Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
In HS I took a class in typing for only two reasons:

1. I knew they couldn't make me buy a typewriter, and therefore could not assign homework for that class.

2. I was one of two guys in a classroom full of girls. Talk about a target-rich environment!

It also turned out to be one of the most practical/useful classes I took in HS.
Yep - except 4 or 5 of us had the same idea - still a lot of girls though.

heh heh heh - Including a couple of football jocks who said they would need the typing skill for college.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

ome women complaining about guys who are intimidated by intellect, by those who earn more than they do, by those who are more educated than they are...

...or are too pretty, or too tall, or too confident, or....the list goes on! You know what? I think some folks are just too darned easy to intimidate, and miss out on all kinds of good things on account of it.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Both of them?
Sure, why not?

If a couple earns within 30% of each other's salaries, it's essentially the same in my book. If someone makes more than twice of what I make, I may feel a little awkward, just because it often implies a different lifestyle. (Unless they are on this board and are crazy LBYM savers)

I have always made more than my DH. It's just a different career path. (He is in performing arts.) Neither of us thinks anything of it. We are very different in how we manage our lives. He is more of a self-starter while I am an exellent employee.

My math skills have also deteriorated lately as I don't have to use it so much. It's really a muscle that needs conditioning. Occasionally I do online IQ tests just so I can do a little "math workout."
Old 03-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
With all due respect, I don't see how it can be a sign of intelligence to lack social skills. Humans evolved intelligence and society as ways to survive and thrive.

To the extent that my social skills cause others to like and trust me, others are more likely to help me when I'm in trouble. To the extent that I lack social skills, I will miss out on the very significant benefits of society. I think it's the essence of intelligence, to try to maximize my benefits, and dim-witted not to do so.

If a person who's seen as highly intelligent, is also seen as lacking social skills, then I think this is a case of a person with large mental capacity, who happens to lack a desirable personal trait.
Some of us were born without much in the way of social skills (I can not read facial expressions). Also I mostly raised myself as my parents were concentrated on my brother's dieing.

A major reason w*rk was so stressful (after being 'promoted' from programmer to team lead) was that I had to try to act 'normal' and interact at different levels with different people.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I vote for smart with common sense. No common sense would drive me nuts. But not intellectually challenging would eventually bore me. I know as been there, done that one too many times.
Boy! have I ever changed from my 20's when all a guy had to do is be good looking..ha! Guess we all grow up sometime.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Boy! have I ever changed from my 20's when all a guy had to do is be good looking..ha! Guess we all grow up sometime.
I call this "Twenty Year Reunion Syndrome."

Some of the "cool" people you wanted badly when you were 16 -- some of the cool guys that had some of the girls signing dreamily as Myfirstname Hislastname -- could only ride that so far and maybe they've become ne'er do wells, or thought they were God's gift to women and maintained that attitude well into that adulthood. And those "socially poisonous" people who kept to themselves and to books and were picked on mercilessly by the jocks and the cool people -- the ones it was social suicide to be nice to or show any interest in -- suddenly seem like well-adjusted folks, really nice guys with safe, stable and relatively successful careers.

And you think, wow -- how much our priorities have changed from 18 to 38. Oh, and yeah -- I was, for the most part, one of those socially toxic kids in high school, though I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for a couple of the cheerleaders who were nevertheless sincerely *nice* to me back then and not afraid to consider me a friend (and even sign my yearbook -- eek!)
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:15 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
...I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for a couple of the cheerleaders...
Sometimes a cigar is...not a cigar.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Mines not a "soft spot"

I was a social misfit too
Old 03-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #49

I gravitate to highly intelligent men--must also possess an excellent sense of humor, a nice body, and a kind nature. Hey...I married that guy! :woot:
Old 03-09-2009, 03:48 AM   #50
Dryer sheet wannabe

I like a man of average smarts, too smart man won't make me feel security, I am worried about their bad faith.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:38 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I suppose I would go with a very smart man as a mate. In regards to other relationships, the intelligence doesn't matter.

I consider myself of average intelligence. I've been fairly successful in my life, but it takes me longer to reach my goals than it would for a very smart person.

My DH is an extremely intelligent man and I think this fact makes me feel protected. My common sense and his type of intellect go together pretty well. Most of my friends and acquaintances are very intelligent, but I have noticed a common factor among them; when they encounter a problem, to them there is only one way to "fix" it, and that would be their way. I believe some of them have blinders on when it comes to solving a problem; they lack the ability to understand the impact their decisions have on others.

To me, a perfect man would be intelligent and able to get his point across without patronizing.
I know exactly what you mean. I have friends who think the same way when it comes to solving a problem. Its either their way or no way. Oh well I love em anyway
Old 03-15-2009, 11:48 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
To me, a perfect man would be intelligent and able to get his point across without patronizing.
Perhaps you haven't heard the definition of a man as a patronizing biped?

Usually if a man manages to talk to you without being patronizing he wants to sleep with you.

In fact, if a man seems polite and unassuming yet interesting and attentive, bet that he wants to sleep with you.

But of course you already knew that.

Ha
Old 03-16-2009, 07:20 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm? What? I'm sleepy......
Old 03-16-2009, 08:42 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Usually if a man manages to talk to you without being patronizing he wants to sleep with you.

In fact, if a man seems polite and unassuming yet interesting and attentive, bet that he wants to sleep with you.

Ha
If a man has a pulse...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:55 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ha
Now appearing at Comedy Central............haha!!!

No getting around primal instincts.......although it might have been easier for Neandertal man, all he needed was a club and some strength.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Or work for you.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Or work for you.
True. Some stereotyping was showing.

ha
Old 03-18-2009, 08:02 AM   #58

Quote:
Also true if the man seems impolite and pretentious yet uninteresting and inattentive.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:06 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I'm so confused....
Old 03-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm so confused....
Seems the consensus from some on here is that if a man pays attention to you, either in a polite or impolite way, it means he wants to sleep with you.........

I gotta disagree, I have been nice to MANY women I had NO INTENTION of sleeping with........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote