Join Early Retirement Today

Managing Real Estate - a question
Old 02-20-2019, 11:59 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Managing Real Estate - a question

Guys help

I have gotten into an argument on another forum, and I want to see how you view this topic.

Say I buy Real Estate for $100k, I paid $8k upfront in closing fees and escrow. It is a set of apartments. Over the next 10 years, the rental income pays all expenses including the property taxes, insurance, mortgage P&I, and a monthly principal-only payment to buy down the mortgage. Over a few years, it buys down the mortgage principal to say $10k remaining. During this period I manage the property, but I do not take any profits for myself, as I am watching what I perceive to be the growth in my Net Worth.

Then the property has appreciated up to $150k. So I refinance the property running a new mortgage up to $120k, and the rental income continues to pay all expenses, including the mortgage P&I, and a monthly principal-only payment to buy down this new mortgage.

Now I have $120k that I have borrowed from this property, sitting in my pocket tax-free. And the property is once again re-building its Net Worth.

So when the appreciation reachs $200k, I decide to sell it. I get my $200k asking price, at this time the mortgage was down to $100k, so the buyers pay off my mortgage and I get $100k 'income'.

I am allowed 3 years in which to reinvest this $100k into a 'like-kind' property, or else this $100k will be taxed. [1033 exchange]

So 2 years later I reinvest $100k into a second Real Estate property, effectively moving that $100k out from being taxed.

And I now own a second set of apartments. Its rental income pays all expenses including the mortgage P&I, and a monthly principal-only payment to buy down the mortgage.

Now lets go back a minute, remember the $120k that I got from mortgaging the first property?

It was never taxed. And now that the property is no longer owned by me, it will never be taxed.

Did I overlook something?

I have owned four apartment complexes in the past. I am currently on my next apartment building.

In my way of thinking, I am making out big time with these properties.

But other investment folks are saying that it can not be done like this.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2019, 12:10 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid Organic Farmer View Post
Did I overlook something?
Yes. You don't seem to understand basis. You will be taxed on the capital gain, not the difference in the loan or equity you have in the property.

That $120 is just a reflection that somewhere in your assumptions, you are not recognizing the income you're receiving on a regular basis. If everything is as you assume, you must be making income (cash flow is exceeding expenses, not just covering expenses). Don't forget depreciation. In other words, your assumptions are too simplistic, you didn't make assumptions for income on the property and paying annual taxes and you did not assume basis or capital gain at the time of the sale.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We've had rental real estate over 30 years and you are correct: you are making out big time with rental real estate. You are wildly incorrect in how a 1031 exchange works.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:12 PM   #4

Were you depreciating the property for tax purposes while you owned it?
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:23 PM   #5

Basic issue is that you were paying some taxes on the excess income from the rents received over the years that was part of that $120K. If you ignore any depreciation, you still had positive cash flow on the properties which you were taxed each year, so the cumulative effect is that you did not get $120K as free money. Any positive cash flow after your allowable deductions was not free money. The monthly principle only payment was not deductible, which was the main source of your $120K.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:24 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes we have used depreciation every year, and we have updated the cost-basis each year.

I failed to explain that part of it.

As for the 1033 'like-kind' exchange, the profits from selling one property need to be rolled into the next property within 3 years [before or after the sale], and the cost-basis of that property must account for that capital going into it.

We have always used CPAs to do our taxes.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

"I have gotten into an argument on another forum,"...

Why did you get into an argument? It seems clear that you were wrong, you should have been thanking them for setting you straight.

As Jerry1 said: "You don't seem to understand basis. ".

You should go back to that other forum and apologize.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:34 PM   #8

I did something similar by taking out a HELOC out on the property.When I sold the property, some of the proceeds went to pay off the HELOC.
BUT the profit (or loss) was based on the difference between my cost basis when I bought the property and the sale price.
Here is a simple example:
Purchase price: 100K all cash

Present value: 200K
Loan: 50 K
Sold at 200K
Profit $100 K
Proceeds $150K after loan is paid off.
The money you took out is not tax free, it is deferred until you sold the property.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

!031, not 1033.
NOT 3 years:
Measured from when the relinquished property closes, the Exchangor has 45 days to nominate (identify) potential replacement properties and 180 days to acquire the replacement property. The exchange is completed in 180 days, not 45 days plus 180 days.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

We started doing this in 1985. I think we did use the principal-only payments as deductions, along with the P&I payments but on a different line.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:47 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

We were audited for the years 1997, 1998, and 1999.
But the IRS did not catch the error.
By then we were into our fourth property.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:53 PM   #12

Quote:
We have always used CPAs to do our taxes.
You should go discuss this with your CPA. Seriously. You need to better understand this and he/she is the right person to sit down with you and explain this. Given that you own property, this is something that is very much worth your time and effort. You could get the information from the internet, but why. You have a professional that you engage. Go talk to them.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:55 PM   #13

Quote:
We were audited for the years 1997, 1998, and 1999.
I cannot imagine why.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
You should go discuss this with your CPA. Seriously. You need to better understand this and he/she is the right person to sit down with you and explain this. Given that you own property, this is something that is very much worth your time and effort. You could get the information from the internet, but why. You have a professional that you engage. Go talk to them.
I would also point out that it might be a good idea to find a good tax ATTORNEY that is familiar with these types of arrangements. Not saying a CPA isn't equipped, but an attorney (that is properly qualified/certified) *might* have better insight into IRS/legal implications.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

There is no 3 years anything involved with a 1033 exchange. Go get tax advice.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:07 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Since there were each in different states and one was over-seas, we used different firms.

The apartment building that I have now was purchased with cash. I do not have a mortgage.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:14 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I cannot imagine why.
We signed a contract in 1997 with a Property Management firm, right before we went over-seas again.

That Property Manager's book-keeper claimed to have had a house fire that destroyed all records for 1997. Since I was stuck over-seas, I did not see any options other than accepting their word for it.

Then for 1998 taxes, they sent us a police report about another structural fire.

And for 1999 taxes, they sent us yet another police report about another structural fire.

So in 2000, my wife contacted the IRS requesting all the data they held, from which we could re-construct our taxes for those years.

In 2001, we returned stateside, we fired the Property Manager, and the IRS contacted us that they wanted to audit those years.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Quote:
Since there were each in different states and one was over-seas, we used different firms.

The apartment building that I have now was purchased with cash. I do not have a mortgage.
Then go find your next CPA. Since you always use a CPA to do your taxes, you should be in the market right about now. This will be a good conversation for you to have with them.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:20 PM   #19

Quote:
We signed a contract in 1997 with a Property Management firm, right before we went over-seas again.

That Property Manager's book-keeper claimed to have had a house fire that destroyed all records for 1997. Since I was stuck over-seas, I did not see any options other than accepting their word for it.

Then for 1998 taxes, they sent us a police report about another structural fire.

And for 1999 taxes, they sent us yet another police report about another structural fire.

So in 2000, my wife contacted the IRS requesting all the data they held, from which we could re-construct our taxes for those years.

In 2001, we returned stateside, we fired the Property Manager, and the IRS contacted us that they wanted to audit those years.
Wow, talk about bad luck. It took you until 2001 to fire them?!?
Old 02-20-2019, 01:30 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Wow, talk about bad luck. It took you until 2001 to fire them?!?
I was in Kosovo in support of KFOR exchanging fire with Serbian Christian Forces and I was approaching my retirement. I was not capable of managing the property myself.

After I retired, we returned stateside and we moved into one of the apartments. One of the tenants was a couple girls, who had not paid rent for a long time, they had been exchanging 'services' instead of paying rent.

That was nearly 20 years ago. Some details of what happened may be fading from my memory.