Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Maui
Old 08-20-2006, 01:24 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
I recognise that I would have to go somewhere less challenging to learn to surf in the winter*
Me too-- it's hard to have fun surfing when you're wearing a helmet...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2006, 04:27 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
White tips can be VERY agressive. It is unusual that they are but it happens.
I liken them to gangbangin' teens "in the hood".
Thanks for the warning. If I see them in a group I'll be sure to offer them a beer (or fish).

Quote:
I recognise that I would have to go somewhere less challenging to learn to surf in the winter
The Cove in Kihei is a perfect beginner surf spot. It has shallow water and small waves. I think you can even rent a board at the beach. It's just north of the Punahoa. Charlie Young Beach is the north end of Kama'ole I.

We shop at Costco for bulk items. Mana Foods in Paia is an excellent natural foods store with very reasonable prices. 'Down to Earth' in Kahului has good food but is more expensive than Mana (across the street from Border Books on the right coming from the airport.) 'Cash and Carry' in Kahului is also good. (It's in the industrial/port area behind the Kanaha Pond on Alama Pl.). The smaller general stores are often a good bet for local fish, meats, and produce. Longs Drug in Kahului's Maui Mall for wine and sunscreen. All these stores (except Mana) are less than 5 minutes from the airport. Mana is 10-15 minutes out of the way. Stop for a walk on Baldwin Beach on the way there, and grab lunch at the Paia Fish Market.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:18 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo-aloha
White tips can be VERY agressive. It is unusual that they are but it happens.
Why didn't you tell me before I ran into this guy in the Galapagos -- I had to chase him to get the shot:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1365S.JPG (41.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 1365S.JPG (41.3 KB, 46 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb 1365S.JPG_thumb (26.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg_thumb 1365S.JPG_thumb (26.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-21-2006, 01:13 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I'm in Central Oahu (Mililani).* It's about 45 minutes from Queen's Beach (Waikiki), 45 minutes from Haleiwa Ali`i (North Shore), and 20 minutes from White Plains (Kalealoa near Kapolei).* Everything else is only a few minutes farther, but I haven't worn out these waves yet...

Basic surfing can be learned in an hour or two.* All it takes is the ability to swim (in case you get separated from your board) and being able to stand up from lying flat.* Any water skills or shoulder muscles are a bonus that'll reduce the learning time to minutes.* An 11-foot longboard is big & stable enough that even balance is optional.* If the first hour goes well, by the second hour you'll be paddling into your own waves and turning.

With your snowboard/windsurf background you'll have no trouble standing & turning.* In fact the biggest challenge will be developing paddling muscles to stay out for more than an hour or two, but in 2-4 foot waves even that's not much of an issue.

Anyone who makes it out here is welcome to contact me for a free lesson!* White Plains Beach is easiest for everyone (except for the 45-minute drive from Waikiki) and the least crowded but I'll go wherever the surf is.* I enjoy teaching and every time I teach someone I get a little better at my own surfing, so I'm happy to do it.*

Best south shore surf is May-Nov, but that just means that it's easier to find four-foot waves.* Even in January there's something to paddle out for, although I do whimper & snivel a lot in that bitter-cold 73-degree water...
Nords,

Any place in Oahu that you recommend going to what about the Cultural Center if so is it better during the day or at night?

Kathyet

Old 08-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Other Oahu activities

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyet
Any place in Oahu that you recommend going to what about the Cultural Center if so is it better during the day or at night?
Well, if you've never been to Oahu before then state law requires you to spend a week in Waikiki. (Just kidding.) I recommend you plan your vacation from the "101 Things To Do" guide. After you've worked through that list, let me know if you have questions!

Luckily we state residents are no longer required to attend annual luau in order to be able to renew our driver's licenses (more kidding). However I'll go months or even years between visiting some places. Last month my nephew the Army Ranger spent four weeks at Schofield Barracks for his USMA summer training. During his liberty hours we did the Arizona Memorial, the USS BOWFIN Submarine Memorial (greatly expanded since my last visit), the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet, and five days of surfing (including an evening of 12-footers). Those were all great. We never made it to the Diamond Head hike, the Dillingham Airfield parachute business, the USS MISSOURI Memorial, or diving/snorkeling the North Shore. (Next year!) He also spent a lot of quality time crawling through Waianae mountain mud and managed to get bitten twice by centipedes, but he said they were yummy.

As for the Polynesian Cultural Center, "it's all good". If you're traveling with kids then you'll open the place in the morning, take a couple hours off for afternoon naps (maybe the kids will sleep too), and go back for the evening luau. If you're lucky enough to be in the Islands for a major cultural event (like the annual Fire Knife Competition then you're in for a real treat-- if you can get tickets. (The front row seats are really cheap.) Hula and fire knife skills are celebrated here like high-school football is celebrated in Texas. When you visit PCC in the morning you'll see all the demonstrations (and participate in some of them) and when you go later in the day you'll see the bigger events, culminating in the luau. You could easily spend one entire day there and come back for another evening.

PCC employs citizens of all the Pacific Islands, many of whom who pay their UH tuition by sharing their culture. I remember thinking "Nice tats, dude" when I saw one Tongan there a few years back, only to learn that he's young Tongan royalty who'd been ritually tattooed for the position that he'd eventually inherit. They'd do a square foot or two, let him recover for a few weeks, and start in somewhere else-- it took almost a year. If he didn't die during the process then he was considered qualified for the royal duties.

If you're interested in more Hawaiian culture then I'd recommend a day at the Bishop Museum and another day at Waipahu's Plantation Village. I think Wednesday morning is Bishop's day for craft demonstrations but that program swells & subsides with its kupuna volunteers. Check the Village's hours before you go-- it's mostly volunteers. Some of the community cultural centers (like the Filipino or the Japanese or the Okinawan) will also celebrate events throughout the year. They're usually listed in the "This Week On Oahu" calendar or other guides at the airport & in hotel lobbies.

Personally I think there's enough on Oahu to keep you running for two weeks. However if you're here for longer than a week then some visitors also add a neighbor island.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:19 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Well, if you've never been to Oahu before then state law requires you to spend a week in Waikiki.* (Just kidding.)* I recommend you plan your vacation from the "101 Things To Do" guide.* After you've worked through that list, let me know if you have questions!

Luckily we state residents are no longer required to attend annual luau in order to be able to renew our driver's licenses (more kidding).* However I'll go months or even years between visiting some places.* Last month my nephew the Army Ranger spent four weeks at Schofield Barracks for his USMA summer training.* During his liberty hours we did the Arizona Memorial, the USS BOWFIN Submarine Memorial (greatly expanded since my last visit), the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet, and five days of surfing (including an evening of 12-footers).* Those were all great.* We never made it to the Diamond Head hike, the Dillingham Airfield parachute business, the USS MISSOURI Memorial, or diving/snorkeling the North Shore.* (Next year!)* He also spent a lot of quality time crawling through Waianae mountain mud and managed to get bitten twice by centipedes, but he said they were yummy.*

As for the Polynesian Cultural Center, "it's all good".* If you're traveling with kids then you'll open the place in the morning, take a couple hours off for afternoon naps (maybe the kids will sleep too), and go back for the evening luau.* If you're lucky enough to be in the Islands for a major cultural event (like the annual Fire Knife Competition then you're in for a real treat-- if you can get tickets.* (The front row seats are really cheap.)* Hula and fire knife skills are celebrated here like high-school football is celebrated in Texas.* When you visit PCC in the morning you'll see all the demonstrations (and participate in some of them) and when you go later in the day you'll see the bigger events, culminating in the luau.* You could easily spend one entire day there and come back for another evening.

PCC employs citizens of all the Pacific Islands, many of whom who pay their UH tuition by sharing their culture.* I remember thinking "Nice tats, dude" when I saw one Tongan there a few years back, only to learn that he's young Tongan royalty who'd been ritually tattooed for the position that he'd eventually inherit.* They'd do a square foot or two, let him recover for a few weeks, and start in somewhere else-- it took almost a year.* If he didn't die during the process then he was considered qualified for the royal duties.

If you're interested in more Hawaiian culture then I'd recommend a day at the Bishop Museum and another day at Waipahu's Plantation Village.* I think Wednesday morning is Bishop's day for craft demonstrations but that program swells & subsides with its kupuna volunteers.* Check the Village's hours before you go-- it's mostly volunteers.* Some of the community cultural centers (like the Filipino or the Japanese or the Okinawan) will also celebrate events throughout the year.* They're usually listed in the "This Week On Oahu" calendar or other guides at the airport & in hotel lobbies.

Personally I think there's enough on Oahu to keep you running for two weeks.* However if you're here for longer than a week then some visitors also add a neighbor island.
Thanks for the links Nords, we will be there for 5 days and in Maui for 9 days. Booked marked the two sites and will have plenty of time to check them out were not going till April. Never been to Oahu except to the airport, so were looking forward to it. Were staying on Waikiki Beach and will have a rent a car and I am so looking forward to seeing it all, we will explore Oahu from one end to other and in between.

Thanks Again

Kathyet
Old 08-22-2006, 12:26 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyet
Thanks for the links Nords, we will be there for 5 days and in Maui for 9 days. Booked marked the two sites and will have plenty of time to check them out were not going till April.* Never been to Oahu except to the airport, so were looking forward to it. Were staying on Waikiki Beach and will have a rent a car and I am so looking forward to seeing it all, we will explore Oahu from one end to other and in between.* *
Happy to help... you're coming during one of the best-weather months of the year! Let me know if you have more questions.