Join Early Retirement Today

Matching Washers & Dryers
Old 07-16-2016, 05:34 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Matching Washers & Dryers

Does your Washer & Dryer match ? I have never thought about this until my SO's daughter in law was upset that the Washer & Dryer did not match and wanted to replace a working Dryer because of this .I have had matching Washers & Dryers but I have also had unmatched sets and I never gave it a thought but is that a faux pas ? My mismatched sets were always the same color just different brands .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Never a worry.
Sure I buy a set when setting up a new house, but when one breaks badly, (usually the washer) I buy another one the same color (white).

Seriously if this is the crisis of the SO's daughter in-law, she either leads a charmed life and does not work, or is simply nuts, or possibly has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
Do you notice her aligning things in rows, how are her towels folded in the linen closet?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:45 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I thought it was just her but another younger woman mentioned doing this when I was at the gym today . If one appliance breaks you chuck both of them and buy a new set .
Old 07-16-2016, 05:48 PM   #4

...and that young woman either has some major OCD and/or won't retire early! of all things to worry about matching, my laundry appliances would never be on the list. Maybe when selling the house if they are obviously mismatched it's worth mentioning "but they work perfectly" even then... still?
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:48 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Never a worry.

Seriously if this is the crisis of the SO's daughter in-law, she either leads a charmed life and does not work, or is simply nuts, or possibly has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
Do you notice her aligning things in rows, how are her towels folded in the linen closet?
Hear, Hear!!!

Definitely too much money on their hands!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:00 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Our current washer and dryer are a matched set... bought at the same time. In our old house we did not have a matched set... we had replaced the washer and had an older dryer... when the dryer was giving up the ghost I got on craigslist and found a dryer that matched up with the newer washer... had to drive about an hour out of my way but got it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:00 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Mine match. The previous owner of the house got a set with a lot of high tech features too. But when these eventually bomb, I will replace with my normal low tech off brand model.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:02 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

OTOH if this is the worst thing the DIL does, your SO's son is a lucky man IMO.

I would want them to match if people could see them (I think it's a little visually jarring if they have different design features). Ours are in our utilitarian basement so it wouldn't matter. Even then, we replaced a dryer with a cheap model when it broke, but kept the washer, and it drove me crazy til the washer finally broke and we got a matching set.

Don't most people buy the same design when replacing both at the same time--do you get the top rated in each regardless of the brand?
Old 07-16-2016, 06:02 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Mine don't match. I only replaced the washer when it broke. Also, I noticed when I replaced it with a more expensive front loader, the dryer that went with it was a lot more expensive too. And don't get me started on the pedestals!
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:29 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Don't most people buy the same design when replacing both at the same time--do you get the top rated in each regardless of the brand?
When I bought a whole new set both matched but then one would break and I would buy the replacement because of features I wanted not whether they matched or not . Mine are in a laundry room with the door shut.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:29 PM   #11

Had both washer first, then 2 months later the dryer quit, just in last six months. They were not a match but each over 20 years old. We replaced them one by one, Went to a mid-level HE washer with electronic controls but a lower priced basic dryer. They are both Whirlpool, bought at different stores depending on who had the better pricing that particular month. There in the basement so could care less if they match. Matching? It wasn't even brought up in discussing what to get with DW.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:42 PM   #12

As long as my shoes match I'm good.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:50 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Mine don't match. I only replaced the washer when it broke. Also, I noticed when I replaced it with a more expensive front loader, the dryer that went with it was a lot more expensive too. And don't get me started on the pedestals!
I really covet pedestals and may buy them for myself. I bought a matched set 4 years ago-front load w/d for energy saving modes. My old dryer-mustard yellow-could have burnt down the house. And my washer, while not broken was hard to reach to bottom of tub. So I'm happy but would feel pampered with the drawers underneath and not have to bent down so far to grab clothes.
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:07 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Ours don't match, and they are in the basement. In previous houses, when they were in an alcove off the main hall, they also didn't match. Getting a matching laundry appliance when other crumps just seems silly and wasteful.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:07 PM   #15

We just bought a matching LG front loader set from the Sears scratch n dent store. $1700 set for under $1100 delivered. We didn't pay for the drawer stand thingies. Before that, I had a matching set too.

Not sure it's a must at all, just the way we've gone over time. This time it was less water, less noise, less energy with more laundry expected now with DD inbound in 10 weeks!
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:11 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Ours match since they came with the new house and are both still going strong. If one dies, I would not have a problem just replacing it. Probably would stay with the same colors but bands/models wouldn't enter into my selection decision. Heck, nobody sees them in the separate/isolated utility room anyway except the DW and I, so who cares.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:41 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I will buy whatever is the best value regardless of brand or design. I couldn't care less if they match. Much more important to me to get them on sale than with the same design. There's no question i'm far more frugal than the average person so this may not be the norm.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:29 PM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Wouldn't have front loaders w/o pedestals to see in & unload easier. I'd at least make a stand from 2x4's & plywood. Also moved dryer vent from floor to inside the wall to add 4-6" of floor space. Of course height needs to match with dryer outlet.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:40 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Washer/dryer match, but until I remodeled the kitchen, my refrigerator was white, the range almond, the dishwasher black, and the countertop microwave was black/faux woodgrain...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:49 PM   #20

Mine were bought in different years - but they're both white... does that mean they match?

Our kitchen appliances are mostly white - with a SS range. (DW/Fridge/Wall oven/Microwave are white). Doesn't bother me.

I do not see value in replacing appliances that work, just for aesthetics.