Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-16-2016, 09:05 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our washer and dryer match - they are both 30+ years old, bought together to replace a small stacked unit.

If one needs to be replaced, the other will stay until it needs to be replaced. Though they are behind bi-fold doors, no aesthetic issues.

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2016, 09:07 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd rather replace before they break rather than having them break & needing to make a quick decision on the broken machine's own schedule; i.e., I want to be in control of some aspect of my life anyway. I mean after 12-15 years, what's the ROI difference vs. saying they break at 16 years? 20 years? Don't forget the front loaders water & energy savings.

At the time we bought, yes, a matching pair (Horrors!), I thought we got a better deal than buying two different pieces separately anyway.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:10 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I bought a Whirlpool washer and dryer with a new house in 1984. They moved to this house in 1989. We replaced the washer when it was 12 because rust was being deposited on the clothes occasionally. Turned out the problem was the galvanized pipes, not the washer. We finally replaced the dryer about 3 years ago, because the element seemed to be overheating.

When the 20 year old Maytag gives out, as it is threatening to do, I may bring back the 1984 Whirlpool, although I have a Kenmore I purchased in 2010 before the rules and the design changed waiting. The Whirlpool is still in the garage. I kept the dryer as well. It's probably repairable.

One of my rentals in Arizona has the original 1978 Harvest Gold GE set. The tenant is still using them.

I don't care if they match. I just care that they work.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:10 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I will buy whatever is the best value regardless of brand or design. I couldn't care less if they match. Much more important to me to get them on sale than with the same design. There's no question i'm far more frugal than the average person so this may not be the norm.
It is the norm for me.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:17 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Ours is a matching set. White. DW had a difficult time finding a set that would just wash and dry. Don't need the darn thing to play music or steam my clothes. Don't care if they are wrinkled. Just want them clean.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #26

We had a matched set in 1983 when DW and I got our first house. The 1983 dryer is still going strong. I refuse to let it die. It's very easy to get parts and work on. Washers, not so much. We get a new washer every 7-8 years. The dryer is off-white, so we usually get a middle-of-the-road white washer that comes sort-of close to matching, at least color-wise. It's pretty obvious they come from different eras, but that doesn't bother us.

AA: 45% stock, 35% bonds, 15% real estate, 5% cash
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:24 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Mine were bought in different years - but they're both white... does that mean they match?

No, I think they need to be the same brand and model to match .
Old 07-16-2016, 11:04 PM   #28

My fridge and my stove are both white, food goes from one to the other, do they match?
My washer and my dryer are both white, clothing goes from one to the other, do they match?

So does this lady worry about her fridge and stove being the same model ?
Old 07-16-2016, 11:05 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

An old Maytag washer came with my first house so I bought a new dryer. I had them for more than ten years and it bothered me that they did not match. Then I bought a used Kenmore set from a friend who was moving that are now more than 20 years old. When one of them breaks down, I plan to buy a new matching set. If they were in an old basement, I would not care but I have never lived in an area where the homes have basements and probably never will.

And yes, many people want their fridge, stove, and dishwasher to be the same line (e.g., shades of stainless steel may vary from model to model, design of door handles vary.)
Old 07-17-2016, 03:28 AM   #30

Everyone's been bragging on their old appliances. But when they're replaced, bear in mind that the new washer and dryers are no where near the quality of those old appliances.

We had a Maytag Neptune front loader and it was terrible. Replaced it with a new generation Maytag top loader and it didn't last any time. Looking around, the same washer with different controls was an Admiral--entry level machine.

We switched to a Fisher & Paykel made in New Zealand. It's a completely different animal. We had some problems from it, and we unplugged and replugged it--electronics needed rebooting. Spins so fast the clothes require little drying.

We don't care that the washer and dryer don't match.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:41 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Our first washer and dryer matched in the early 80's, but not since. Replaced washer once (tub broke off in moving) and two dryers (just quit). But I buy plain white, so it's almost like they've matched all along. [Thanks for making me conscious not to buy some wild designer color washer or dryer - it might look tacky if they were different colors]

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:02 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I will buy whatever is the best value regardless of brand or design. I couldn't care less if they match. Much more important to me to get them on sale than with the same design. There's no question i'm far more frugal than the average person so this may not be the norm.
Same for me. I always look for a sale or previous year model clearance, and the thought of matching both pieces or getting stainless steel has never crossed my mind. Stainless steel is nothing but a colour/design choice, although some people think the quality is better.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:22 AM   #33

First house --- what ever we could find cheap (used) - did no match at all. We were still in college.

Second house (new build). New washer and dryer... different brands same color.

Moved -- used existing washer and dryer from second house.

Couple years living over seas - matching Miele washer and dryer. Sold them in host country

Moved back home and pulled old W/D from storage

Replaced washer with europe (dishwasher) sized unit. Replaced dryer with normal US dryer (mid/lower end).

-----------------
I don't understand needing matching appliances that hide in the basement. But then I have not joined the ranks the must wear designer clothes.

Many are driven by different things.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:49 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Ours are in our garage, so, no. However, being a bit OCD myself (spices alphabetized, clothes hung in order by length/color, towels folded exactly the same ), were my laundry area inside, I could definitely see doing this. Similar to how my kitchen appliances match. Color/style only though, as I'm not hung up on their all having to be the same manufacturer/model as long as the overall look is cohesive
Old 07-17-2016, 06:56 AM   #35

No dryer, by choice.

Clothes last longer when you airdry em. So its win-win for me Actually had a dryer in my last place (provided by landlord), never used it.

Surprised by some folks here who have such old washing machines, the energy efficiency really went up with newer ones (<10y).
Old 07-17-2016, 06:58 AM   #36

Ours match and are a set. We've never replaced only one, but when we did buy, both the replaced units were ready for the big appliance graveyard in the sky. When one unit fails we repair it, use them until both are just not up to the task.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:59 AM   #37

No. In fact the last time we had to buy a washing machine we did it on the phone. Called Sears and asked when they could deliver. Two days, fine. Ordered a basic model that was on sale..DW did not care about all the knobs, settings, etc.

Salesman says...when are you coming in to see it and pay. I ask if they are still white and square. He haltingly laughs. I give him our credit card and ask him to send it out.

It is only a washer. Why on earth would we care if it matches the dryer or anything else? After all, fridge, stove, and freezer are all different brands. Come to think of it so are my power drill, my jigsaw, and my saw.
We are just not anal about things like that.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:13 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Mine match - both square-ish and white.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:21 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Mine match - both square-ish and white.
That's how my kids describe me.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:45 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

I noticed this kind of washer dryer in a store window last month in Europe: no matching decision, as one machine does both: LG 4.3 Cu. Ft. Front Load Washer / Dryer Combo -WM3997HWA