Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-30-2012, 04:34 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm also not sure that I would even like a memory foam mattress. It might just feel weird. Maybe if I tried a memory foam topper first I would have more of an idea.
It's been a while since we bought ours but, IIRC even the toppers are expensive. So, that could be an expensive test. What DW and I did was lay on the display bed for 10-15 minutes. That worked for us, and the sales folks were very accommodating.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We got a Tempurpedic about ten years ago and love it. At our weekend house we use foam toppers from Costco that work pretty well. Not ready to invest in the real thing down there.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #23

We purchased a Costco foam topper for our main Queen mattress that will probably need to be replaced in the not too distant future. We like the feel of the topper so we would probably like the Tempurpedic. Never wanted to take the financial plunge on a Tempurpedic but it's good to hear that everyone loves them and I'm now considering taking the plunge.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
What type of mattress cover is it?

We have a TempurPedic and love it as well. We do have a cover on it, but it doesn't help too much in regards to controlling the heat.
We bought one of the better quality mattress covers from Wal-Mart. You could always put a large beach towel between the mattress and the mattress cover if you're still too warm. Lay it horizontally across the bed where your torso goes. We love our TempurPedic!
Quote:
So, all you Tempurpedic owners: tell us more about the Tempurpedic.
It's the most comfortable bed we've ever owned and we've owned lots of bed. Our TempurPedic is now 10 years old and this is the longest we've ever owned a mattress.
Quote:
Does it come with its own box spring, or is it supposed to go directly onto a platform bed?
I agree with the other posters that you don't want to have to jump up and onto your bed. We bought both the top mattress and the bottom "box spring" and the bed is sitting right on the floor. That's a comfortable height for us. Had I kept the waterbed frame, I probably would have just purchased the top mattress so the bed wouldn't be so high.

Quote:
Any ideas on how to get a good price on a Tempurpedic mattress? I know they cost an arm and a leg.
I know there are knock-offs; just not sure of the quality. Yes, the TempurPedics are expensive; however, we believed, and still do, the price was worth it. Theyr'e amazing.

We bought our TempurPedic locally. Keep the box. If you ever have to move the thing, even from room to room, it helps to shove it back in the box to move it. They're wiggly things when they're up on end.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
"Old lady" observation about bedroom sets. Many of today's mattress setups result in a bed that you need a step ladder to climb on. Before you buy a box spring determine how high you want your bed to be. Also, take a look at your fitted sheets. You may find that your sheets won't fit the new mattress. A decent sheet set can easily cost $60+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
It's been a while since we bought ours but, IIRC even the toppers are expensive. So, that could be an expensive test. What DW and I did was lay on the display bed for 10-15 minutes. That worked for us, and the sales folks were very accommodating.

We bought a memory foam at the Dump and love it... we did pay extra for the one that allows heat to be channeled... no problem with heat..

As mentioned by some, check the height of the bed... we had bought a new bed and the guy also sold us box springs... when it was delivered you had to crawl UP into bed... it took me awhile, but they took back the box springs and gave me all my money back... (rant... the guy who sold us them flat out lied when we talked to the manager... he said he told us NOT to buy them but we insisted).. now it is at butt level, so it is easy to get in and out...

My son has a topper... it is a 2 inch topper that my BIL bought... but it was for a full or queen and he has a twin... we just folded it over and he has a real nice bed... and it is on top of a foam rubber bed that I had when I was young (they last forever).... we have tried to get him a new bed, but he says he does not want one...

My BIL had his mattress made... he bought the base foam, a middle foam that is different and then the top memory foam... paid someone to glue it all together... he said it is better than the ones you can buy... this was many years ago when the price was WAY high, so it might not be the way to go today...
Old 01-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #26

As someone who likes the room cold at night, my concern is a foam mattress will throw back too much heat.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
We bought a memory foam at the Dump and love it... we did pay extra for the one that allows heat to be channeled... no problem with heat..

As mentioned by some, check the height of the bed... we had bought a new bed and the guy also sold us box springs... when it was delivered you had to crawl UP into bed... it took me awhile, but they took back the box springs and gave me all my money back... (rant... the guy who sold us them flat out lied when we talked to the manager... he said he told us NOT to buy them but we insisted).. now it is at butt level, so it is easy to get in and out...
That is the absolutely perfect level for me, too. My present bed is about knee level or below. When I sit on it my feet are flat on the floor, and my knees are several inches above my hip joints. That's too low for comfort, for me. Just looking online, it seems like a lot of beds these days are platform beds and I worry that they might be too low for me. If one was high enough, then maybe I could skip the box springs too.

When I decide to start looking for mattresses and a new bed, I'll measure both at stores using the handy-dandy 6-ft tape measure that I always keep with me in my purse.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
We bought one of the better quality mattress covers from Wal-Mart. You could always put a large beach towel between the mattress and the mattress cover if you're still too warm. Lay it horizontally across the bed where your torso goes. We love our TempurPedic!
Ok...thanks. When we bought our mattress and platform box, they threw in a free TP liner. It's water-proof which is a good thing since when folks get older they have a tendency to spill their champagne more easily. I have tried the towel and that works pretty well. I'll continue to do so.

One thing folks need to remember about the TP mattress is when you try it out in the store, be ready for it to feel differently when you have one delivered. Your new one won't be as cushy since it hasn't been rolled around on by people. You'll need to walk around on it to soften it up a bit. I remember I did that and it was exhausting. I got quite the workout.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
"Old lady" observation about bedroom sets. Many of today's mattress setups result in a bed that you need a step ladder to climb on. Before you buy a box spring determine how high you want your bed to be. Also, take a look at your fitted sheets. You may find that your sheets won't fit the new mattress. A decent sheet set can easily cost $60+.
Yes, most new mattresses are either pillow top or quite thick, so look for "deep pocket" sheets........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #30

We also purchased one of the memory foam toppers from Costco and have had it for several years. It would be hard for me to imagine anything more comfortable.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That is the absolutely perfect level for me, too. My present bed is about knee level or below. When I sit on it my feet are flat on the floor, and my knees are several inches above my hip joints. That's too low for comfort, for me. Just looking online, it seems like a lot of beds these days are platform beds and I worry that they might be too low for me. If one was high enough, then maybe I could skip the box springs too.

When I decide to start looking for mattresses and a new bed, I'll measure both at stores using the handy-dandy 6-ft tape measure that I always keep with me in my purse.
The platform bed we bought has drawers under the bed... great idea where we can store extra blankets, sheet and pillows... I even got some of my pants in one on my side.. this makes the platform higher than most.. and the mattress is also pretty thick...
Old 01-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #32

As I said earlier, we have our TempurPedic on the floor. I just measured the "box spring" and mattress. Both are 10" so the overall bed height is around 22" with mattress cover, sheets, electric blanket, and quilt. That's a comfortable height for us.

There is one major drawback to having a TempurPedic. These mattresses really spoil you. The first thing my spouse always says when we get back home from a trip is "Thank goodness we're home so we get to sleep in our own bed!"
Old 01-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #33

How thick of a mattress did you buy? Seems like they go from 8" to 13.5". Ultra Soft to Firm.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

We had a memory foam type and liked it fine. But we bought a very cheap mattress from hope industries (employs disabled) and put it in the guest room. Every guest raved about, so we put it on our bed and we love it.

Note that some mattress places have a 30 day trial period. Maybe you should try a cheap one.

The mattress industry is very corrupt.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The mattress industry is very corrupt.
We have purchased all our mattress sets from Original Mattress Factory (started by an ex-mattress exec who shares your opinion as do I) for the last 20 years. We would have to rent a truck to bring it back from the closest one which is in Kissimmee. Maybe not such a bad idea.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
How thick of a mattress did you buy? Seems like they go from 8" to 13.5". Ultra Soft to Firm.
This is reaching pretty far into the old memory bank. I think we bought either their bottom of the line product or one just up from it. The final cost for the two pieces was.....gasp......$2,000. And they "gave" us two foam-type pillows (not TempurPedic brand). It's the best money we've ever spent. We didn't bother to go price shopping. Billy Bob's Beds (love that name!) was near us and we got free delivery.

The lighter weight person no longer rolls over to the heavier person (or hangs off the side of bed in hopes of not rolling towards the middle of the bed). Either one of us can get up at any time and not wake the other person. Pillow-top deep pocket sheets and mattress protectors fit it nicely. There are no permanent body indendations after all this time. It's just as comfortable as the day we bought it.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all of the reponses to my original post. The I-Comfort bed we are looking at has only been out for about 9 months. They are generally about $1,000 less than the Tempur Pedic brand. I've laid on both of them for at least 15 minutes each in several stores and connot tell much difference. Though even the same brand in different stores felt different.

My biggest concern is that they seem quite firm. I am told they will get softer after about 30 days in the home. My wife wants two things in a new bed - one that feels softer (we started looking at pillow top mattresses), and one where she can't feel me moving around in the bed (the memory foam sure fixes that). We recently went on a Holland cruise and their pillow top matresses were extremely comfortable.

As far as height is concerned, most of these mattresses seem to be about 12 inches thick and the bases come in either 5 inch or 9 inch heights. Add to that whatever kind of stand you would use for you bed.

It just shouldn't be this hard to pick a bed.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Our tempurpedics were purchased with their own "boxsprings". Yes, they cost an arm and a leg but both DH and I think it was money well spent. When we purchased the king-size set we got two tempurpedic pillows and a set of sheets as well. Since we didn't need the sheets (already had three sets) we were given the option of a gift certificate at Best Buy which we appreciated. The queen-size set was actually a "used" set since our son and daughter-in-law had purchased it but decided to upgrade to a king-size bed.
Years ago we purchased a fairly expensive name-brand bed and within a few months Dh just didn't like it. Since we were within the time frame of returning it we did and upgraded to another one from the same store. Wouldn't ya know he didn't like that one either. Once more we upgraded yet again. (I have to say I was getting real tired of this) Then we purchased the first tempurpedic and eventually the second one. He is now a happy camper.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Be sure to get one with space for your cash.

An old post of mine:

Best New Mattress
Old 01-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #40

All through these threads I haven't heard one person mention they had Sleep Number bed. You know, the one where you can control the firmness on each side. We've had ours about 12 years and love it. Not to say there isn't something better out there, but I guess it's what you get used to and live with. I like the Sleep Number but might consider another type if this thing ever wears out.