Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Being 60, I don't think I have 50 years of mobility left, let alone being graceful about it. Maybe I better get going with it, assuming I could find an instructor,in reasonable travel, who understands where the blocks begin and counters start.
I can vouch that when you're thinking about starting martial-arts training, it doesn't help to wait until you're older.

Our instructor tells me that he doesn't accept students wearing diapers... from either end of the age scale.

Hey, Ronin, nice signature, I see that Sunday 22 June 08 Dilbert cartoon is spreading like wildfire!
Attached Images
File Type: gif Dilbert on ER.gif (58.3 KB, 3 views)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
I had the chance to practice a little with Master Hsu, who unfortunately for me, moved to Taiwan..
It is always a pain to find someone good, then loose them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I can vouch that when you're thinking about starting martial-arts training, it doesn't help to wait until you're older.
Yeah, but it sure builds character.
Quote:
Our instructor tells me that he doesn't accept students wearing diapers... from either end of the age scale.
Somehow I knew that Depends would show up.

We had a minimum age of 16 for getting in the class, the upper end always self limits to students willing to take falls, frequently. Unless they already were players, they passed after watching that every move, including multiple attacks ended in uke(s) on the floor.
I actuallly enjoy taking rolls/falls. There is a theory, that when taking proper fall, you stimulate a lot of shiatsu points. How's that for cheap therapy?
Old 06-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
the upper end always self limits to students willing to take falls, frequently. Unless they already were players, they passed after watching that every move, including multiple attacks ended in uke(s) on the floor.
So true. Those shoulder separations thin out the weak ones. I don't let the new students take forward ukemi for several classes as they tend to drop out anyway so I don't risk them getting hurt. If they hang in for a while I start to teach them to fall.

Only thing (physical technique) that I ever used in real life was taking a big breakfall when I slipped off the deck of my trailered sailboat while swabbing the deck. Perfect landing, dusted off, walked away. Not even embarassing since no one else saw it.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:25 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yup, falling is one of the most useful skills. Once I had a 30-year martial arts guy say a similar type of thing. He only used his training once, when he tripped over one of the concrete dividers at a gas station, and changed his sprawl into a soft roll. Another student I trained with once was thrown from a horse but landed in a safe break fall, much to the astonishment of the people who saw her.

On the flip side, I watched MIL slip on a patch of ice (right when she was saying, "Watch out for the ice"). Of course, she caught herself by putting her hand down, which then shattered her forearm. She had to have an external metal rod put on her arm, attached to her bones by a few screws that went through the skin. I often tend to use that story as a precautionary tale when teaching new students how not to fall.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:07 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I had ventured a guess in the past, that the reason people land with arms out, as first point of contact, is to save their Sunday best. So in trying to save their clothes they break hands, wrists, jam shoulders etc.

In my case falling was an automatic reaction, from weeks of drills of PLFs from various platforms in jump school. PLF= Parachute Landing Fall. The neat part of PLF once you get the hang of it is: this type of fall is closer to actually slipping than a rolling fall.

PLF starts with forearms in front of face, body in a slight curl, toes contacting ground, then calf, then butt, finishing with deltoids. In practicing learned all four directions. The trick is in pivoting on the toes as necessary. The fifth point of contact (your head) is to be avoided, by tucking in chin.

Any "Black Hats" are welcome to add or correct the description.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #26

Well, the scenario I was concerned about after the passing of my Sensei has finally unfolded just about as expected. A low level power struggle, ending in the individual with the control issues acquiring the reins. Training became very disappointing and unenjoyable for me. So I quit cold turkey. My own dojo was closed down this past June due to the financial crisis, so I am no longer active in training. There is no viable alternative nearby. If I want to find another place to go thru the motions, half speed and effort with mostly beginners and a teacher who has nothing to provide for me, I could do it. It has no appeal at this time. So...
Old 12-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
I am addicted to MMA. I watch it on tv several times a week.
Jeff
Did you catch UFC 107 last night? Sheesh did BJ Penn wreck Diego Sanchez... made his eyes almost swell shut, split his lower lip, made his cheeks have a new shape, removed half an eyebrow, and opened a gash on his forehead almost big enough to see him thinking.

Merciful stoppage.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Ronin, sorry about the school closing. I've seen that sort of power struggle in several places. Most recently some years ago with several of my headstrong classmates in what was their old school in northern NJ. They have always ended in dissolution of the Dojo.

Unfortunately the longer you are around the more likely to become "homeless".

It seems you have arrived at your screen name. It can be a severe self teaching tool.

The best I can offer is the Japanese concept of Heiwa. In time you may find a new home, though often what remains is the shadow practice with extreme visualization. Unless you decide to teach in your own school. That has it's own headaches.

For may years my teacher taught on a club bases. A few of us pitched in a few buck$ for renting floor time/space in a gymnastics studio. There was no teaching fee involved. Just a few of like minded souls getting together for the love of the art and after class some suds in a beer joint. I might add, some of the best lessons came while shooting the breeze over a few brews. Might want to consider it.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:28 AM   #29

The school that closed was my own class. Ran it for 14 years. Actually it is kind of a nice break not to have the responsibility now. Appreciate your comments. As much as I like training, so far I don't really miss it. Never know what the future will bring. I'd considered what you mentioned about my screen name, interesting coincidence... or maybe self-fulfilling prophecy...
Old 12-14-2009, 10:22 AM   #30

Quote:
So true. Those shoulder separations thin out the weak ones.
Heh. Interesting quote from a few months before I separated my shoulder. Didn't weed me out.

Quote:
The school that closed was my own class. Ran it for 14 years. Actually it is kind of a nice break not to have the responsibility now. Appreciate your comments. As much as I like training, so far I don't really miss it. Never know what the future will bring. I'd considered what you mentioned about my screen name, interesting coincidence... or maybe self-fulfilling prophecy...
Well, some of what is going on in your head might be because it was unenjoyable over the last period of time. I think that once you find yourself another good instructor/peers your desire to train will come right back.

My dojang seems to be very unusual in that we are surviving the loss of our Grandmaster instructor, who passed away in March. The dojang is still going strong, and not a single senior instructor has left the school. But we've been lucky in other respects as well, and have a strong tie with another school (albeit one 3,000 miles away).
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #31

Ouch!

You are right that I wasn't enjoying training, although I still liked teaching a lot and would have gladly continued. I remember one Sunday class where the only students were me and a young kid. I was as gentle and patient as humanly possible, and he still ended up crying in the dressing room after class from the stress. What a horrible feeling.

One possibility that I have been monitoring is an excellent instructor from your side of the country who has considered relocating out here in our neck of the woods. So far it hasn't panned out though, so I'm not holding my breath.