Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Man lives in bicycle stealth camper
Old 04-12-2016, 09:07 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Man lives in bicycle stealth camper

This guy built and travels in a 60-pound trailer towed by a bicycle. It is made from recycled coroplast political signs and about $150 in materials. It looks quite functional with skylight, windows, insulation, bed, cabinets, and cooking area.

Sounds like some LBYM types might enjoy this.

This Man Lives Inside A $150 Bicycle-Pulled "Stealth" Camper

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 09:16 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This guy is really clever!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-12-2016, 09:22 PM   #3

That's the smallest tiny house I've seen.

DH and I watch the tiny house shows... we've agreed that we couldn't go below about 500ft... We want a couch AND a bed and lofts won't work for DH. Our casita is 700sf and is plenty big for 2 people.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:19 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Very clever. It would be great if that was a minimum issue kind of housing for homeless people.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:59 AM   #5

Very clever. Here are some alternatives but come without the same creativity Bike Campers: 12 Mini Mobile Homes for Nomadic Cyclists | Urbanist

Since I like bike touring, I will take a closer look at this alternative
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:16 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post

DH and I watch the tiny house shows... we've agreed that we couldn't go below about 500ft... We want a couch AND a bed and lofts won't work for DH. Our casita is 700sf and is plenty big for 2 people.
700sf for a casita? Sounds huge.

I measured out the living space of our '33 motorhome with all three slides out and it came to something like 300sqf. But that was plenty for two people. We had a couch positioned directly across from a ~50 inch flat screen TV, a dining room table that could seat four, a queen sized bed in it's own room with a door, a full bathroom and a decent enough kitchen equipped with a good sized refrigerator and freezer. We lived in it for four years and never felt cramped.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:42 AM   #7

When you cannot stand up in your 'house', it is too small. I think a tent and a camping stove would be an improvement.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:13 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Very creative!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:33 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Each to his/her own. You all can have it. I don't like it as a permanent residence, and I'd almost rather go back to work than live in it. I also wonder about fire safety, vulnerability to burglary and other crimes, heavy windstorms, and more.

But mostly I would feel utterly destitute and deprived living in something like that. I'd rather live in the crawl space under somebody's house than in that thing (and I wouldn't like that either). Or hey, how about this? Under a bridge. (not for me)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:34 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Novel, clever!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:36 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder how hard it would be to pedal with the camper and its contents attached.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:39 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post

Your casita is 8 feet wide and over 80 feet long?

Edit: oh, lower case casita.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I wonder how hard it would be to pedal with the camper and its contents attached.
Going up any steep inclines would sure be a workout and slow going.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:27 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Going up any steep inclines would sure be a workout and slow going.
I have a recumbent (tadpole trike design though) that has a 750 watt hub motor on the rear wheel. I use it for exactly that, going up steep inclines. My knees can't handle the power it takes to go at any speed up a really big hill so this assist lets me average out the physical stress of a ride. The lithium battery pack is 500 watt-hr and lets me ride about 50 miles on a trip with assist on hills and intersections (I scoot across fast after coming to a stop to limit my time in danger zones). Perhaps 200 watts of lightweight flexible panel on the camper and he could recharge while riding and at camp.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #15

Novel idea, really "cool," and I'd get a kick out of trying it........for maybe one day. After that, no thanks, for multiple reasons. (But I do give him credit for ingenuity)
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Very creative and minimalist and kind of cute. Seems to work for him. Our trailer is a 31' Hornet with 2 slides. So, I guess everyone has their own needs and wants.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:45 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

A no go for me. Not enough room for me and my 100lb lab.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I biked the Apple Cider Century with a Burleigh filled with my young son and a cooler full of drinks for our group, the total weight was around 60 lbs. Biggest issue was hills and cross winds. I was quite a bit younger but went the 75 mile route and was thoroughly gassed when I finished. So though it appears claustrophobically small for me I think I would still would have been gladly slept there after my 75 mile excursion.

The bike he is using would really be hard to go any distance with and uphills on a recumbent towing a “camper” would make for very poor visibility for him. The rear wheels, I assume there is no real reason to be using off trail wheels on a road other than trying to construct this at the lowest possible cost while maintaining functionality and would change to road tread for better roll, I used a Schwinn Passage which was from 1977 but built great even though a heavy bike it took a ton of abuse without any issues. I would think traveling 50-75 miles a day would be very possible with a better bike and rear wheels.

The amount of ingenuity and artistry he shows in thinking, designing and building this is truly impressive.
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Is there any credible indication that he lives in this thing? He clearly has a excellent shop, which is not inside his mini-trailer.

IMO, this is more akin to a hobby, and perhaps a public statement of some sort.

Can you imagine him having his girlfriend over for a beer and pizza? How about a romantic home cooked candlelight supper?

Ha
Old 04-13-2016, 10:16 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Can you imagine him having his girlfriend over for a beer and pizza? How about a romantic home cooked candlelight supper?

Ha
If this bike's a rockin, don't come a knockin