Join Early Retirement Today

Mattress Recommendations
Old 01-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Mattress Recommendations

I searched on this topic, but all posts were quite old. DW and I need a new mattress and have spent a couple of days in the mattress stores. We are leaning toward a Serta I-Comfort which is a memory foam mattress like TepurPedic, except it is engineered not to retain the body heat that Tempur Pedic ones do. The cost for a queen set was $2,000 but I've negotiated the price down to $1,800 with free pillows, protector and extended warranty.

For anyone that may have this type of memory foam mattress we would like opinions on the comfort, and if it was a problem switching from a conventional mattress. We also are considering a plush pillow top Stearns and Foster for about $500 less. You help is appreciated.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

We got a temperpedic knock off from an online company called AngelBeds. Seven years later we still love it. Firm yet squishy.
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #3

TempurPedic. Have had one for ten years and it's still the most comfortable mattress I've ever been on. Spouse and I were about 100 pounds apart at the time we bought it and heavier ruled the old mattress. We don't have that problem with the TempurPedic. Except for a slight rustle of the covers neither one of us would ever know when there's a midnight trip to the.... well, that's probably just too much information.

We have a mattress cover on the TempurPedic and that controls the heat factor for us. I would never have a mattress without a mattress cover.

I think I read somewhere that bedbugs can't get in the TempurPedic material. I'm sure someone will correct me if that statement is in error.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

We've had a top of the line Stearns & Foster extra firm queen size (non-plush pillow top) for about 15 years and it's still going strong. Back then it was ~$900 for the mattress and box spring.
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We purchased a latex foam mattress from Costco recently. We are happy with it and knew if we didn't like it we could take it back. I am delighted that it worked out for us because that puppy is heavy!
Old 01-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here's where you can read topics and ask questions:
Mattress Forum

We are extremely happy with our Spring Air Latex mattress (comfortable and breathable and does not get "hot spots"). But I confess I would love to have this latex mattress setup on the adjustable foundation:
Costco - Nature's Caress
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #7

If you purchase a mattress similar to a TempurPedic, and have even a remote idea you're ever going to move, keep the box even if you have to collapse it and store it against the garage wall.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Here's where you can read topics and ask questions:
Mattress Forum

We are extremely happy with our Spring Air Latex mattress (comfortable and breathable and does not get "hot spots"). But I confess I would love to have this latex mattress setup on the adjustable foundation:
Costco - Nature's Caress

We recently got a Serta latex foam mattress. We liked it better than the Tempurpedic in the store and are quite happy with it. Actually what we have is two twins on a king frame - this reduces the jostling when one of us is tossing and turning.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

We have two tempurpedics (king in master, queen in spareroom) and like them alot. I do find them a little warmer than a conventional mattress but not a major concern.
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #10

We have a Tempurpedic and I cant imagine ever sleeping on anything else again. We had bought 3 different pretty expensive "normal" mattresses and every one of them got 2 distinct ditches in the spot where we laid on it. Each of them was under warranty and was exchanged for a new one until we finally paid the extra for the Tempurpedic. Its as flat as they day we bought it. We live in Texas and have never noticed any heat retention that we had read about. It does get much firmer in the winter time though.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #11

I recently bought two queen-size latex foam mattresses by Englander, and we love them. I found the memory foam to be like sleeping on a brick, even after lying on the different models at the store for extended periods. The salesfolks were starting to wonder if I though their store was a hotel.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #12

We bought the Novaform Gel w/20yr warranty from Costco on sale for $400 this past year. We were using a Novaform memory foam topper on a Somma tube waterbed that was housed in a regular foam mattress for the past couple of years. We thought it would be very similar in feel since this was the same company. DW and I had back pain from it for the first week and we seriously considered returning it. Decided to put the memory topper on the new bed to help us transition. After two weeks of this, we were able to use the new bed w/o the topper. After our bodies adjusted to the firmness, we're both very happy. Looking back, I'm sure the pain we experienced was adjusting from our old bed getting worn down and too soft due to age even though we had replaced the memory foam topper recently.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #13

We've had. TempurPedic for about 10 years; wouldn't sleep on anything else given a choice.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #14
Administrator

We've had a tempurpedic for about 10 years and love it. When in England last year for 7 months we bought a much cheaper memory foam mattress and it was also fantastic.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
<snip>

We have a mattress cover on the TempurPedic and that controls the heat factor for us. I would never have a mattress without a mattress cover.
What type of mattress cover is it?

We have a TempurPedic and love it as well. We do have a cover on it, but it doesn't help too much in regards to controlling the heat.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

So, all you Tempurpedic owners: tell us more about the Tempurpedic. Does it come with its own box spring, or is it supposed to go directly onto a platform bed? I have never seen one. I guess I need to find a showroom that has one, and try it out.

Any ideas on how to get a good price on a Tempurpedic mattress? I know they cost an arm and a leg.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So, all you Tempurpedic owners: tell us more about the Tempurpedic. Does it come with its own box spring, or is it supposed to go directly onto a platform bed? I have never seen one. I guess I need to find a showroom that has one, and try it out.

Any ideas on how to get a good price on a Tempurpedic mattress? I know they cost an arm and a leg.
We purchased the mattress and the 'box' it is placed on. Everything fit fine on our bed railings/frame.

We bought one at a local store...just in case we had any problems.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
We purchased the mattress and the 'box' it is placed on. Everything fit fine on our bed railings/frame.

We bought one at a local store...just in case we had any problems.
Thanks! That is much simpler than I thought. I'm especially glad to hear that it would fit in a regular bed frame. I need to buy a new bedroom set anyway, but it sounds like I won't have to buy something special for it. I'll just try one out at a local store, then.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

"Old lady" observation about bedroom sets. Many of today's mattress setups result in a bed that you need a step ladder to climb on. Before you buy a box spring determine how high you want your bed to be. Also, take a look at your fitted sheets. You may find that your sheets won't fit the new mattress. A decent sheet set can easily cost $60+.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

That's a good point, Brat. I am planning to buy a new bedroom set and a new mattress. Being taller than most women, I find that most beds are just too low for me and hard on my joints to get out of, almost as though I was lying on the floor. So, I usually like the tall beds better. Either way, height is indeed important! But then as you point out, mattresses and box springs are different in thickness as well, so it may be hard to figure out how high a bed really is from the display in a store.

Replacing sheets would be pretty expensive too.

I'm also not sure that I would even like a memory foam mattress. It might just feel weird. Maybe if I tried a memory foam topper first I would have more of an idea.