Join Early Retirement Today

Market reaction to Katrina.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:54 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Market reaction to Katrina.

Does anyone find the aftermath of Katrina and the behavior of the stock market to be at odds?* I can't help thinking this is not going to end well.* * *

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Market reaction to Katrina.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:02 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The market behavior doesn't seem that strange. Most of the losses are insured against, and through reinsurance, the risk is held at a national and international level.

With all the damage comes a surge in cleanup ($) and reconstruction ($$).

Or I'm wrong. Since I dollar cost average into the market and hold forever (until I retire), my understanding of the market doesn't really matter for my investment purposes.

Old 08-31-2005, 04:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskaverse
Does anyone find the aftermath of Katrina and the behavior of the stock market to be at odds?* I can't help thinking this is not going to end well.* * *
I agree. Betting on lower markets ahead. *Sitting on cash and oil stocks waiting for the bell to ring. *They do ring a bell at the low don't they?
Old 08-31-2005, 04:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
I agree. Betting on lower markets ahead. Sitting on cash and oil stocks waiting for the bell to ring. They do ring a bell at the low don't they?
Yup, yup, yup. But you have to have your ear in Wall Street's butt to hear it.

--Greg
Old 08-31-2005, 04:17 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
The market behavior doesn't seem that strange.* Most of the losses are insured against, and through reinsurance, the risk is held at a national and international level.*

With all the damage comes a surge in cleanup ($) and reconstruction ($$).*
I find the whole thing perplexing. The companes that will benefit from reconstroction (FRK, for one) are way up, as are any of the refiners and E&P guys who didn't get completely crushed in the gulf. However, $3.50 a gallon gas is a disaster for the "real" economy if it lasts more than a few weeks. I think we are in for a long, expensive winter, and if that is the case you can kiss the Xmas season goodbye for all but the highest end retailers.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:34 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Concurr.

MSNBC was commenting that construction related firms would be adversely impacted based housing prices.* I don't think so, it looks to me that there is a lot to be done as a result of the storm.* Material suppliers should be happy too.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

In any case, the gas station frenzy I saw and the apparent widespread destruction of the refining and nat gas production capacity in the gulf does not make me want to be long anything economically sensitive, especially retailers that target the middle class or lower. Its got me rethinking my NLS position too. If I see another up day I may sell some covered calls on half my position.

- Will Rogers
Old 08-31-2005, 10:14 PM   #8

Seems as though many think this is aftermath will have a short life. Surprised to see the markets up. To me it will impact the econ a bit longer than expected. Ports shut down, gas up for a while, consumer nervousness, soft commodity crops will see some damage (i.e. MS cotton poof be gone) & increase prices, blah blah. I am signing off before I start too much like Greg
Old 08-31-2005, 10:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I find the whole thing perplexing. The companes that will benefit from reconstroction (FRK, for one) are way up, as are any of the refiners and E&P guys who didn't get completely crushed in the gulf. However, $3.50 a gallon gas is a disaster for the "real" economy if it lasts more than a few weeks. I think we are in for a long, expensive winter, and if that is the case you can kiss the Xmas season goodbye for all but the highest end retailers.
I didn't even think of that, cripes! X-mas is just around the corner, and many retailers get out of the red just from those six weeks of the year.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:38 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I agree ... I'm beginning to think that if we woke up tomorrow and heard LA was blown away by terrorists, the markets would be up 1% again.

Not only do we have the fuel / oil crunch ... the domestic auto OEM's were so desperate, they pulled ahead large amounts of business into July, Aug, Sept with their employee-discount programs ... hurt many retailers.

Some say all of this is already factored into market prices ... hard to believe.

But, this is another example of my complete inability to time markets.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:23 PM   #11

All I know about the market is that nobody is saying there is a bubble in equities, and most people are predicting sideways movement for a while. That's good enough for me to keep buying.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
All I know about the market is that nobody is saying there is a bubble in equities, and most people are predicting sideways movement for a while. That's good enough for me to keep buying.
Retire - in 45 years of following the market, I've seen it take a dump whenever it wanted bubble or not, its unpredicability fascinates me...
Old 09-01-2005, 07:36 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Retire - in 45 years of following the market, I've seen it take a dump whenever it wanted bubble or not, its unpredicability fascinates me...
Yes! This is what bugs me about investing.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:46 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Yes!* This is what bugs me about investing.*
That's the tough part of being an investor in volatile assets: some days, it is your turn in the barrel.

- Will Rogers
Old 09-01-2005, 08:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
That's the tough part of being an investor in volatile assets: some days, it is your turn in the barrel.
I just read that evacuation from the Superdome has stopped because shots were fired at rescue helicopters. Hummm! Maybe JG should take some of that money he has made from credit card borrowing, send it to the NRA so that they can send guns to NO to pass out to citizens, then someone will shoot those dang shooters who have interupted rescue operations. Humm! Maybe not.

--Greg
Old 09-01-2005, 08:16 AM   #16

Yea, more guns!

What a great idea.

NOT
Old 09-01-2005, 08:38 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
... Hummm! Maybe JG should take some of that money he has made from credit card borrowing, send it to the NRA so that they can send guns to NO to pass out to citizens, then someone will shoot those dang shooters who have interupted rescue operations....
Since we haven't heard from JG in almost a week, could be he's in NO making citizens arrests of looters & shooters. Can't you hear him saying "Go ahead...make my day"?

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
I just read that evacuation from the Superdome has stopped because shots were fired at rescue helicopters.* Hummm!* Maybe JG should take some of that money he has made from credit card borrowing, send it to the NRA so that they can send guns to NO to pass out to citizens, then someone will shoot those dang shooters who have interupted rescue operations.* Humm!* *Maybe not.

--Greg
[/quote

NOLA has a high crime rate, and really, high everything else bad rate.* No doubt they have 1000's and 1000's of people who are parole violators or have warrants on them for past deeds.* Then there's the 1000's who should be in that category, but have not been ID'ed yet.* With society functioning in a normal mode the opportunity to offend is perhaps at 20 on a scale of 1 to 100.* Take away the constraints and the opportunity pops to 80, 90, 100??
Given the same disaster circumstances, this sad situation could and probably would unfold in many of our major cities. Increased taxes for more prisons anyone??
Old 09-01-2005, 09:15 AM   #19

I should add, that I do recognize the difference between looting for survival and criminal acts..Mommas are supposed to take care of their kids someway somehow.
If it takes looting to do that- - I say press on Momma
Old 09-01-2005, 09:22 AM   #20

The mayor of NOLA is so mad about the looting and would rather see it stopped than to continue search and rescue? Who cares if people steal a tv, its not like they can plug it in and use it anywhere?