Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Shocks keep coming

Jesse's Café Américain: A Message Received From a Friend In Japan

Latest Earthquakes in the World - Past 7 days
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm seeing good HD coverage (some in English and some with English subtitles) on the NHK World network, being carried over the local PBS station KHET in Hawaii. There is a series of evacuation advisories for expected additional tsunamis and some news of the problem nuclear reactor in Fukushima prefecture, which may leak some minimal radioactive material into the atmosphere, authorities say.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #23
Administrator

Aftershocks but also a new earthquake in central Japan (6.6).
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's a series of good still photos.

Powerful aftershocks shake Tokyo

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
8.9 ?
Wasn't sure that was possible.
There's a 9.5 on the top of the list:

Historic World Earthquakes
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Thankfully the wave had become much smaller by the time it reached the US, but it's incredible that it has traveled so far!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Got a phone call from AT&T at 0400 this morning with a tsunami warning. Apparently some property was damaged along the coast in parts of California, but I'm a little too far inland to have seen anything.

Any word on donations starting from any rescue and help organizations yet for Japan?
Old 03-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
Any word on donations starting from any rescue and help organizations yet for Japan?
I was listening to a Windsor, Canada (across the river from Detroit) radio station this afternoon. The Canadian Red Cross is asking for financial donations only at the moment. They are awaiting word from the Japanese Red Cross to get details on anything else that might be needed.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In that article "The Coast Guard searched for a man Friday who was swept out to sea by powerful waves generated by the tsunami in Northern California while taking photos near the mouth of the Klamath River in Del Norte County."

Sorry to be skeptical, but I'll bet the man was just caught by a plain vanilla big wave while taking pictures. That beach is 40 miles north of here, and I just looked at our beach, and just above the normal wave slope, there are footprints that were there yesterday. Here are the waves we've had recently (Crescent City buoy). That peak in height is coincidental, we see peaks like that all the time.

But apparently Crescent City's tiny harbor got a significant surge.

Also from the article:
Darren Lee, a photographer who surfs daily in Santa Cruz, carried his board down the narrow staircase at Cypress Point about 10 minutes before the tsunami was due and paddled out to his regular spot.

Immediately he could tell something was different.

"It was a low tide but it felt like a medium tide. It was real bouncy. There was a lot of current," Lee said.
After surfing for about a half-hour, he decided to come back in. Tsunamis, it seems, aren't conducive to good surf.

"It was really inconsistent," he said, "and I was like, OK, it's like this because there's a tsunami. Now I've been there."
I'm not buying it -- typical placebo effect.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Update 6: Worse news from the Fukushima plant-the facility has experienced a "station blackout," meaning all cooling mechanisms have halted. This is "one of the most serious conditions that can affect a nuclear plant," says the Union of Concerned Scientists. And if cooling dies completely? A meltdown shortly thereafter. Japanese nuclear experts are scrambling to maintain the flow of coolant through portable generators-let's hope it works.
Japan Declares Nuclear Emergency as Nuclear Plants Cooling Functions Fail (Updated)
Old 03-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I see that they have a 2nd plant in jeopardy.

The industry is in deep do-do, can't blame this on the green-beanies.

TromboneAl, the harbor at Gold Beach (north of Crescent City) also got hit hard, at last report there are a couple people missing.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
8.9 ?
Wasn't sure that was possible.
That's a biggie. And remember that the Richter scale is logarithmic - a 9.0 is ten times more powerful than an 8.0, one-hundred times more powerful than a 7.0, and so on.

I don't have the link handy, but I read earlier today that this shift in the plates affects the entire globe (ahh, here is the link):

What unleashed Japan's massive 8.9 earthquake? - CSMonitor.com

Quote:
When quakes like this occur, they have a global impact on the planet, adds Richard Gross, a geophysicist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. Based on initial estimates of the magnitude and location of Wednesday's quake, he calculates that the Earth's rotation slowed by about 1.6 millionths of a second, and the axis around which the planet's mass is distributed – some 33 feet away from the planet's spin axis – shifted by some 6 inches.
So I guess we all moved 6 inches today? Do I need to reset my atomic clock?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:42 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

So I have question for you nuclear engineers. How much radioactive material is contained in nuclear power plants.

Best case this sets back nuclear energy in the US by 5 years... a lot more is likely.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:49 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Heard from family in Tokyo that all is well and power is back on, so some normalcy is being restored.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:33 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

BBC News - Huge blast at Japan nuclear power plant

Live updates:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698
Old 03-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #36

A catastrophe - the quake and tsunami. But, if there is a nuclear meltdown, how does one cope? I have a hunch that the Japanese powers that be are downplaying events in order to deal with panic of the citizens.

At first, I was stunned. But, the antidote to fear is action, and we went ahead and sent in a donation to the International Red Cross.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #37

Keep safe Rambler. Thanks for checking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Checking in from Tokyo.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
A catastrophe - the quake and tsunami. But, if there is a nuclear meltdown, how does one cope? I have a hunch that the Japanese powers that be are downplaying events in order to deal with panic of the citizens.
One of the experts on TV said that he thought a meltdown was unlikely.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Reports have come out suggesting a partial meltdown in at least one reactor.
missionfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionfinder View Post
Reports have come out suggesting a partial meltdown in at least one reactor.
A contact in the UK whom I trust reports that they are working on the basis of a "4 out of 7" event, on a scale where Three Mile Island was a 5 and Chernobyl a 7.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote