Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was one of those "band jocks". It gave me access to the cheerleader types but also the cute smarter quieter shyer girls in band. It was one of the smartest things I ever did..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Well, if you haven't gotten older since high school......
gimme the recipe!
well...there are 2 "old" definitions.
1 is a typo on my driver's license. I can't do much about the typo.

the other 1 is a state of mind.
My state of mind is about 19 yo, last time I checked.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I was one of those "band jocks".
All kinds of pictures are popping up in my mind...
Old 03-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Super smart tends to mean no common sense so I vote for the just smart enough to be capable of critical thinking but aware enough that there is more to life than staying indoors all day working.

If he doesn't read for pleasure, he isn't going to be able to handle someone like me.
Caoineag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I was one of those "band jocks". It gave me access to the cheerleader types but also the cute smarter quieter shyer girls in band. It was one of the smartest things I ever did..........
In HS I took a class in typing for only two reasons:

1. I knew they couldn't make me buy a typewriter, and therefore could not assign homework for that class.

2. I was one of two guys in a classroom full of girls. Talk about a target-rich environment!

It also turned out to be one of the most practical/useful classes I took in HS.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:26 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoineag View Post
Super smart tends to mean no common sense so I vote for the just smart enough to be capable of critical thinking but aware enough that there is more to life than staying indoors all day working.

If he doesn't read for pleasure, he isn't going to be able to handle someone like me.
I don't agree that super smart tends to mean no common sense. When my grandfather (a chemistry professor) was still alive, he very much disliked the stereotype of the "absent-minded professor" or insinuations that a professor would not have everyday common sense, so I just had to speak up. Also, lots of very intelligent men do not stay indoors all day working. My brother, for example, whose career was as a high paid software consultant who seldom had to even go into his office and spent most days sleeping in, racing cars, and such.

Although I dated men of average intelligence when I was in my teens, as an adult my personal preference is someone both unusually intelligent and educated. I like not having to talk down to a man. Frank fits the bill.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I don't agree that super smart tends to mean no common sense...
Ahh but personal experiences alter people's perceptions (for good reason of course). I have known several geniuses and they all needed someone to ground them. Not that they were bad people, just lacking in any common sense or practical skills. Most of the people who were simply smart instead of blindingly brilliant were well rounded, interesting individuals who went on to do a variety of things.

Even though I test in the range just a hair short of genius and am considered a walking encyclopedia (and yes I consider myself as lacking certain social skills, feminine I am not), I have never felt the need to "talk down" to someone. Whether someone is mentally handicapped or brilliant, they usually have something interesting to discuss. I really do believe that very intelligent people forget that the ability to calculate a math formula or to discuss in detail atomic nucleation is not the end all be all of interesting conversation.

I do believe that when someone suggests that their intelligence has repulsed people that it is often their arrogance, not their intelligence, that people find repulsive.

PS A simple professor wasn't what I was referring to. Professors tend to be smart, well rounded individuals. I have yet to actually meet an "absent minded" professor. I am referring to the geniuses that are comparable to super computers.
Caoineag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:39 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by two4theroad View Post
... a lot of fun, could dance really well and didn't get sloppy drunk.
Dang. Struck out again.
Hal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Common sense, logical thinking, and a fun/crazy attitude are high priorities. Having a high IQ is not as important to me as a positive attitude, and willingness to explore solutions to problems (real or perceived) and the quest for new adventures. The closed minded "dumb men" don't even make the cut! It is important that my quirks are valued (or at least amusing) to my man. I also like a bit of macho-male-protector attitude in the mix! (hey, Nords, can you see why I keep him around? )
Old 03-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
(hey, Nords, can you see why I keep him around? )
You picked a winner there! Although you're going to have to give him a while to study up on the wardroom tradition of "dining in"... and what'll happen the first time a base sentry salutes him?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

With all due respect, I don't see how it can be a sign of intelligence to lack social skills. Humans evolved intelligence and society as ways to survive and thrive.

To the extent that my social skills cause others to like and trust me, others are more likely to help me when I'm in trouble. To the extent that I lack social skills, I will miss out on the very significant benefits of society. I think it's the essence of intelligence, to try to maximize my benefits, and dim-witted not to do so.

If a person who's seen as highly intelligent, is also seen as lacking social skills, then I think this is a case of a person with large mental capacity, who happens to lack a desirable personal trait.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
If a person who's seen as highly intelligent, is also seen as lacking social skills, then I think this is a case of a person with large mental capacity, who happens to lack a desirable personal trait.
My social skills are a lot better now than when I was single, but I wouldn't call myself extremely adept socially. I still tend to be rather shy and historically deathly afraid of rejection, so my tendency was to say nothing rather than say something stupid, to not go on a date rather than ask and be shot down.

Though I should add it's not because I'm extremely introverted or not socially-oriented. I do enjoy social interaction when I'm not feeling awkward about it. When I'm with good friends in a comfortable situation I'm as outgoing and extroverted as anyone. As a former manager of mine once said about me, "When we first hired you, we couldn't get you to say a word. Now we can't get you to shut up!" Yes, Linda, I think you pretty much nailed it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am attracted to men who can be considered "wise." In other words, with a big picture view of history, the present, and the future.

Also, I am a math/physics girl, so those who are clueless about math drive me crazy, and believe me there are lots of those out there. Math is not that hard!

Common sense is a good thing to have, and far more important than a very high IQ. I don't care about someone's social skills. A shy guy is sometimes more adorable.
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

[quote=ziggy29]my tendency was to say nothing rather than say something stupid, to not go on a date rather than ask and be shot down.

Though I should add it's not because I'm extremely introverted or not socially-oriented. I do enjoy social interaction when I'm not feeling awkward about it.

Ziggy,

Knowing when to be quiet was a far harder skill for me to develop than knowing when to speak up.

But knowing the right thing to say or not to say, has been the hardest skill of all! I still get that wrong, to my chagrin.

Goodsense,

You're right, math is not that hard. I think math sense may be like a muscle that gets flabby if you don't use it very often, which most people don't.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
Also, I am a math/physics girl, so those who are clueless about math drive me crazy, and believe me there are lots of those out there. Math is not that hard!
Then we have those old talking Barbies saying "Math class is tough" when you pull the string. I don't suppose they'd ever say "Social studies class is tough" or "English class is tough" or some other subject where female students stereotypically excel.

Geek grrls rock. I'm just sayin'.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 03-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Then we have those old talking Barbies saying "Math class is tough" when you pull the string. I don't suppose they'd ever say "Social studies class is tough" or "English class is tough" or some other subject where female students stereotypically excel.

Geek grrls rock. I'm just sayin'.
I don't know if it's true, but I hear some girls pretend to be dumb because they think it makes them more attractive to guys (e.g. Paris Hilton style). Well if they want to attract guys who like air-headed girls, go right ahead. I'll take the rest.
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't know if it's true, but I hear some girls pretend to be dumb because they think it makes them more attractive to guys (e.g. Paris Hilton style). Well if they want to attract guys who like air-headed girls, go right ahead. I'll take the rest.
Both of them?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's funny. On one hand, I hear some women complaining about guys who are intimidated by intellect, by those who earn more than they do, by those who are more educated than they are... and on the other hand, I hear a lot of men saying that women refuse to "marry down" in terms of income or education or intellect.

We seem to have a chicken-and-egg question here.

I for one would thrilled if my wife were very successful in a career, and I'd worship her if she outearned me. I don't understand why someone would be intimidated by that. She still chose you, didn't she?
Old 03-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

[quote=Amethyst;792634]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29

You're right, math is not that hard. I think math sense may be like a muscle that gets flabby if you don't use it very often, which most people don't.
Once I left working in the earthquake business, 20 or so years ago, my need for math dropped to arithmetic only.
Though I well remember in a long ago class the prof intoning in his most learned voice --quadratic equations-- well known by those who know it well. Nowadays that is all I remember of quadratic equations. Mercifully.
My math muscles have atrophied beyond repair. Arithmetic still doable.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
...We seem to have a chicken-and-egg question here.
I for one would thrilled if my wife were very successful in a career, and I'd worship her if she outearned me. I don't understand why someone would be intimidated by that. She still chose you, didn't she?
This describes my situation. The difference between dh2b and me is very simple.
He enlisted at age 18 and wore a uniform for 20 years.
I aced the test and went to college on full scholarship vs wearing the uniform (USCG and USAF were after me big time!).
I had a higher GS grade level than he did, while I was w*rking. My income was significantly higher.
So what does all that mean?
Nada. This guy can run circles around me in some areas, and vice versa.
I tease him with "You were selected from the herd."
I'll see what he can do about the "worship" thing after the fact. I really like the sound of that.