Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-06-2015, 05:06 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

One of the great things about being single is that you are not obligated to do anything or visit anyone.
Quiet and peaceful.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2015, 05:47 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Does that mean you are eating some of the Xmas tree ornaments? Never thought of eating leftovers in my pj's but it sounds kind of cozy.
No , leftover ham & scalloped potatoes and maybe a Christmas cookie .

Old 12-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I have found Christmas depressing for many years because I often had to w*rk through it. Some of my busiest days and nights and sickest patients turned up on Christmas Day, when there was only a skeleton staff on duty.
Thank you for being there! 7 years ago I had an emergency appendectomy late on Christmas Day evening. The hospital was so quiet and empty! Surgery began just after midnight, Dec 26th.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
One of the great things about being single is that you are not obligated to do anything or visit anyone.
Quiet and peaceful.

I don't know if that is necessarily tied to being single as much as it is tied to not having friends or relatives with expectations for your time and your own personal desires. Yes, being married or being in a committed relationship could double the chance you do have obligations, but we know married folks who lay low during the holidays. They just both agree it should be that way. And one of my single cousins throws one hell of a party every Christmas holiday season. She says that she wants to be sure we all know she's there and expects to be a part of all extended family affairs. We all get the message and she's invited everywhere!

DW and I both like to do quite a bit of very casual entertaining and visiting during the holidays. But either of us would do that even if we weren't together. In fact, on Christmas Eve we split up and she attends an annual get-together of old high school friends from our past life as "city kids." I meet up with family at a cousin's place in the 'burbs. We go together to our son's home to be with the grand kids Christmas morning.

Just sayin' .......

As long as you're doing things pretty much the way you want them, it's all good. Whether you're single, traditionally married, in a committed relationship, a single parent, living in a commune, whatever........
Old 12-06-2015, 06:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I have found Christmas depressing for many years because I often had to w*rk through it.
I didn't mind it at all. It came with the territory (police officer) and I knew it when I applied for the job. Normally a very quiet day so little if any actual work. And it paid overtime!

Later on when I was married and had the seniority to actually get a Christmas off I usually worked one and took one off on alternate years to give other guys a chance. We were limited to three off per shift. Even further on I was in a straight daywork job with weekends & holidays off just like normal people so it was a non-issue.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:41 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Been a tough year with my father's death. The whole family-siblings, kids, nieces and nephews are leaving on a cruise Xmas day. We all agreed we would try a new angle this year. Honestly, I think it will cost less money and less stressful. Ho!ho! Ho!

Old 12-06-2015, 06:55 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
The "duty" of buying gifts bugs me. Exchanging gift cards bugs me (what's the point?).
But on to the topic of what I'm planning to keep upbeat this Christmas:

The kids are returning for Christmas, so I'm going to figure out some activities to do with them.
Since they're going to be home, I suppose we'll need to decorate (that's a drag, for me, because all I can think of is hauling all that crap back up in the attic). My BIL had his house decorated in creative ways and I picked his brain on why he was so enthusiastic about it. Maybe that's the key to enjoying decorating...don't just do the same old thing...try something new.
Seng, Our family buys gifts for the little kids. I make gifts for some family members each year like jewelry or hand forged copper bowls. I make some of my Christmas cards too (it's an ornament out of copper), started in August....yeah, my friends hate me.

Are these little kids? If they are, don't forget to make ornaments for the tree. Get some polymer clay at the craft store and bake up a batch or pics of the kids to glue onto card stock ornaments that you cut out. It doesn't have to be a big tree.
We have a friend that's very creative and doesn't like the tradition tree. One year he decorated a tree outside for the animals, one time he had a photo enlarged of a picture of a Christmas tree from his childhood and propped that up on an easel, another time he drew a picture of a tree on a piece of cardboard and cut out some of the branches to hang ornaments, he did a "Charlie Brown" tree one year. We go to Christmas parties where everyone decorates the tree.
I know that everyone doesn't enjoy the holidays because it can be so hectic but I wish all of you a wonderful holiday. Go relax with some cocoa and a great cookie!
Old 12-06-2015, 07:49 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Which reminds me....Happy Hannukah to everyone celebrating it!
Old 12-06-2015, 08:57 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Best to you all! Was feeling pretty low key holiday-wise, but dang, by comparison I'm ho-ho-holly jolly. Traded cuts with the mesquite tree out front and got it hacked into winter trim, got out the rope lights, and tomorrow we'll lay them out on top of the perimeter wall. Video fireplace is laid in Netflix, brandy is soaking into a $10 Walmart fruitcake, we'll un-box our modest box of Christmas decorations and be set. May send a few cards, may spend Hannukah/mas with the BIL and new wife and her great brood. Don't HAVE to do anything, so low key and thankful will be the style.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:24 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Best to you all! Was feeling pretty low key holiday-wise, but dang, by comparison I'm ho-ho-holly jolly.... Don't HAVE to do anything, so low key and thankful will be the style.
+1. We've scaled down the travel, decorations, most of the cards, and the gifts but I guess I'm in the ho-ho-ho jolly camp, too. We've got tickets for a Christmas musical and a Nutcracker ballet. We were at Union Square last week and I loved all the hustle and bustle of shoppers, tourists, Christmas decorations and lights and cable cars passing by:

Nov. 27-28: Macy's Tree Lighting, Winter Walk, Bay Street Winter Wonderland, Two Gallants - The San Francisco Examiner : The San Francisco Examiner
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Working on Christmas
Old 12-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #31
Administrator

Working on Christmas

I didn't mind working on Christmas at all, when I was young and single, so that the married folks could be with their toddlers and children on Christmas. The joy of a little kid on Christmas morning is a wonderful thing, and I didn't want anything to mar it for their parents. Besides, as Walt pointed out, one might get overtime, or if not, at least considerable thanks from co-workers and public praise from the higher up poo-bahs. Brownie points galore. When I worked at the hospital during grad school, I would even request working on Christmas because I loved to see how happy that would make some of my co-workers who desperately wanted Christmas off. And I loved the extra $$ and atta-girl comments from the boss. Doing something for others (and peripherally for myself) made Christmas fun.

Later on, when I had a child of my own, my ex was at sea on Christmas Day over half the time. When she was little, I'd pretend that Christmas was a week or two later after he came home. When she got older and was in school, that was no longer possible and it was tough for all three of us to be apart on Christmas. But, it was part of his job.

After she was grown and gone, my office was not open on Christmas Day but I did avoid taking much vacation time in December since somebody needed to be in the office. Actually that was very pleasant because there wasn't much work, and almost nobody was there. Good time to catch up on everything at work before the New Year.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:47 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Same here. I used to actually enjoy w*rking during the holidays simply because there was hardly anyone else there. No distractions and I could get a lot of work done (that had been piling up, unfortunately). So I used it as "catch up time." Being single made it easy, but since I've never been a party person I wouldn't have minded missing out on the festivities anyway.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:49 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree Christmas and the holidays tend to be a hassle -- way too much drama in my family, people not talking to one another...

I try to focus on the spirit of the season and DW and I will sponsor a needy family, help out at a soup kitchen...

the one thing I do enjoy is holiday music -- here's a link to a song by Mark Shultz called a Different Kind of Christmas -- for those missing a loved one this time of year.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:33 PM   #34

This is my first year being retired during the holidays. I always felt like holiday prep was another job and didn't look forward to much of it on top of my regular work.

This year has been delightful. All the gifts are bought, wrapped and decorations are up. I'm so relaxed about it all and really enjoying our grandchildren and their activities.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:42 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm not a "bah, humbug" sort, although my family HAS encouraged a little more enthusiasm in the past. As I mentioned earlier, for us it is just that this year is the first without the kids in the house for Christmas Day and, although it doesn't bother me too much, DW is struggling with it.

In many ways, this holiday season will be just like the last 25 or so, we are going to do our usual very tackily decorated Holiday open house this Saturday, we expect 50-60 people through the house over the course of the evening. I spent 2 hours on the roof putting up lights today. DW keeps finding more and more people for whom she "just needs to buy a small present," etc. Business as usual.

BUT, the kids won't be home for Christmas day and DW is anticipating that this will be difficult for her because the day will lack the family interaction. So, I'm going to put a little more effort into the time running up to the day in hopes that it will help.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
BUT, the kids won't be home for Christmas day and DW is anticipating that this will be difficult for her because the day will lack the family interaction. So, I'm going to put a little more effort into the time running up to the day in hopes that it will help.
You are a good husband, first for even being aware of your wife's feelings and second for anticipating them and being willing to brave the crowds for her.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:51 PM   #37

I feel the same way as JJQuantz's wife. My DD, DSIL and 2 grandchildren moved to Charlotte NC this summer. We last visited them the beginning of November and told them that we would not be coming back until Spring 2016. We have been visiting them monthly. We only have these 2 grandchildren. I felt myself getting down and slightly depressed and not being able to sleep well at night. It was not getting better and it had been a few weeks. This is not the way that I usually am. I thought about it and told my DH that I need to be able to see my grandchildren in order to be happy. They are my joy. I told him that I was going to take a train, plane or even a Megabus to see them monthly. He was in complete agreement with me and said that was fine with him. He does not know if he will go that often or not. We are going to drive down the week of Christmas and be with them through Christmas. I am so thankful for the mild winter that we are having. My DD and her family are thrilled we will be there. My mood improved immediately and my being able to sleep well at night happened also. So this is what it takes for me to happy this Christmas. I want to spend as much time with my grandchildren as possible, while they still want me in their lives.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Go for it Dreamer!
Old 12-07-2015, 08:48 PM   #39

Awww, Dreamer, that is so sweet! So glad for you to get to stay close to the family.

It is good for me to see your and the other parent/grandparent posts. I tend to only see the demands from my mom and MIL as onerous requirements to be somewhere. I forget that, for some damn reason, they actually WANT to see us.

I need to be a bit more gracious, I think.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I decided to put more joy in the season. I went to Michael's and bought a few more decorations . I said yes to my SO's grandaughter"s Christmas show and I started watching my favorite Christmas movies . It is amazing what a little attitude adjustment can do ."