble eating the cuter animals so gabe might be ok with bacon & lobster for a while. but later when he finds out how intelligent pigs are he might base his degree of vegeterianism not on cuteness but on the presumed consciousness of the prepared dinner. and after that he might base it on cholesterol like the rest of us.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

um...who is Gabe?

living where i live, there is a lot of venison available. i've tried it, it's ok, but all i can picture is the Disney Movie "Bambi". and yes, darnit, i cried when Bambi's mother died. <such a sap >

i have nothing against hunters or raising critters for food. just don't make me watch.

it's just an association i can't get out of my mind. the old uncensored Disney movies do strange things to young minds. what can I say?
Old 03-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
my brother always ate anything that has lived but i didn't care for eating animals as a kid and had to have everything not just well done but unrecognizably burnt before i'd taste it.

i think people--well, not khan the barbarian (lamb indeed)--have more trouble eating the cuter animals so gabe might be ok with bacon & lobster for a while. but later when he finds out how intelligent pigs are he might base his degree of vegeterianism not on cuteness but on the presumed consciousness of the prepared dinner. and after that he might base it on cholesterol like the rest of us.
Fresh lamb is especially good cut into chunks and marinated in olive oil, garlic, and a hint of oregano. my Greek ancestors would be very proud of our local barbarian. LOL
Old 03-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I just picked up my four year old granddaughter from preschool, and I pulled two pieces of ham out of the fridge for my midafternoon snack. (No bread, just the ham) She came over and asked what I was having, and I answered " a couple of slices of ham" She then said, "ham, that's a pig's fanny!" I said "yes, it is" and shared it with her. We live on a farm, and she's coming along just fine as a farm girl.....
Old 03-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Try chopped/pureed brocolli. My dad mixes it in with lean ground beef and makes burgers out of it. Very good actually.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
um...who is Gabe?

living where i live, there is a lot of venison available. i've tried it, it's ok, but all i can picture is the Disney Movie "Bambi". and yes, darnit, i cried when Bambi's mother died. <such a sap >

i have nothing against hunters or raising critters for food. just don't make me watch.

it's just an association i can't get out of my mind. the old uncensored Disney movies do strange things to young minds. what can I say?
My neighbor likes to go hunting. He gives me bambi burgers fresh off the grill.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Ya Ill be grilling up some mustard seed deer sausage this week.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:53 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
LMAO. i left myself wide open for that one.

make that TWO squadrons of rotten tomatoes honing in on your location. (see post in "did you have children" earlier today)

"Revenge is a dish best served cold", eh Khan?
Old 03-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Ya Ill be grilling up some mustard seed deer sausage this week.
and you too, have me cracking up! you guyz be bad!
Old 03-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #14

Quote:
You should try grilling the back straps at some point. a lot of people get them butterflied, but I think it turns out much better, with a lot less work, if you do the strap whole like a pork loin. Maybe marinate it first. It grills great and stays moist.

If you can't con him out of the strap, then at least suggest this to him.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #15

My sister is squeamish about giving her kids any notion of this. (They are 6 and 4 and they live in typical suburbia). They do see wild turkeys, but haven't obviously made the turkey connection. She thinks if they get wind of it it will traumatize them.

Does anyone else besides freebird remember, when they were young, how they personally processed this info?

I personally can't remember any "aha!" moment at all -- nothing, blank. So it was either SO traumatic that I blocked it out.. OR I didn't really care too much since it tasted good. I tend to think the latter.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
My sister is squeamish about giving her kids any notion of this. (They are 6 and 4 and they live in typical suburbia). They do see wild turkeys, but haven't obviously made the turkey connection. She thinks if they get wind of it it will traumatize them.

Does anyone else besides freebird remember, when they were young, how they personally processed this info?

I personally can't remember any "aha!" moment at all -- nothing, blank. So it was either SO traumatic that I blocked it out.. OR I didn't really care too much since it tasted good. I tend to think the latter.
My memories go back unusually far so maybe I can help. I remember thinking that the chickens WANTED to be our great dinner and felt special to be on that pretty plate in the middle of the table. I remember learning that cows went to slaughterhouses to become steaks, and thinking that was all too complicated to understand. None of it bothered me one bit. I think that I felt these animals were happy to meet their destiny of gracing our dinner table, just as I would be happy to grow up and seize my destiny, which of course was to be Just Like Mommy.

Not to be reminiscent of Lord of the Flies, but kids can be heartlessly cruel! Sometimes they don't see the tragedy in these things.

Edited to add: Since I was an extremely sensitive girl who would cry at the drop of a hat, my mother may have made all of this seem cheerier when presenting it to me. She was a really good mother and knew just how to handle it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #17

I grew up eating cute little animals, since my Dad, older brother, and Grandad liked to hunt. So I knew early on where the various meats came from that we had for dinner. As a little kid, I was never traumatized by watching the critters get shot or cleaned....it was just part of our normal life. We ate (and still do eat) Bambi, Thumper (sorry CFB), and the rest of their little, furry, forest friends like Rocky & Bullwinkle. Add to that list pheasant, quail, beaver, possum, and raccoon. I've also eaten elk, buffalo, Dumbo, Winnie the Pooh, Wally Gator, and rattlesnake. I won't eat bugs, insects, or worms (knowingly anyway), but other than that, if the critter crawls, swims, walks, runs, or flies.......I'll try it at least once! I'm pretty much omnivorous!

BTW, our neighbor is always giving us venison prepared in various ways.....sausage links & patties, both regular and Italian.....meatloaf.....roasts......burgers...etc . He also supplies us with turtle meat.

Grandad also butcher chickens and turkeys on a fairly regular basis......used to LMAO watching those headless chickens running around the yard!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bambi & Thumper.jpg (27.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I've also eaten.... Winnie the Pooh,
LMAOF....

I always thought he looked kinda plump and tasty...
Old 03-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
um...who is Gabe?
My freshly minted 3 year old. And his new SUV!

Actually, he's got an electric hummer he drives around the neighborhood...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #20

How is it possible your light-colored carpet does not show a spot with a 3-year old around?