Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Can anyone confirm the thread topic? So far it's covered the OP's son's dating experience, a guy going to prison because he deceived and robbed women during dinner dates , photos on dating sites, and dating. All that in only 10 posts!
In this day and age, the term is called multitasking .

1) The dine and dash guy looks creepy and the Charles Atlas body picture should have been a clue

2) I really don't see too much difference in the photos of the woman
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2018, 12:57 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW insisted I only pay half "dutch" on our first date. It was a first at the time I had always paid for the first date entirely. I was so shocked I invited her to meet my folks after dinner. Then, getting cocky, after she agreed to meet my folks, I invited her on the back of my motorcycle. She declined but we did end up getting married, so there's that.

I met her through friends when it was obvious she was interested. I did take quite a few internet dates out but none hit it off, one I had to leave at the doorstep because her profile picture was about 100lbs less than in real life.

To me that level of integrity is unacceptable.

I have single girlfriends who troll for free meal marks on tinder. Works well for them, but not the guy. IMHO that is too risky, for a free meal.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #23

I think I am the only one here who does not know/care how electricity/telephones/internet/computers or other things work!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:37 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I would be hard pressed to convict the guy on the dine and dash... it seems that the ladies expected to have the whole meal paid for, so that is kinda sexist if they did... but that is also normal... as mentioned by the OP the ladies seem to expect to get a free meal so if they do not pay should they be charged with a crime? To me it is a civil matter... they can sue him for reimbursement... it is not a crime...

Now, the dye and dash is a crime as he had service done that he was required to pay and did not...

What should happen (only on the dinners) is that the site should put a warning on his profile and that would stop almost all women...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
My son (25 and single) has been stuck with the dinner bill / obviously used as a free meal ticket so many times he refuses to use any online dating site.
Wow, what an over-reaction.

Almost two decades ago I was using an online dating site on which I eventually met Frank. For those I met on that site, I absolutely NEVER asked to be taken for dinner right away. Generally I asked to meet for coffee at Denny's and nothing more expensive until we had gotten to know one another reasonably well. Why? Obviously, because I didn't want any potential dates to think I was a gold digger. Plus, I wasn't sure I would be very interested in anyone so innocent as to fall for a gold digger.

I know I am far from the only woman who is not a gold digger, and doesn't want to be mistaken for one. Maybe he should just try to be a little more careful, rather than positioning himself as the helpless victim and refusing to use any online site.

Oh, and I should add that as you might imagine, I never had a dine-and-dash experience.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I would be hard pressed to convict the guy on the dine and dash... it seems that the ladies expected to have the whole meal paid for, so that is kinda sexist if they did... but that is also normal... as mentioned by the OP the ladies seem to expect to get a free meal so if they do not pay should they be charged with a crime? To me it is a civil matter... they can sue him for reimbursement... it is not a crime...
That's a good point. Let's say the genders were reversed, do you think the woman would be charged with a crime? Many women go on dates expecting the guy to pay, but when a guy expects the woman to pay he is a criminal?
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Not condoning what they guy did, but when I go out, I always bring a wad of cash and/or credit cards in case I'm the one getting stiffed. Never know when others will stiff or are cheapskates .
Old 09-14-2018, 01:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
How does skipping out on a check get you felony extortion charges? Sounds like an overzealous prosecutor trying to get a plea from the defendant.
It's not just from the value of the meals, it's from the pattern of behavior. If he'd done it just once or twice I'm sure they wouldn't bother. Those four women are just the ones who are willing to take the time and trouble to go to court to establish the pattern. No doubt there are a bunch of others who just chalked it up to life's tuition and didn't complain. And I'd be willing to bet my next pension check that he's not going to get anywhere near 13 years in prison.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
That's a good point. Let's say the genders were reversed, do you think the woman would be charged with a crime? Many women go on dates expecting the guy to pay, but when a guy expects the woman to pay he is a criminal?
He dashed instead of expecting to pay the meal. It’s implied public humiliation for the gal. I think that’s the difference then when guy expects the woman to pay. They have not settled on the bill yet.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #30

Quote:
I would be hard pressed to convict the guy on the dine and dash... it seems that the ladies expected to have the whole meal paid for, so that is kinda sexist if they did... but that is also normal... as mentioned by the OP the ladies seem to expect to get a free meal so if they do not pay should they be charged with a crime?uld put a warning on his profile and that would stop almost all women...
In the articles, the guy picked the restaurants and pushed for the expensive dinners, then walked out the door before the bill came. Regardless of what the OP says his son has experienced, that's not the story in the article, OP is conflating them.

And fwiw, NO ONE should meet for a first online date for dinner. It's stupid behavior no matter who asks or who agrees. Coffee, a drink - something you can be done with quickly if you meet and know "yeah, not for me".

My experiences were a lot like W2R mentioned, I would not even have wanted to say yes to a dinner for a first date. Too long, too expensive, too much pressure, and you can't talk much when you're eating.

To the OP, perhaps just tell your son "meet them for a coffee to start" and he'd be eliminating the weirdos he seems to keep picking.

And this is not a case of "well he expected the woman to pay" gimme a break. This is getting up saying brb phone call and disappearing, then blocking them. That's a douche, in any gender.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Now, the dye and dash is a crime as he had service done that he was required to pay and did not...
Senior discount isn't enough
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:18 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

The guy just left. He did not refuse to pay for her half of the meal. He left without paying for any part of the meal including his. IOW, the guy is a JERK.

That said, I know young women who refer to Tinder and other such apps as "The Free Dinner App". I am sorry if some women are offended because other women behave like jerks. We men have the same problem. Jerks are jerks, regardless of gender.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The guy just left. He did not refuse to pay for her half of the meal. He left without paying for any part of the meal including his. IOW, the guy is a JERK.
I agree he is a jerk, but is he a criminal?
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #34

Quote:
that will be for the judge/court to decide. Unlikely he'll do any time whatsoever, it will all be reduced to almost nothing besides full compensation, maybe a little probation to make sure he doesn't go back to it.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not only a criminal, he has multiple felonies!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #36

Quote:
It depends on the wording of the statute where the case is being prosecuted. For example, in MD there is a statute that defines "Theft by scheme and design" that would probably be applicable in a case like this.

That's why establishing a pattern of behavior is important.

The behavior clearly indicates that he is more interested in the free meal than dating anyone.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:28 PM   #37

Quote:
If you walk out of a restaurant without paying, is that criminal.
I know they went looking for me when I just went to a restroom after a meal.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It depends on the wording of the statute where the case is being prosecuted. For example, in MD there is a statute that defines "Theft by scheme and design" that would probably be applicable in a case like this.

That's why establishing a pattern of behavior is important.

The behavior clearly indicates that he is more interested in the free meal than dating anyone.
I hope they pick all women jury.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:30 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
That said, I know young women who refer to Tinder and other such apps as "The Free Dinner App". I am sorry if some women are offended because other women behave like jerks. We men have the same problem. Jerks are jerks, regardless of gender.
I've never been offended that some women are jerks. And I have no reason to defend jerky women.

But I do take offense when I see the immediate baggage-laden assumptions like.. well she shouldn't have expected a free meal (nothing in the article says that), she looks heavier than her pic (so? and guess what, everyone on a dating site does.. or older, shorter, uglier, less hair, etc.), she should have planned to pay her share (maybe she did, just not get stuck in the most humiliating way ever).
Old 09-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
If you walk out of a restaurant without paying, is that criminal.
I know they went looking for me when I just went to a restroom after a meal.
I'd think walking out without paying is similar to if you filled tank with gas and drove off. Know a couple of folks who got mistook for driving off without paying, next thing, cops got called.

On the other hand, I talked to someone who said she drove off one time forgetting to remove the fuel pump nozzle . In this case, the station owner ended up asking her out for a date as she was a former cheerleader. Go figure.