Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2008, 03:33 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ashamed to say I was 17/20 . I have officially been brain washed by the Korperate markiting thugs

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

17/20 I am bummed. Stupid paper towels and the other two I missed my gut gave me the right answer, but I out thought myself.

The consistently high scores 17 seems to be the mode, really show how powerful branding is. Some of those campaigns haven't been seen in a decade and yet we still remember them.

Some of the most fun I had in my job was watching focus groups. We'd get IT managers who swore, "I don't pay attentions to ads", and then proceed to regurgitate key points directly from our ad copy.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:54 PM   #23

12/20. Apparently Mastercard is for everything else, not Visa. Brawny is not the quicker picker upper. UBS does not have a bull for a mascot. Nor does Telex have a T in a star. I missed all of the sound ones but 'you've got mail'. Even though we could never afford name brand cereal as a kid, I did recognize the frosted flakes. The BMW and Mercedes logos were easy because that's generally what cuts me off every day on the way to work.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

17/20, but I got distracted because I thought I had mail, and I answered the dough boy before reading the question.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:47 PM   #25

I just IM'ed it to my mom. She answered 8/20. And, she lives far more frugal than I can ever hope to.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Sadly, I had a 17/20 and correctly recognized all the audio tests.

That Intel jingle is probably the reason AMD is in trouble... Does AMD even have a jingle?

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:35 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
We'd get IT managers who swore, "I don't pay attentions to ads", and then proceed to regurgitate key points directly from our ad copy.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:40 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoonEnough View Post
That Intel jingle is probably the reason AMD is in trouble... Does AMD even have a jingle?
They dont, unless its "we lose money on every sale, and somehow we're not making it up in the volume".

Good thing I strongly objected to the eventually defeated attempts during cost cutting meetings to knock the last "bong" off the jingle...

Not to go too far afield, because I'm generally not known for that, but AMD's problem is no more and no less that Intel is one of the most fastidious manufacturing companies on the planet. AMD's manufacturing, when they do it in-house, is lackluster. When they farm it out, its expensive. Intel has such incredibly low failure rates and such high yields that given a silicon slice, they'll make far more pieces far more cheaply than pretty much any other chip maker.

Thats where the rubber meets the road: big profits when they can keep the price points high, still good profits when they adjust price points low enough to force AMD to sell at margin.

Having a superior product certainly helps.

So does creating a marketing and advertising plan that actually invites the customer to give a hoot who made a chip thats inside their computer. Most people dont even care who makes the computer.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:47 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

19/20 unfortunately. I have made an effort to watch less TV, but I guess I haven't gotten that nonsense out of my head yet...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:21 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post

But he recognizes coke machines, coke trucks, and everything is coke. He calls pepsi "blue coke", real coke "red coke", and one of his favorites is 7-up which is "white coke".
This reminds my of when my niece was a little kid with many many Barbie dolls. I asked her once what were the names of her Barbies. She promptly recited different names for each one. She understood: Barbie is a brand, not a name.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:57 PM   #31

By some guess work I managed 16/20. However, like someone else I didn't realise that you were supposed to have the audio on for the last few questions which makes it hard to guess what the sound is.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:01 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Some were just guesses.

They were mostly older; I don't watch TV much anymore.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:16 AM   #33

20/20 "Calgon, take me away!"

The only one that was unfamiliar was the ESPN music, since I never watch/watched ESPN. But it was easy to tell just by the 'tone' of the music.

Yeh, I thought calling all soda "Coke" was a Southern thing.. prolly because of Coke coming out of Georgia and being the first widely marketed beverage of that type, before there were other flavors?
http://popvssoda.com:2998/countystats/total-county.html
I couldn't get over it the first time I heard someone ask for an "orange coke"..

My sister's kids have recently been into "everything Dora".. they want "Dora" cookies and "Dora" soup, not to mention "Dora" backpacks and shoes and gloves and hats and shirts (for the girl). "Dora" SOUP?
Old 02-09-2008, 07:07 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Like Coke, Kleenex is an even more ubiquitous name. No one I know ever asks for a tissue, always a Kleenex.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
My sister's kids have recently been into "everything Dora".. they want "Dora" cookies and "Dora" soup, not to mention "Dora" backpacks and shoes and gloves and hats and shirts (for the girl). "Dora" SOUP?
Yep, Gabe spotted Dora cereal and had to have it. Turns out its better nutritionally than the stuff I'd been getting him in the natural food aisle.

Even more pleasing, he developed a distinctly unbranded affinity for those super high fiber "twigs" cereals. Actually they have a nice nutty flavor

He didnt care much for the Arthur version of spaghettios though, which is good cuz those are $2.50 a can.

Also, if all y'all havent gone toy shopping in a while, thats an interesting experience. Everything is branded to a tv show now.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:43 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

16/20. I think I need to turn off the tv and get out more.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivrider View Post
16/20. I think I need to turn off the tv and get out more.
Well that may very well be true, but I suspect that if you gave this quiz to every American over 25 the average score would be very high.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #38

more fun quizzes:
Quiz: An artist or an ape?
Old 02-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
more fun quizzes:
Quiz: An artist or an ape?
LOL!!! I only got 33%. Even more embarrassing, I said a Jackson Pollack painting was done by an ape. On the other hand, I have never been especially drawn towards modern art at all, so maybe that is an excuse.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #40

Funny. I got them all. I just figured if it looked like something I could draw, it must be the ape. Not sure what that says about my artistic ability, but it was good for my score.