March Madness

The University of Dayton beat Ohio State yesterday in an upset. The game was quite a nailbighter. I don't follow college hoops, but there's a lot of celebrating going on here.

Mercer beating Duke....

Predict it will be the biggest upset this year....

Quick update on the pool.

Only six entries. Unbelievably, four of the six, including your truly, picked a #4 seed to win it all, the Michigan State Spartans. I grew up in Michigan, what's the rest of your excuses? True Izzone believers, I guess.

But, Go Blue in the meantime.

The CBS site is pretty cool in that it provides a summary of how everyone else in the pool is doing, and what their maximum points possible are.

Since my other bracket was in CBS sports.... thought I would try and connect up... no go...

Also, the scoring on my other is different... it is the round plus the team ranking... so a 12 beating a 5 is worth 13 points instead of 6 points if the favorite won...

First weekend EarlyRetire bracket results:
1) Marylicious: 47points, 171 possible, Win-MSU; Runner Up-Louisvulle, Final Four- Fla., WI.
2) MBAustin: 46/126;W-MSU, RU-WichSt, FF- Fla, Creighton.
3).Jack medura: 45/165; W-Fla, RU-Louis, FF-MSU, SDSU.
4) gcgang: 43/159; W-MSU, RU-WI, FF-FLA, UMich.
5) Richard LaFreniere, 41/89; W-Duke, RU-UConn, FF-Sy, SDSU.
6) Dan Huffman 39/159; W-MSU, RU-Louis, FF-FLA, WI.

Might be tough for Dan to catch Marylicious, with the same Final Four and currently trailing by 8 points.
Medura looks in great shape, with the most potential points, and Fla to win it all.
Gcgang can catch up if Michigan rather than Louisville makes it to FF.

Sorry about Duke and Syracuse, Richard.

Quick update on the pool.

Only six entries. Unbelievably, four of the six, including your truly, picked a #4 seed to win it all, the Michigan State Spartans. I grew up in Michigan, what's the rest of your excuses? True Izzone believers, I guess.

But, Go Blue in the meantime.

The CBS site is pretty cool in that it provides a summary of how everyone else in the pool is doing, and what their maximum points possible are.

I picked M State for three reasons: Izzo, pre season #1 pick, and ESPN analysts opinions

Heh - that would be me in first place. Not to worry - it wont last ;-)

I picked Michigan State because it seems I oftentimes underestimate them. From what I read, they had injury problems during the year but are now healthy and capable of winning it all. Didn't expect so many others to feel the same way, though. I figured Florida would be the popular pick.

Alrighty then!

San Diego out will help me get out of the bottom ranking. I still have a shot of going from last place to 2nd! Can't beat Mary since we have identical final four onward. She's got us all beat already I believe.

They're going somewhat bonkers in Dayton.

Alrighty then!

San Diego out will help me get out of the bottom ranking. I still have a shot of going from last place to 2nd! Can't beat Mary since we have identical final four onward. She's got us all beat already I believe.

I think I've got a chance to catch Mary if Michigan wins one more, tiebreaker will decide. If Mich gets to final, I think I've got it

Go Blue!

In one pool I'm in, I'm locked into dead last with no teams left. Last night knocked out my finalists.

Richard F, our current last place guy, can still win! But he needs UConn to win, twice, and MSU, UM, Fla and WI to lose.

Worst bracket picks I've ever made. I'm usually in the top ⅓ of a 100-person office pool. At least there is no money at stake in this one!

Geographically, I'm with the Wildcats.

But New England was good to me so the Huskies are fine too.

Last edited:
I find it amazing that the finalists are the 7 and 8 seeds. If I understand correctly these two finalists would have been between the 25th and 32nd teams of the 64 teams in the tournament ranked 1 to 64 by the selection committee.

Gotta love college basketball.

Results are final. Marylicious wins!

UConn. Teams seeded this low have no biz playing consistenty as well as they have but they've caught fire. I thought when they beat my Cyclones that if they played like that they could beat anyone ... and they've been playing just like that the whole tournament.

Money back guarantee :LOL:

I find it amazing that the finalists are the 7 and 8 seeds. If I understand correctly these two finalists would have been between the 25th and 32nd teams of the 64 teams in the tournament ranked 1 to 64 by the selection committee.

Gotta love college basketball.

The last poll, one week into the postseason, had UConn ranked 18
and UK ranked 27 ... remarkable.

UCONN is running away with this; 30 to 20 late in the first half.
KY will have to play much better to even make a close game.

Good game. It seemed odd that UK just walked off the court at the end - no handshakes or anything. Admittedly, UConn was celebrating but it just seemed odd to me. Did anyone else notice?

UConn women can wrap up a perfect season tomorrow night.

Good game. It seemed odd that UK just walked off the court at the end - no handshakes or anything. Admittedly, UConn was celebrating but it just seemed odd to me. Did anyone else notice?

Tina Turner once sang "You got to show some respect!"

Yes, a very good game. I don't understand why UK just walked off at the end. It wasn't like the game was marred by hard fouls to take a guy out. Bad calls didn't decide the game. There didn't seem to be much, if any, trash talking. So, I don't get it.

And, now, UK's coach is going to be asked about it until the middle of next season.

Back
Top Bottom