Join Early Retirement Today

Man, We Are Tough On Terror
Old 05-04-2006, 08:39 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Man, We Are Tough On Terror

Moussaqui to watch plasma tv, play in* pick up basketball, bingo nights, movie nights, emcee talent show. The list goes on.* That jury sent a message.* Guess the next thing will be a swap for some hostage to be named later.* What a bunch of touchy feelie bull.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Man, We Are Tough On Terror
Old 05-04-2006, 08:45 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My guess is he'll be in isolation for a long, long time. If he goes in general population, he will get killed pretty quick.

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:06 AM   #3

there's probably not a lot of tivo in moussaoui's lifetime of solitary confinement.

in any case, death is never punishment. jail, however, is.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:18 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

He is headed for a lifetime of solitary confinement at the Supermax in Colorado:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4972526.stm

Solitary confinement is an almost permanent way of life, with ADX Florence's 400-or-so prisoners locked in spartan cells for at least 23 hours each day.

An hour each day can be spent in a concrete-walled recreation yard.

A typical "Supermax" cell's furniture - bed, desk, stool - is made from poured concrete.

If he isn't crazy now, he will be in a few years.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like my house ever since DW and I decided to LBYM to help achieve FI and ER.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:37 AM   #6

If i had a choice between death and solitary confinment 23 hrs a day, and being alone the other 1 hour, i'd choose death easy.* *Heck, thousands of people every year kill themselves with far better levels of existence than that.* * Death would have been the easy way out, and much less brutal a sentence.

Without a doubt, he got the worst legal sentence possible in the USA.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:02 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

He wanted death and martyrdom. He didnt get what he wanted.

Good jury.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:22 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
He wanted death and martyrdom.* He didnt get what he wanted.

Good jury.
I agree. No 7 virgins for him. No special place next to Allah's side. He is disgraced because he did not die for his cause.

Rotting in prision, surrounded by his failure and his disgrace for the rest of his natural life seems appropriate to me.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by poboy
Moussaqui to watch plasma tv, play in pick up basketball, bingo nights, movie nights, emcee talent show. The list goes on. That jury sent a message. Guess the next thing will be a swap for some hostage to be named later. What a bunch of touchy feelie bull.
Did you get this information from the Rush Limbaugh show? - Far from the facts!

This guy begged for the death penalty, so you're going to serve it up to him on a silver platter?

I'm mostly against capital punishment because it's too easy. We're all going all going to die sometime. Capital Punishment just changes the date and makes death far easier than most 80 year olds in nursing homes!

Old 05-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Two words: Butt buddy... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:29 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

This was a tough one, no question about it. *If anyone deserves the maximum sentence, you'd think someone involved in these crimes did.

That being said, I'm glad the jury went for life without parole. *The trial seemed to make the case that this guy knew that something was going to happen, somewhere, at some time, and that he lied to the FBI about what little knowledge he really had.

Executing someone for lying is a very dangerous precident to set. *I don't trust my gummint that much.

Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:33 PM   #12

I'm reminded of that comment by Morgan Freeman on Shawshank Redemption:

"They put you in there for life.... and that's exactly what they take." That whole spill was just beautiful actually, i should memorize it.

Its one of the best all-time movies IMO.

Azanon
Old 05-04-2006, 01:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Two words: Butt buddy...
I can never commit a crime because im kind of pretty; I have long eyelashes too. I'd definite be someone's b****.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:54 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

You already are!

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:14 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

News reported he will be in the same country club as the unibomber, eric rudolph, and the oklahoma city bombing conspirator. Can you picture the show and tell classes?
Old 05-04-2006, 05:39 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Running this death sentence trial was a waste of taxpayer money. As others have posted, he will spend a miserable life in prison and would have preferred death. The irony is, we could have gotten the result we ended up with without wasting millions of dollars.

I read all the time of idiot prosecutors who refuse to take a plea for life without parole and instead force a death trial just so they can crow about how tough they are. They waste a fortune of our dollars and they risk loosing the case. How would the victim's relatives feel if a killer walked on a technicality after some idiot refused to accept a guilty plea?

About the only use the death penalty has is to put pressure on killers to plea their cases out for life thus saving us the time and money for a trial.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:43 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
About the only use the death penalty has is to put pressure on killers to plea their cases out for life thus saving us the time and money for a trial.
Really?* What about that special feeling you get when the lights dim in the neighborhood and you know another soul has crossed over the line from here to there in, most likely, agony?* *
Old 05-04-2006, 10:21 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I read that there will be a camera to monitor him at all times. I wonder if the climate controls for the cell are in the Oval Office.

It is kind of interesting that giving someone some chemicals to knock them out and then kill them is considered to be the highest form of punishment, but blowing themselves up and having their body parts lying everywhere is considered escaping justice.
just_hatched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #19

It's not too often that I am encouraged by news from our legal system anymore, but this was a good result. This guy wanted to die and be a martyr. He failed. Many in the world would like to condemn the US for being bloodthirsty, mindless barbarians. They get no help from this jury. If the prosecutors had not tried for the death penalty, there would have been a lot of questions and a major outcry from many Americans. They can't complain. The system worked and it worked well.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:33 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
It's not too often that I am encouraged by news from our legal system anymore, but this was a good result.* This guy wanted to die and be a martyr.* He failed.* Many in the world would like to condemn the US for being bloodthirsty, mindless barbarians.* They get no help from this jury.* If the prosecutors had not tried for the death penalty, there would have been a lot of questions and a major outcry from many Americans.* They can't complain.* The system worked and it worked well.* *
We're not talking about Ken Lay here, are we?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote