Mattress Recommendations

As someone who likes the room cold at night, my concern is a foam mattress will throw back too much heat.

We bought a memory foam at the Dump and love it... we did pay extra for the one that allows heat to be channeled... no problem with heat..

As mentioned by some, check the height of the bed... we had bought a new bed and the guy also sold us box springs... when it was delivered you had to crawl UP into bed... it took me awhile, but they took back the box springs and gave me all my money back... (rant... the guy who sold us them flat out lied when we talked to the manager... he said he told us NOT to buy them but we insisted).. now it is at butt level, so it is easy to get in and out...

That is the absolutely perfect level for me, too. My present bed is about knee level or below. When I sit on it my feet are flat on the floor, and my knees are several inches above my hip joints. That's too low for comfort, for me. Just looking online, it seems like a lot of beds these days are platform beds and I worry that they might be too low for me. If one was high enough, then maybe I could skip the box springs too.

When I decide to start looking for mattresses and a new bed, I'll measure both at stores using the handy-dandy 6-ft tape measure that I always keep with me in my purse.

We bought one of the better quality mattress covers from Wal-Mart. You could always put a large beach towel between the mattress and the mattress cover if you're still too warm. Lay it horizontally across the bed where your torso goes. We love our TempurPedic!
Ok...thanks. :) When we bought our mattress and platform box, they threw in a free TP liner. It's water-proof which is a good thing since when folks get older they have a tendency to spill their champagne more easily. :angel: I have tried the towel and that works pretty well. I'll continue to do so.

One thing folks need to remember about the TP mattress is when you try it out in the store, be ready for it to feel differently when you have one delivered. Your new one won't be as cushy since it hasn't been rolled around on by people. You'll need to walk around on it to soften it up a bit. I remember I did that and it was exhausting. I got quite the workout. :LOL:

Last edited:
"Old lady" observation about bedroom sets. Many of today's mattress setups result in a bed that you need a step ladder to climb on. Before you buy a box spring determine how high you want your bed to be. Also, take a look at your fitted sheets. You may find that your sheets won't fit the new mattress. A decent sheet set can easily cost $60+.

Yes, most new mattresses are either pillow top or quite thick, so look for "deep pocket" sheets........;)

We also purchased one of the memory foam toppers from Costco and have had it for several years. It would be hard for me to imagine anything more comfortable.

That is the absolutely perfect level for me, too. My present bed is about knee level or below. When I sit on it my feet are flat on the floor, and my knees are several inches above my hip joints. That's too low for comfort, for me. Just looking online, it seems like a lot of beds these days are platform beds and I worry that they might be too low for me. If one was high enough, then maybe I could skip the box springs too.

When I decide to start looking for mattresses and a new bed, I'll measure both at stores using the handy-dandy 6-ft tape measure that I always keep with me in my purse.

The platform bed we bought has drawers under the bed... great idea where we can store extra blankets, sheet and pillows... I even got some of my pants in one on my side.. this makes the platform higher than most.. and the mattress is also pretty thick...

Reactions: W2R
As I said earlier, we have our TempurPedic on the floor. I just measured the "box spring" and mattress. Both are 10" so the overall bed height is around 22" with mattress cover, sheets, electric blanket, and quilt. That's a comfortable height for us.

There is one major drawback to having a TempurPedic. These mattresses really spoil you. The first thing my spouse always says when we get back home from a trip is "Thank goodness we're home so we get to sleep in our own bed!"

Reactions: W2R
How thick of a mattress did you buy? Seems like they go from 8" to 13.5". Ultra Soft to Firm.

Last edited:
We had a memory foam type and liked it fine. But we bought a very cheap mattress from hope industries (employs disabled) and put it in the guest room. Every guest raved about, so we put it on our bed and we love it.

Note that some mattress places have a 30 day trial period. Maybe you should try a cheap one.

The mattress industry is very corrupt.

The mattress industry is very corrupt.

We have purchased all our mattress sets from Original Mattress Factory (started by an ex-mattress exec who shares your opinion as do I) for the last 20 years. We would have to rent a truck to bring it back from the closest one which is in Kissimmee. Maybe not such a bad idea.

How thick of a mattress did you buy? Seems like they go from 8" to 13.5". Ultra Soft to Firm.
This is reaching pretty far into the old memory bank. I think we bought either their bottom of the line product or one just up from it. The final cost for the two pieces was.....gasp......$2,000. And they "gave" us two foam-type pillows (not TempurPedic brand). It's the best money we've ever spent. We didn't bother to go price shopping. Billy Bob's Beds (love that name!) was near us and we got free delivery.

The lighter weight person no longer rolls over to the heavier person (or hangs off the side of bed in hopes of not rolling towards the middle of the bed). Either one of us can get up at any time and not wake the other person. [-]Pillow-top[/-] deep pocket sheets and mattress protectors fit it nicely. There are no permanent body indendations after all this time. It's just as comfortable as the day we bought it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the reponses to my original post. The I-Comfort bed we are looking at has only been out for about 9 months. They are generally about $1,000 less than the Tempur Pedic brand. I've laid on both of them for at least 15 minutes each in several stores and connot tell much difference. Though even the same brand in different stores felt different.

My biggest concern is that they seem quite firm. I am told they will get softer after about 30 days in the home. My wife wants two things in a new bed - one that feels softer (we started looking at pillow top mattresses), and one where she can't feel me moving around in the bed (the memory foam sure fixes that). We recently went on a Holland cruise and their pillow top matresses were extremely comfortable.

As far as height is concerned, most of these mattresses seem to be about 12 inches thick and the bases come in either 5 inch or 9 inch heights. Add to that whatever kind of stand you would use for you bed.

It just shouldn't be this hard to pick a bed.;)

Our tempurpedics were purchased with their own "boxsprings". Yes, they cost an arm and a leg but both DH and I think it was money well spent. When we purchased the king-size set we got two tempurpedic pillows and a set of sheets as well. Since we didn't need the sheets (already had three sets) we were given the option of a gift certificate at Best Buy which we appreciated. The queen-size set was actually a "used" set since our son and daughter-in-law had purchased it but decided to upgrade to a king-size bed.
Years ago we purchased a fairly expensive name-brand bed and within a few months Dh just didn't like it. Since we were within the time frame of returning it we did and upgraded to another one from the same store. Wouldn't ya know he didn't like that one either. Once more we upgraded yet again. (I have to say I was getting real tired of this) Then we purchased the first tempurpedic and eventually the second one. He is now a happy camper.

All through these threads I haven't heard one person mention they had Sleep Number bed. You know, the one where you can control the firmness on each side. We've had ours about 12 years and love it. Not to say there isn't something better out there, but I guess it's what you get used to and live with. I like the Sleep Number but might consider another type if this thing ever wears out.

We have a queen size bed, and when staying in a hotel that has king size, we are amazed at how much bigger the kings are. Very suitable for group sex:LOL:

I purchased a middle-of-the-road Stearns and Foster mattress (King) approximately four years ago and we sleep absolutely wonderfully on it. For what it's worth, I'd highly recommend the Stearns and Foster brand.

As another person said in a previous comment, I'd also recommend getting the protective mattress cover as well - the last thing you want to do is completely ruin a ~$2,000 investment when your dog decides to pee on the bed!

As for the tempurpedic mattresses, they really weren't my thing. The models I tried left divots that I had a hard time rolling out of (and I'm only 150lbs)...and being able to roll around on my bed comfortably is priority number one :cool:.

As for the tempurpedic mattresses, they really weren't my thing. The models I tried left divots that I had a hard time rolling out of (and I'm only 150lbs)...and being able to roll around on my bed comfortably is priority number one :cool:.

This is a concern for me as well. Even when I am sleeping alone I love to roll around a lot on my king sized bed, and this helps me to unwind. I don't think I would enjoy sleeping if the mattress cut back on my rolling.

With interest rates so low, I am surprised that nobody has mentioned using cash to fill a mattress. I would think it would provide some piece of mind to have a goodly supply of cash if the whole world goes to hell and hand basket (never figured out the origins of this phrase.). I would think cash would be firm yet pretty soft and so would a pretty could material for sleeping on.

With interest rates so low, I am surprised that nobody has mentioned using cash to fill a mattress. I would think it would provide some piece of mind to have a goodly supply of cash if the whole world goes to hell and hand basket (never figured out the origins of this phrase.). I would think cash would be firm yet pretty soft and so would a pretty could material for sleeping on.

It is going to hell in a handbasket.... see link...

Going to hell in a handbasket

But, money that is stacked nicely is pretty hard... heck, the bricks that come from the Treasury are VERY hard... I guess you can wad them up a bit, but then you can not store enough :greetings10:

PS... I did get the joke... just wanted to make a comment :flowers:

This is a concern for me as well. Even when I am sleeping alone I love to roll around a lot on my king sized bed, and this helps me to unwind. I don't think I would enjoy sleeping if the mattress cut back on my rolling.

Tempurpedic will definitely cut down on your rolling, but I don't think you'll notice because you will fall asleep much faster. You also wont notice if your partner rolls around at all. I stood an iPhone on its side on the mattress and had my son jump on the bed the phone didn't move.

I keep hearing about heat retention. I swear Ive never noticed it even here in Texas. Ive never felt like I needed to move to a cool spot.

Also, our Tempurpedic is considerably lower than our old pillow top regular mattress. I do think it comes in different thicknesses though depending on how firm you want it. The thicker it is, the softer it is. Ours is very firm.

Back
Top Bottom