Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-13-2016, 03:55 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It wasn't either/or in the past, and doesn't have to be in the future...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2016, 04:02 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

No miles and miles of solar panels, rows and rows of windmills, gigantic banks of battery to store that power, colossal dams for reservoirs for storage, massive desalination plants for Californians to water their lawn again?

Old 05-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
No miles and miles of solar panels, rows and rows of windmills, gigantic banks of battery to store that power, colossal dams for reservoirs for storage, massive desalination plants for Californians to water their lawn again?
No instead you have as an offshoot of the Mars mission solar roof tiles made of triple junction carbon nanotube copper indium alloy, which by the year 2030 enabled all new homes constructed to be entirely grid neutral. The technology invented in 2026 by Dr. Simon Yangar and his team to extract water from Martian rocks enabled California to export water to Washington State.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:31 PM   #64

Perhaps a quote is in order:

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

-JFK
Old 05-13-2016, 05:39 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
No instead you have as an offshoot of the Mars mission solar roof tiles made of triple junction carbon nanotube copper indium alloy, which by the year 2030 enabled all new homes constructed to be entirely grid neutral. The technology invented in 2026 by Dr. Simon Yangar and his team to extract water from Martian rocks enabled California to export water to Washington State.
I like that.

Can we have all that and just stay home on cozy earth, instead of going to chilly Mars?
Old 05-13-2016, 05:50 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I like that.

Can we have all that and just stay home on cozy earth, instead of going to chilly Mars?

YOU can stay home, but the tech leaps might not happen without the boost...
Old 05-13-2016, 06:23 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

People say that we need the challenge of space travel to get some solutions to problems on earth.

What I was hinting at is that the above is a fallacy. We can work on earth problems without trying to solve an indirect space problem.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:29 PM   #68

Quote:
People say that we need the challenge of space travel to get some solutions to problems on earth.

What I was hinting at is that the above is a fallacy. We can work on earth problems without trying to solve an indirect space problem.

Maybe the survival of the human race could be a side-benefit? Surely worth a few fed dollars, no?
Old 05-13-2016, 06:32 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Imagine if an asteroid is going to hit Earth and not Mars, or the other way around. People in the doomed planet are going to cry out and say that it is not fair, that they should be on the other planet. There's panic, pandemonium as people trample each other to board the few shuttles to escape.

I say let us stay all in one boat. We all go down together. It's more fun in h*ll that way.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #70

Imagine if an asteroid, perhaps 20 miles in diameter is going to hit the earth in 30 years. Would it perhaps have been beneficial to have the technology capable of putting humans on Mars which could also maybe be used to divert the asteroid while it is years from earth. On the flip side, we could have plenty of clean water and nice roads for people here on earth as they drive to the final party and toast to their impending doom.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:28 PM   #71

I want the asteroid to hit me square on the head and put me out of my misery fast.

Hopefully that will be right after I ate a $50 lunch at the sushi bar.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:41 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Imagine if an asteroid, perhaps 20 miles in diameter is going to hit the earth in 30 years. Would it perhaps have been beneficial to have the technology capable of putting humans on Mars which could also maybe be used to divert the asteroid while it is years from earth. On the flip side, we could have plenty of clean water and nice roads for people here on earth as they drive to the final party and toast to their impending doom.

Perhaps we read too much sci-fi? *shrug*
Old 05-13-2016, 08:56 PM   #73

For sure. Either asteroids or terminator computers will get us for sure. Or tropospheric tornadoes or stoppage of the "core". Global warming and flooding, bird influenza and ebola.

The end is near guys are always popular, sandwich boards on street corners before high tech.

All we have to do is go to Mars and turn on the air machine.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:07 PM   #74

Quote:
Sadly, there's little glory and little thanks for solving most earth problems. Look at the high standard of living enjoyed by today's Americans, and yet large numbers of them gnash their teeth because somebody somewhere's got even more.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:38 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
For sure. Either asteroids or terminator computers will get us for sure. Or tropospheric tornadoes or stoppage of the "core". Global warming and flooding, bird influenza and ebola.

The end is near guys are always popular, sandwich boards on street corners before high tech.

All we have to do is go to Mars and turn on the air machine.
Without technology, we would not have MRI, radar weather forecasting, heart transplants where you are walking around the next day, handheld computers that can hold all of the books ever printed and still have room for angry birds.

All of which would have been considered science fiction 100 years ago.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #76

Quote:
Imagine if an asteroid is going to hit Earth and not Mars, or the other way around. People in the doomed planet are going to cry out and say that it is not fair, that they should be on the other planet. There's panic, pandemonium as people trample each other to board the few shuttles to escape. .
What would really happen is that the chosen few in power will take all the available spots and regular folks will all be left behind. Oh...they might bring along a few workers that know how to run things, but unless you're one of the "elite" or one of their minions, you will probably be left behind.