Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Man arrested with no ID
Old 06-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Man arrested with no ID

I was looking around the local paper and came across this arrest:

"A Houston man was arrested and charged with failure to possess an id on May 28, the Harris County Sheriff's Office reported" /snip/

I did not think you HAD to have any ID with you... I know there are a few former or current police on the board.... what am I missing here
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #2

Your papers are not in order.

Take him away.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I betcha you found that in the Ultimate Spring, didn't ya?

"A Houston man was arrested and charged with failure to possess an id on May 28, the Harris County Sheriff's Office reported. The man, 24, was booked at the Harris County Jail on May 28 and is facing a class a misdemeanor charge. He resides in Airtex."

I'm gonna have to look that particular law up, never heard of it, and don't see how it can be legit.

Could be there's more to the story, such as maybe the guy got caught fishing without a license and also had no ID....or had a license but no ID to prove he was the entitled license holder.....maybe uhhhhh, I dunno but I'm sure there's more to the story! Gotta be...

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #4

Yeah, there must be more to the story. Texas does not have a "stop and identify" law. Of course, I once got arrested for "Resisting arrest" and that was the only charge (!). (What was he being arrested for, officer? Officer: Resisting arrest. He was charged with resisting arrest for...what, exactly? Officer: Resisting arrest. )
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

There are actually two arrests in that list - identical except the ages are different.
Arrest report for May 27 - 30 | Ultimate Spring

And a week earlier, there is another arrest for not having ID
http://www.ultimateheights.com/stori...-for-may-20-23

And there's more!
Quote:
A man was arrested by the Harris County Sheriff on charges of failure to possess an ID and failure to attend school, the Harris County Sheriff's Office reported. The 20-year-old black male lives on Wilson Road in Humble. http://www.ultimatelakehouston.com/s...-for-may-20-23
Quote:
A man was arrested on charges of theft ($500-$1,500) and failure to possess identification on May 23, the Harris County Sheriff's Office reported.http://www.ultimatebellaire.com/stor...-for-may-20-23
There's plenty more where those came from. Did Houston/Harris County create a must carry ID law?
Old 06-02-2012, 04:57 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Is Bob Dylan wandering around again?

Old 06-02-2012, 06:13 AM   #7

He should have just told them he was on his way to vote. You don't need no stinkin' ID for that.

As a Harris County resident, I was unaware of any "ID law." It would be nice if some legal eagle could enlighten us on it.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Quote:
A man was arrested by the Harris County Sheriff on charges of failure to possess an ID and failure to attend school, the Harris County Sheriff's Office reported. The 20-year-old black male lives on Wilson Road in Humble.
20-year-olds can be arrested for failing to attend school ?

This sounds like something which Constable Savage would come up with:
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
20-year-olds can be arrested for failing to attend school ?
Yeah, that was blowing my mind too.......

[loved that Thin Blue Line - and that was Inspector Fowler]
Old 06-02-2012, 07:44 AM   #10

There may be some type of local ordinance (which I doubt would be constitutional), but there is most definitely no Texas state law that states you must carry ID on your person. Presenting a false ID is illegal. Verbally lying about your name is illegal. Not having any ID or refusing to identify yourself is NOT illegal in Texas.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Do i need to carry my wallet while jogging. Cops could have a field day at a marathon...like set up a both at mile one. Haha
Old 06-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #12

The law has become so broad and overreaching that the cops can basically arrest anyone, anywhere, for something. They can hassle anyone they want, especially if they're too poor to afford a lawyer. That's not how this country is supposed to be.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
I betcha you found that in the Ultimate Spring, didn't ya?

"A Houston man was arrested and charged with failure to possess an id on May 28, the Harris County Sheriff's Office reported. The man, 24, was booked at the Harris County Jail on May 28 and is facing a class a misdemeanor charge. He resides in Airtex."

I'm gonna have to look that particular law up, never heard of it, and don't see how it can be legit.

Could be there's more to the story, such as maybe the guy got caught fishing without a license and also had no ID....or had a license but no ID to prove he was the entitled license holder.....maybe uhhhhh, I dunno but I'm sure there's more to the story! Gotta be...

Yep... I was looking to see if there was any info on the driver of the car who killed a girl last week and came across this one...
Old 06-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
There may be some type of local ordinance (which I doubt would be constitutional), but there is most definitely no Texas state law that states you must carry ID on your person. Presenting a false ID is illegal. Verbally lying about your name is illegal. Not having any ID or refusing to identify yourself is NOT illegal in Texas.

I would have to do some research, but I remember reading a Supreme Court case where they ruled that you did not have to identify yourself to a cop... so I do not see how they could have a law like this... that is why I am questioning it...
Old 06-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #15

Perhaps the news stories are saying "failure to possess identification" when they mean "failure to identify"?

Quote:
Texas Penal Code
Sec. 38.02. FAILURE TO IDENTIFY. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally refuses to give his name, residence address, or date of birth to a peace officer who has lawfully arrested the person and requested the information.
(b) A person commits an offense if he intentionally gives a false or fictitious name, residence address, or date of birth to a peace officer who has:
(1) lawfully arrested the person;
(2) lawfully detained the person; or
(3) requested the information from a person that the peace officer has good cause to believe is a witness to a criminal offense.
(c) Except as provided by Subsections (d) and (e), an offense under this section is:
(1) a Class C misdemeanor if the offense is committed under Subsection (a); or
(2) a Class B misdemeanor if the offense is committed under Subsection (b).
(d) If it is shown on the trial of an offense under this section that the defendant was a fugitive from justice at the time of the offense, the offense is:
(1) a Class B misdemeanor if the offense is committed under Subsection (a); or
(2) a Class A misdemeanor if the offense is committed under Subsection (b).
(e) If conduct that constitutes an offense under this section also constitutes an offense under Section 106.07, Alcoholic Beverage Code, the actor may be prosecuted only under Section 106.07.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #16

Quote:
[loved that Thin Blue Line - and that was Inspector Fowler]
Actually, it's from a sketch show 15 years before Thin Blue Line, but also with Rowan Atkinson as the senior officer.

The "SPG" reference at the end is to a notorious, now disbanded police riot squad ("Special Patrol Group") which was often suspected of racism and use of excessive force with protestors (at least one of whom is believed to have died).
Old 06-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
Actually, it's from a sketch show 15 years before Thin Blue Line, but also with Rowan Atkinson as the senior officer.
Oh! Thanks for the education. I didn't realize there was a precursor - the uniforms looked the same.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:32 AM   #18

Quote:
the uniforms looked the same.
The clue is in the name.

More seriously: they are both set in the Metropolitan (London) Police, but in any case, police uniforms are pretty much standard across the UK.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
Perhaps the news stories are saying "failure to possess identification" when they mean "failure to identify"?

Thanks for the info.... but wouldn't they also put down the charge they were arrested for in the first place I do not see how what you showed could be the only charge.

OK... read it again and I guess b can apply without being arrested...
Old 06-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
He should have just told them he was on his way to vote. You don't need no stinkin' ID for that.

As a Harris County resident, I was unaware of any "ID law." It would be nice if some legal eagle could enlighten us on it.

I am sure this varies by location but in my blood red state you must show a voter registration card to vote each an every time and to get one of those you must show a picture id and fill out paperwork. I am sure a few people manage to still vote here without the right too but I would think they are very few in number. It is interesting to hear how the law varies as it helps explain some of the stories in the news that make no sense to me from my local perspective.

Regarding the carry an id that is news to me also as I frequenter do not but that is probably something we should always do in case they need to identify the body if something were to happen.