Join Early Retirement Today

Margaritaville for seniors
Old 11-15-2018, 04:07 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Margaritaville for seniors

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gtype=Homepage

NYT story on Jimmy's 55+ community in Fla. A bit more thoughtful piece on senior living and purpose. A sense of community is what I get from the story. They bury the AL & Memory care housing in the story. But overall a pretty good thoughtful piece

Scrapr is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2018, 05:19 AM   #2

Very nice overall. Perhaps down the road.
Thought heavily about 55+ communities, but decided for now on a mixed age gated community. Sometimes I wish there were more retirees, but we have made many new friends with ages ranging from 45-70.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:20 AM   #3

That is just down the road from us. A little too far inland for my liking. Very cookie cutter also.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:52 AM   #4

As an introvert, I've always felt most at ease in isolation. I live on 40 acres primarily to minimize the number of neighbors near me.

DW, who grew up in the city, occasionally fantasizes about having a downtown condo but upon reflection, realizes that having lots of other people living nearby would require a big adjustment after living for 30 years in the country.

Of course, all that may change if we lose our ability to live independently. Then the options would be based more on what we need than what we want.

Personally, a retirement community with a theme would drive me a little batty after awhile. That would apply whether the icon was Jimmy Buffett or Mickey Mouse. Buffett as a musician has never appealed to me -- I find his lyrics slightly lame. But "Lost Shaker of Salt" could be a good name for the memory care facility.
Mr._Graybeard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:57 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

-- I find his lyrics slightly lame. But "Lost Shaker of Salt" could be a good name for the memory care facility.[/QUOTE]

Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:03 AM   #6

I think I would prefer a Del Webb community myself. I have been around a few.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I think I would prefer a Del Webb community myself. I have been around a few.
Was in Palm Springs last week and played golf (Mountain Vista) at a Del Webb community, seemed very nice. Played with a couple owners there and they spoke very highly of it although personally I don't consider Palm Springs practical for a year round residence, good for 7 months of the year though.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:22 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would probably enjoy that place but I plan on aging in place. Kids and grandkids nearby, a "Village" supporting aging seniors, restaurants and grocery in walking distance.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:40 AM   #9

The writer had a handler from the developer. Interviewees were selected by the developer. Of course that doesn't diminish the experience of the ones interviewed. I would very much enjoy the social interactions. A happy hour for instance. But everybody in hawaiian shirts and dancing? Seems like a photo op there. That part would get old for me

<get off my lawn Jimmy>
Scrapr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
The writer had a handler from the developer. Interviewees were selected by the developer. Of course that doesn't diminish the experience of the ones interviewed. I would very much enjoy the social interactions. A happy hour for instance. But everybody in hawaiian shirts and dancing? Seems like a photo op there. That part would get old for me

<get off my lawn Jimmy>
The article itself was well done. The author zoomed in on a specific event (people lining up to "waste away in Margaritaville") and then showing its place among broader social trends. But yeah, the photos could have been handed out by the developer -- dancing, drinking, attractive widow/divorcee.
Mr._Graybeard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:00 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

At age 75 I can walk the dog any direction 5 blocks and depending on the bearing: hit an artist area (green/bluehair/tatoos) , hispanic/black , gay, med student cluster, or tourist trap - aka shops/various cuisines/boutique hotels, and plain old plain old 1950's style suburb.

That's enough variation of lifestyle for me.

heh heh heh - I thought his I - 95 song was rude until I had the opportunity to drive it. Ok Jimmy I got it now.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:41 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Well the best thing about the article is that I discovered their Radio Margaritaville. Can we assume Jimmy has approved all the music? This might be useful if one enjoys throwing tropical island themed parties, or simply enjoys Jimmy Buffet concert replays.

http://www.margaritaville.com/radio-player
Old 11-15-2018, 11:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Well the best thing about the article is that I discovered their Radio Margaritaville. Can we assume Jimmy has approved all the music? This might be useful if one enjoys throwing tropical island themed parties, or simply enjoys Jimmy Buffet concert replays.

Radio Margaritaville | Listen
I am sure Jimmy is more concerned with the $$$ he's making from the deal...like his margarita machine, the burger chain, all the bars scattered all over the Caribbean. I'm sure he has a team that makes sure all of this is "up to snuff".
Old 11-15-2018, 12:03 PM   #14

But the people in some of those communities are so . . . . . . . . old.

I may be of real retirement age now, but my wife and I are not . . .old. I'd like a mixture of ages.

And I'd hate to think I'd have to listen to all that Buffett music throughout the common areas at the pool and club house.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
But the people in some of those communities are so . . . . . . . . old.

I may be of real retirement age now, but my wife and I are not . . .old. I'd like a mixture of ages.

And I'd hate to think I'd have to listen to all that Buffett music throughout the common areas at the pool and club house.
I don't know...when my Dad was still around, he had some pretty rambunctious get togethers with his friends (as in every single Sunday until the last month of his life!)...all of which were at least 80 years old. I had difficulty keeping up with them!
Old 11-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #16

It looked fun but not moving to Florida. The senior housing developments here are way more expensive than in Florida.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #17

If it's anything like the Margaritaville resorts count me out. Simply put your name out front and collect the checks. I'm sure there are better options. The resort in Key West is a prime example. First it was a Hilton, then a Westin with few if any updates. Now a JB Margaritaville with a new sign panel out front and a few minor details. If interested read the reviews.
I doubt that a similar marketed 55+ community would be much different.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #18

Friends of ours live in a 55+ community in Texas. They will have 10,000 houses built in the near future. There are 5 floor plans to choose from. You can't plant a bush or paint your outside house without approval. There are several hundred pages of rules you must follow. They love it. I would not like it.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #19

R, that sounds terrible. I would not like that either.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

Last month on my early morning walk I passed the JB Margaritaville in Pigeon Forge TN. No Buffett music but Dylan's "Knockin On Heavens Door" was playing. Perhaps they mixed up the sound track from the retirement community in FLA.

And don't ask why I was in Pigeon Forge. Sometimes you have to do things for family.