Join Early Retirement Today

Marines again
Old 02-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Marines again

As I was lurking around the site, I remembered all the great input I got from you guys when I asked for input about my son wanting to join the Marines.

As an update, he graduated from HS a semester early and right now he is in boot camp at Parris Island with a scheduled boot camp graduation date of April 25th. I think the first few weeks are probably the hardest. It's a big adjustment for young people today to go from cell phones, texting and having instant access to everything your friends are doing to letter writing (what's that?) and having NO wifi, NO cellphone, NO television, NO video games, NO time to yourself.

He scored high on his ASVAB and his MOS will be avionics. He tried to go infantry but I just didn't think a 17 year old could fully grasp how demanding that would be and I drew the line. I told him to learn what the Marines is all about and learn a skill that could be used in civilian life. If after three or four years in the Marines he wanted to do infantry then I would support his decision.

I feel a little unprepared to talk to him about his benefit options, but I told him to start saving early, and sign up for the retirement savings picking equity funds with low expenses. He also signed up for the Montgomery GI Bill and can switch to the Post 9/11 Bill if that turns out to be more beneficial. I was surprised to find a lot of information and books written by ex service members about benefits and options.

For you ex military, you'll appreciate this....he said the DIs are a pain in the rear, and Marine Corps boot camp is not as fun as he thought it would be.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It sounds like things are going well for your son, and if the Marines selected him for avionics training they believe he's a sharp guy. I hope he "enjoys" () the remainder of boot camp, does well at tech school, and has a great first assignment.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:42 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikubak View Post

He scored high on his ASVAB and his MOS will be avionics. He tried to go infantry but I just didn't think a 17 year old could fully grasp how demanding that would be and I drew the line. I told him to learn what the Marines is all about and learn a skill that could be used in civilian life. If after three or four years in the Marines he wanted to do infantry then I would support his decision.

For you ex military, you'll appreciate this....he said the DIs are a pain in the rear, and Marine Corps boot camp is not as fun as he thought it would be.

I am completely unqualified to make a judgement, but this sounds like good parenting to me. Avionics is a valuable skill, and there is plenty of time to learn to get shot at. Hopefully when there aren't any shooting wars.

I'm positive that fun, is not on the Marine's top ten list of "ways to describe boot camp."
Old 02-16-2014, 07:31 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The guidance, directions and wisdom he receives in a frank, direct and unabridged manner will benefit him for the rest of life.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:49 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

My nephew is at Parris Island right now as well, mid May graduation. His mom says he's doing well and adjusting (meaning doing what he is told). I sometimes wish that every young kid could spend a few weeks in boot camp as I believe it's a real eye opener and a valuable experience. I realize not everyone could or should tolerate it.

Ikubak, Best of luck to your son on his time in the Marines!
Old 02-19-2014, 08:43 AM   #6

Good luck to your son. If anything, it will definitely make a man out of him.

I can remember going thru basic and the first thing out of the DIs mouth was, I want all you guys from the north to step forward. Then he said, "not to worry, I'm from the north too, north Texas." Then the fun began.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:03 AM   #7

My son spent seven years enlisted in the Marines, and now has twelve years as an officer. It is a cult! But, a good one. I would be surprised if your son goes infantry after four or five years in avionics. Flying marines and ground pounding marines are a different breed. He will be older and a little more use to the 'softer' life. i.e. sleeping indoors rather than in a tent. Having said that, the Marines are all about infantry, and everything they do is about support of that branch.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:14 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I remember your past thread, Ikubak. And the advise we gave.

Your son does not know it now...but it will be one of the best decisions he will ever make in his life.

I just retired, and looking back going into the AF was one of the best things I ever did, too. I got out after 4 years but the boost it gave me lasted my whole life. Ex-military are a different breed than the interns I had seen getting hired that have no life experience, no social skills, and Mom and Dad paid their way thru school.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Agree with Redbugdave, you son's getting a great education.

A mentor of mine credits his servive in the Marines with saving his life. He said without the discipline they taught him, he would not be alive. He's been a C level executive, with several fortune 500 company's.

I'll mention the bit about boot camp to him, I know he'll get a big kick about that.
MRG
Old 02-19-2014, 10:21 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I still have a couple of dents in my behind from a Marine drill instructors boot.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:33 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikubak View Post
Marine Corps boot camp is not as fun as he thought it would be.
Well that is absolutely the last time I'll put any credence in what I see at the movies!

You did very well by him.