Join Early Retirement Today

Management Expectations
Old 06-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Management Expectations

Posing a question that results from a recent discussion with a friend who is still in the w*rkforce. Instead of recapping the details, I'd turn this into a question for others... What does/did upper level management expect of other managment workers?
In the case in point, the expectations were that management employess should work to standards that requred the Best. Best in effort. Best in results. Anything less than this would be a matter of not performing, and could be used in performace reviews. The example posed was an managment employee, charged with proofreading a 50 page document, failed to catch a spelling error... (there, instead of their). Not a firing offence, but performance below expectations.
The policy of the firm is that highest standards are expected, and that no special recognition is made, in any form of awards, prizes, or even management acknowledgement.

I could flesh this out with details, but the essence of the issue lies in those two factors.

I was absolutely stunned with this. My career employers always expected best effort, and rewarded exemplary performance, but reasonable judgements were handled on an individual basis. Sales and profit performance standards were set, but not as a determining factor for employment retention.

As a side issue in this discussion, management employees are expected to act by reporting any departure from the initial standards. Thus, each employee has the responsibility to bring to the fore, any deviation from the expected standard.

No rewards or recognitions are made within the company.
All of this is so alien to me, that I can't even comprehend the concept.

Thoughts on this? Has anyone seen this type of policy in their experience?
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like they need to hire Mary Poppins since she was 'practically perfect in every way.'

Of course, these standards will apply to everyone including the chief officers of the company who will, no doubt, give up their bonuses and executive perks if they don't catch 'their' being used for 'there'. Right?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

#1 is a myth. Employees (managers included) comes in all shades, colors, and their ability to deliver. Even the best companies don't attract best employees. In my megacorp, it really comes down to "are you meeting YOUR MANGER's" expectation, whatever it be. Expecting the best is good but not everyone is going to be the best.

#2 is a BS. Recognition (even a sincere pad on the back) is a key motivation for employees (again, managers included). Without it, there will be huge issues (retention, employee satisfaction, ....).

Edited: perhaps, there is the other side of story your friend has not revealed?
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Not an environment I would stay in. Folks can do their best, and not catch a common mispelled word.
A sincere thank you is the most cost effective thing that SR. management can easily hand out. Its something folks will remember in a positive way.
MRG
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
Administrator

Hmmm .. A question about work, posed by a retired person and addressed to fellow retirees? Here I thought all this time that working people came here to the forum to talk about the desirability of not working and how to achieve that.

Sorry, couldn't resist. It did take me a long while to get some of that stuff out of my system and I'm hoping to keep it that way.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I would give out rewards (or penalties for failure) for catching "it's" being used instead of "its".

It drives me nuts seeing people, not just posters here but so many bloggers who could otherwise write so much better than myself, making this dumb error. And I make plenty of errors, but none this basic I believe.

If one is not sure which form to use, he should remember that "it's" is the short form of "it is". Try to substitute "it is" into the place where you write "it's" and see how dumb that is.

Example: "The dog chases its own tail". If you write "The dog chases it's own tail", then imagine writing "The dog chases it is own tail". Are we a country of dyslexics?

OK, rant off now. I just have to get this off my chest.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

It's sounds like its a huge problem for you. Its a shame its now causing rants, but I suppose its to be expected.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

"He wrote me a prescription he said 'you are depressed.
But I'm glad you came to see me to get this off your chest
Come back and see me later - next patient please
Send in another victim of Industrial Disease'"...

Dire Straits

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

In this case, the spelling mistake was a minor irritant. But proof reading is important. I once picked up a proof reading error in a document that was about to be sent out in my name to some very influential people. The word "shift" had been spelt as "sh1t". Spellcheck recognized it as a word and did not correct it. Failure to catch something like that would be highly embarrassing.

It is nice to be paid well, recognized for good work and to be treated fairly when the work has not been up to standard. That is all an employee can really expect.

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It's sounds like its a huge problem for you. Its a shame its now causing rants, but I suppose its to be expected.
One of these days, when I cannot contain myself anymore, I will go on a rampage!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
One of these days, when I cannot contain myself anymore, I will go on a rampage!
Its a shame its come to this.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
I hope I'm not their when it happens...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

No, I will come.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I hope I'm not their when it happens...
Here, here!
Old 06-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
A man has to stand up for his principals.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
A man has to stand up for his principals.
All of them, or only his principle principals?
Old 06-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I think you mean "principal principles".

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think its time for a nap instead..
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I think you mean "principal principles".
Don't call me Shirley.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:23 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I have read several bloggers who knew the difference between they're, there, and their, but still wrote it's instead of its. ARGHHHH!!!!!

I think I have caught William Bernstein (the author of The Four Pillars of Investing) once. ARGHHHH!!!!

I CAN'T STAND IT ANY MORE.