margaritas

JohnDoe

Recycles dryer sheets
Can I get all this stuff at the liquor store?

• 2 oz. Lime Juice
  • 12 oz. Sweet and Sour
  • 6 oz. Jose Cuervo Tequila
  • 2 oz. Triple Sec
What is sweet and sour? Just a powder mix that mixes with water?

Anyone have a good recipe?

John,

Yes, you can get all that at a liquor store. Sweet and Sour is a base for several different drinks. If you're making Margaritas, you could also buy Margarita Mix, which you may be able to get for cheaper at a regular grocery store, since it doesn't have alcohol in it.

Here's our house Margarita recipe, which packs a kick.

3 parts Margarita Mix
1 part Tequila (we us Jose Cuervo gold)
1 part Grand Marnier

Combine, shake and pour over ice in a pint glass rimmed with salt. Enjoy!

Oh dear. Dont use any of that stuff.

Buy any tequila that says "100% pure agave" on the bottle. Preferably blue agave.

Sauza's Hornitos is a good choice.

Jose Cuervo is some sort of mutabooze with caramel coloring added and it tastes awful for any purpose. There is a benefit at hand. You can add a shitload more good tequila to a marg before it starts tasting boozy.

Best mix for it is even amounts of fresh squeezed lemon, lime and orange juice and simple syrup to taste. Simple syrup is pretty much a cup of water and a cup of sugar warmed until the sugar disappears, then cooled back to room temperature.

You can totally get away with the simple syrup, roses lime juice and a splash of some good orange juice.

Grand Marnier or triple sec can be very nice, but spendy.

And now we know why I own one of those big $20 stainless steel one-armed kachunker citrus squeezers.

Chilled glass, Salt the rim if you like salt with your margarita.

• The juice of 1 large Fresh Lime
  • 1 jigger of Cointreau
  • 1 jigger of Hornitos Reposado Tequila (100% Blue Agave)
  • Crushed ice
  • Add it to a cocktail shaker and shake well
  • Strain into a chilled glass
Welcome to Hornitostequila.com

Hornitos Reposado is smooth enough to sip straight. It is affordable. Much better than a mixed (51% agave) tequila.

Guess what I am having right now? :D

A good sipping tequila is Don Julio Añejo. So is El Tesoro Añejo.

Ok, I printed this thread and I'm off to the liquor store for this stuff. I really want a margarita tonight!

EDIT:
Back...I got Jose Cuervo Mar mix, Sauza Hornitos, Grand Marnier, and triple sec.

The cashier said the 1st 3 make a nice margarita.

Last edited:
I dont use triple sec.

Tequila. Mix. ice..Salt on the first few glasses. You get wasted enough just use the ice and mix,tequila. A bit more wasted just use Tequila ;)

Im not much help. I prefer my Tequila neat.

For the 1st one :D I used

2 oz Sauza's Hornitos
2 oz Grand Marnier
6 oz Mix
1 cup ice

Blender.

Next I try CFB's.

Edit: next time i pour it over ice instead of blending ice.

Last edited:
I would not bother with the mix.. lime juice and sugar suffice. But many liquor stores don't sell fresh limes/lemons. Enjoy, though!

OK,
We do Margaritas in quantity around here! We purchase dry mix. I think it is the stuff they put in the machines. I take about a sixth of the tequila out of the bottle and pour the powder in. After you mix it you have a base for margaritas. We mix 4 parts mix, two parts triple sec, and about a 1/4 cup frozen orange juice in a blender. Fill it with ice and blend!

Never had anyone turn down seconds!

Grab a box of Kosher salt.

Yep. Pour it into a saucer. Drink some tequila. Rub the rim of the glass with the cut side of a lime. Drink some more tequila. Invert and rub, shake to remove the excess. Drink some tequila.

What were we talking about again?

Yep. Pour it into a saucer. Drink some tequila. Rub the rim of the glass with the cut side of a lime. Drink some more tequila. Invert and rub, shake to remove the excess. Drink some tequila.

What were we talking about again?

Probably the be gentle with me Suze thread..

I make my 'margaritas' like this... I guess they've morphed into more than a margarita now...but it packs a punch....

All this goes into the blender...filled to the brim with ice
Daily's margarita mix....cherry or razzberry, or a combo of both
about 3 oz Sauza white requila
about 3 oz white bacardi rum
about 3 oz any clear liquor around...usually some sort of vodka I have handy
about 3-4 oz cheap, $5/bottle triple sec
a splash of water (this is specific to my blender and consistency preferences...and somehow it really seems to make a difference in taste....i dunno)

Ours makes (4) 14oz drinks ([arty cup almost full), served with WHIPPED CREAM on top...kinda like a daquari

John, we need feedback after each test round! if the postings get blurry we'll understand...

so what exactly qualifies as a margarita then? there seems to be a vast variety - cfb's is tequila, citrus and sugar (sounds good to me), others add other varieties...vs's fed's party mix!

i prefer mine on the rocks if anyone has extras!

john, if you have a cost plus, williams sonoma or even tjmax or marshall's, they often have a variety of drink salts in flavors and colors too...

Our favorite recipe:

1 small can frozen limeade (we use generic)
1 can Sauza Gold Tequila
1/2 can Contreau
Add ice to fill blender.
Garnish with 1/4 fresh lime.

Makes 4 good size drinks.:duh:

2fer

You need bigger glasses.

margarita.jpg

"Big Rita" is 13' high and 12' wide.
"Big Rita" weighs 2000 pounds empty.
"Big Rita" weighs 64,000 pounds full (32 tons).
It took 2 days to make the record shattering Margarita & Cocktail.
"Big Rita" holds 44,800 20 oz. Margarita's.

Back
Top Bottom