Join Early Retirement Today

March Madness
Old 03-22-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

March Madness

The greatest time of year.
Enjoying the games though I have the least winning picks I ever have had.

Wonder if my bookie has a frequent loser program.

Still think it's a Duke year.

Anyone else enjoying?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2019, 12:07 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday I only missed New Mexico St, who were down by 2 in the final seconds. One guy passed up an pretty uncontested layup to kick it out to another guy for a 3, who missed but got fouled, and only made 1 of 3 free throws.

At this moment I have all 4 games on. I have a 3 TV setup in my cave, plus a kindle.

RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Yesterday I only missed New Mexico St, who were down by 2 in the final seconds. One guy passed up an pretty uncontested layup to kick it out to another guy for a 3, who missed but got fouled, and only made 1 of 3 free throws.

At this moment I have all 4 games on. I have a 3 TV setup in my cave, plus a kindle.
My kinda guy!
But I'll be down at the local pizza shop / tavern for the multi screens as I dropped cable.
Dropping cable is probably why my picks are so bad this year. Haven't seen enough games to know who's doing well compared to who has potential.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #4

Love March Madness. Headed to a bar with DH to soak up some group atmosphere this afternoon.

I enjoyed the Wofford/Seton Hall game yesterday. Wofford has an enrollment of ~1,600. Amazes me how schools this size get to the dance, but they're always fun to watch. I remember watching Steph Curry from Davidson a few years back, and look at him now.

As much as I enjoy the games, I really get a kick out of Charles Barkley and those commercials and his game commentary, the Beer Wars/Corn Syrup commercials between Miller Lite at Bud and Phil the AT&T non-commentator.

The whole thing just makes me happy.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:00 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

It is a fun event. I like things like the Cal Irvine guy who hit a 3 pointer at the half to tie the game. Underdogs being heroes.

I could do without the nearly generic Nike "Family" warmups that most times are wearing. I guess that's better than the "Always Reppin'" year. I'd rather see teams wear their own warmups than being corporate shills.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:03 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Reporting in from Chapel Hill, NC. UNC Tar Heels are in it to win it. Go Heels!
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:53 PM   #7
gone traveling

If UNC can survive their bracket and get to the Final Four they will probably run into DUKE again who is grouped into the easiest bracket to get to the Finals. It would be wonderful to have another Tobacco Road rivalry match up again.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:04 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

UVA has been outscored by 26 points by #16 seeds in their last 2 halves. At one point GW was up by 14 today, but now it's 6.

I don't buy that Duke has such an easy bracket, since they'll probably have to get by Virginia Tech (who beat them already) and Michigan State. But as the #1 overall seed, Duke should have the easiest bracket anyway.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Houston going to final 4
Old 03-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Houston going to final 4
Yep! Scrappy and fast bunch of guys!
Old 03-22-2019, 02:54 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
If UNC can survive their bracket and get to the Final Four they will probably run into DUKE again who is grouped into the easiest bracket to get to the Finals. It would be wonderful to have another Tobacco Road rivalry match up again.
UNC and Duke have NEVER met in the NCAAs. If it were to happen this year it would be in the final game. Duke (with Zion) beat UNC in the ACC Tourney by ONE point and UNC had 2 shots in the end to win it. a Duke/UNC final would be a great game but I am afraid my heart could not take it. DH would have to be sedated. But UNC fans would love another shot at Duke.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:58 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I am big fan of March Madness. Though it became a lot more mundane some years ago when the games were split across multiple networks instead of only a single network. So no more regionally focused game broadcasts, no more switching games if your local game is becoming a blowout, no more getting to see the buzzer beater from another game in real time. So the modern tournament is a less hectic and less exciting to watch, but still worth tuning in...as an OTA broadcast viewer. (I also got a kick out of Phil the AT&T non-commentator.)
triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:21 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

The pokerszzz is always good in Vegas during March Madness
Wished ms. gamboolgal and I were there now
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #14

My favorite sports time of the year. Didn't do so well on my first day picks but only missed two yesterday. One guess who I've picked to win .
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:45 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

How about those Houston Cougars last night!
Old 03-23-2019, 11:17 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Love March Madness. Been following it for about 35 years now...

Would love to see the Hokies win it....but that’s not going to happen. Duke is the most likely winner, but given the pool I’m in....where almost everyone’s taking Duke, I figured I had a better chance picking someone else. So Virginia it is!

You can imagine how happy I was yesterday when they decided to actually show up for the second half

My brackets doing quite nicely so far. Missed a few but got all the 7-10s right, along with 13-seed UC-Irvine.
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:33 AM   #17
gone traveling

Duke had to wake up against North Dakota St at halftime to dominate in the second half to get the W. One reason why it's March Madness is that the cupcake teams are not always cupcakes. People lost $$ when Wofford and UC Irvine won.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:22 PM   #18

I don't have the time to devote to it like I used to. Now I just leave the scores on Espn.com and check in from time to time. I'll watch a few second halfs later in the tourney. As long as Duke doesn't win i'll be happy.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I don't have the time to devote to it like I used to. Now I just leave the scores on Espn.com and check in from time to time. I'll watch a few second halfs later in the tourney. As long as Duke doesn't win i'll be happy.
Games don’t begin until the second half anyway...
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #20
Confused about dryer sheets

Wofford Kentucky nail biter. Live by the three, die by the three.

ER2B is offline   Reply With Quote