Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Massive earthquake in Japan-tsunami warning
Old 03-11-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Massive earthquake in Japan-tsunami warning

for Hawaii and west coast US.

Tsunami Slams Northern Japan After Massive 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Off Coast - FoxNews.com

Looks terrible, hoping for the best for folks in those areas.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Japanese forum mebers, Nords and other Hawaiians ok?
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Tsunami has been non event in Hawaii, thank god. Although the warning sirens going off all night have been a pain. But better safe than sorry.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks, just saw the news from Hawaii and looks like it was best that could be hoped for.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Tsunami will hit these countries at given times. Share as soon as possible. | Dawn Wires: World News 2.0#
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:49 AM   #6

I'm 100 yards from the ocean on Oahu, but up 8 feet or so. A few hours ago, I heard megaphones in the distance, presumably warning people to evacuate. But they didn't come up my street. The highest wave on this island reported was 3.3 feet --- not that high. It doesn't appear so far that much of significance will happen here. I'm sorry that Japan has suffered so.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Tsunami waves hitting Hawaii not unusually high - latimes.com
Old 03-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #8

Checking in from Tokyo. The destruction' s widespread. Many lives lost. Much property destroyed. We won't know the full extent of the damage until the light of the morning, but we know it's bad. We are still having major aftershocks. It's 1am, and I'm beat, and almost afraid to go to sleep or fear of another major aftershock that would be cause for evacuation. I have Internet, but no phone, landline or cell. The iPhone has data service but no voice. But, we are safe...for now. DD lives in a beachside apartment in Hawaii. Sounds like she's ok.

R
Old 03-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I am so glad that Oahu has been spared. Let's hope California will be, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Checking in from Tokyo. The destruction' s widespread. Many lives lost. Much property destroyed. We won't know the full extent of the damage until the light of the morning, but we know it's bad. We are still having major aftershocks. It's 1am, and I'm beat, and almost afraid to go to sleep or fear of another major aftershock that would be cause for evacuation. I have Internet, but no phone, landline or cell. The iPhone has data service but no voice. But, we are safe...for now. DD lives in a beachside apartment in Hawaii. Sounds like she's ok.

R
I am SO GLAD you checked in. My first thoughts were with you specifically, and with other members in Tokyo and I am glad you are OK. I'm sure there will be aftershocks. The loss of life and destruction seems tragic from what I can tell in the early news reports, although naturally we do not know as much as you do about it yet.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

R
It's time for you to retire and come home Rambler.....
Old 03-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #11

There are tsunami warnings along the Oregon and Washington coast this morning and schools are closed. I expect it will be a non-event here.

My sympathy goes out to Japan for all the loss of life and injuries they have suffered.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I am glad you and family are OK Rambler. An 8.9 is almost impossible to conceive. At least Japan is a very well developed wealthy country with the world's best quake building codes.

Here is a good, clear video from USA Today.

8.9 magnitude quake triggers deadly tsunami in Japan - USATODAY.com

I would imagine that this will be the largest insured loss ever, certainly the largest from a quake, though recent hurricanes have set some pretty high bars.

Imagine if the epicenter had been in Tokyo!

Ha
Old 03-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I know that authorities have to treat this thing seriously, and I don't mean to joke about it, but we are being hit with a tsunami of overreaction here.

They shut off the power for a few hours this morning, schools and other things are closed, there's an emergency vehicle posted on our street, and so on. The radio stations are saying things like "We'll return in a moment to our live coverage of the tsunami warning."

I guess it's good that they get a chance to practice for a real tsunami.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #14

So glad to hear that you and your family are good, Rambler. Thanks for checking in.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Checking in from Tokyo. But, we are safe...for now. DD lives in a beachside apartment in Hawaii. Sounds like she's ok.

R
I thought about you too, glad you and family in HI are OK, thanks for checking in...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:

R
Hope you have no more aftershocks or damage. My son lives in Osaka and he felt multiple tremors. This was a big earthquake.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm glad so far everyone is allright.

Hope nobody's boat is getting damaged.

Tsunami arrives in Calif., knocks boats loose - San Jose Mercury News
Old 03-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I've been watching the video coverage on the Weather Channel. The images of the ocean waves and surge coming ashore and the damage from the tsunami in Japan are just horrendous.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
8.9 ?
Wasn't sure that was possible.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #20

Now a M6.6 aftershock.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote