Join Early Retirement Today

Man lives of dead moms SS - for 15 years
Old 05-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Man lives of dead moms SS - for 15 years

Guess this might be the ultimate in home-grown COLA'd immediate annuities:

Quote:
A 66-year-old model railroad buff has been charged with cashing his dead mother's Social Security and pension checks for 15 years after she died and was buried in their backyard.
Rand Washburn is charged with two counts of grand theft for cashing checks worth more than $300,000 starting in 1994.
San Diego man accused of cashing dead mother's checks for 15 years | L.A. Now | Los Angeles Times
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe he bought some cool trains.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Washburn, a former UCSD history lecturer, never told authorities his mother was dead.
I guess the tenure thing didn't work out.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The article would have been much more helpful and reassuring informative if the journalist had discussed what led to the discovery.

Does Social Security send out an occasional verification form, or did he forget to file an income tax return on her?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The article would have been much more helpful and reassuring informative if the journalist had discussed what led to the discovery.

Does Social Security send out an occasional verification form, or did he forget to file an income tax return on her?
Saw a different article that mentioned a neighbor called because the son said he had buried the old lady. Not sure how that conversation came about. "So, how's your mom? We haven't seen her in, what, fifteen years now?"
Old 05-28-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I thought SS checks were all provided by direct deposit these days. I guess he must have had them deposited in a joint account.

Creepy!!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:16 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Saw a different article that mentioned a neighbor called because the son said he had buried the old lady. Not sure how that conversation came about. "So, how's your mom? We haven't seen her in, what, fifteen years now?"
"... and, say, your home-grown tomatoes are doing really well this year! What's your secret fertilizer?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I guess he must have had them deposited in a joint account.
Creepy!!
Either that or he had a power of attorney...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:07 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I expect this must be very common. A lot of people care for aging or disabled relatives and have access to their accounts. If they were also dependent on the relative's SS, seeing that first postmortem check arrive must present a big temptation. SSA must have some process in place to start confirming the reality of claimants in their 90s - 100s. A big fat government pension check would be an even greater temptation.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:16 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Here, again, the government is stifling initiative. We know the government is interested in stimulating the economy, we know they have sent checks to all taxpayers, and are looking to do more. Here a regular citizen takes it upon himself to aid in this process (taking helpful preventative stimulatory action well before the economic crisis was evident even to the Fed), and authorities are coming down on him like a ton of bricks. And, he's an orphan!
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:19 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I expect this must be very common. A lot of people care for aging or disabled relatives and have access to their accounts. If they were also dependent on the relative's SS, seeing that first postmortem check arrive must present a big temptation. SSA must have some process in place to start confirming the reality of claimants in their 90s - 100s. A big fat government pension check would be an even greater temptation.
There was a case like this here, in a neighborhood about a mile from my house. I think it was even more creepy (if that is possible!) because the son actually left his father's body sitting in a chair in the attic for two or three years until he was caught. A friend of mine who lives on the same block said that the son had a screw loose - - dressed oddly, behaved oddly, waved guns about a lot, and didn't have any friends. Never seemed sane after he came home from VietNam, she said. I don't know him but would speculate that he just didn't know what to do once his father died. My friend is more cynical and thinks maybe he hastened his father's death.

Ah, New Orleans - - where everybody knows everybody's business...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:34 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I thought SS checks were all provided by direct deposit these days.
I know there is at least one hold out. My 89 year old FIL adamantly refused to allow his SS to go directly to his bank and still gets a monthly paper check.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:05 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Creepy!!
Creepy to the 4th power. <shudder>
Old 05-30-2009, 03:51 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I know there is at least one hold out. My 89 year old FIL adamantly refused to allow his SS to go directly to his bank and still gets a monthly paper check.
Mother had the same opinion. She wanted to 'have control of her money'.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:56 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That definitely sounds like part of a common mindset for the Depression generation -- keep as much direct control over your own money as possible.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Guess this might be the ultimate in home-grown COLA'd immediate annuities:

And now he'll have free room & board for the next 10 years - what a deal!