Join Early Retirement Today

Max Gross Weight Take Off
Old 12-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Max Gross Weight Take Off

This is an Russian IL 76 taking off. Note how much runway is left at lift off. Looks like he actually lifts off in the over-run. Wonder what it smelled like in the cockpit after this take off!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

C'mon Rustic. If you weren't supposed to use it, why did they pave it?

In case you missed it: Pilot Philosophy

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I guess the pilot wanted to experience all 3 in the day time.....
Old 12-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #4

Wahoo
Remember the three most worthless things to a pilot:

1: The runway behind him
2: The airspace above him
3: A field grade navigator!
Old 12-30-2008, 05:40 PM   #5

You gota say ... The vodka burner's captain must have had immeasurable confidence in his machine! Hope he cleared those mountains.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
You gota say ... The vodka burner's captain must have had immeasurable confidence in his machine!
As the last of the runway disappeared from view under his nose I'm betting he was screaming (in Russian, of course), "Fly you pig, FLY!!!"

Old 12-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #7

I have used all the runway more than once, but we had flying speed, we forced it on the ground so we would have better single engine control speed when we pulled it off. However on a small island in the pacific there was 5,000 ft of runway, no over-run, and the takeoff dist was 5,000 feet. We had 5 birds to get into the air. We all made it, but I was glad there was a cliff fall off at the end. Kind of like falling off the end of a carrier!
Old 12-30-2008, 05:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I have used all the runway more than once, but we had flying speed, we forced it on the ground so we would have better single engine control speed when we pulled it off.
In my world, "single engine flying speed" was an oxymoron.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #9

Well when you got four, an engine or two may not make much difference, but when you only have two, it could be a real OH Sh&T! Had a guy feather both props on takeoff! Lucky we were high enough for a quick air start!
Old 12-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

I actually flew in one of those IL-76, in 1994 in what was then Zaire (now called the Democratic Republic of Congo). That aircraft is cavernous, and the one I was in was even equipped with a crane, inside the plane. There were 2 rows of jump seats, against each side of the fuselage. Each seat had a red star painted on the back rest, so the plane must have been in use with the Soviet army of air force at one time.
I felt funny sitting in those seats, esp. since I am a refugee from Communism (I fled South Vietnam in 1980).
Old 12-30-2008, 07:16 PM   #11
Administrator

That's one honkin' big plane.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:14 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
C'mon Rustic. If you weren't supposed to use it, why did they pave it?
Does that philosophy also apply to mowing the grass beyond the pavement?

I dunno about you white-scarf guys, but in the submarine force (after the uniform change was completed [there's a reason they call 'em "poopie suits"]) there would've been one of those meetings led by the boss that started with the question "OK, guys, tell me again why it was necessary to do this?"*

*Also phrased as "OK, OOD, we'll put that reason in the mission report as long as there's no diplomatic protests-- but those periscope photos you claim you took better be in perfect $%^&in' focus!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:31 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow! He used every foot of that runway. I remember my student pilot days in the 1980s. Cessna 150, full fuel, myself + instructor. Maxed out on a hot summer day. I didn't think that little plane was ever going to get airborne. Once airborne, we had to circle to get enough altitude to clear the nearby hills. Rate of climb, 200 fpm. That poor little 100 hp Continental engine was really up against it.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:48 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
Wow! He used every foot of that runway. I remember my student pilot days in the 1980s. Cessna 150, full fuel, myself + instructor. Maxed out on a hot summer day. I didn't think that little plane was ever going to get airborne. Once airborne, we had to circle to get enough altitude to clear the nearby hills. Rate of climb, 200 fpm. That poor little 100 hp Continental engine was really up against it.

Even with a Cessna 150, in similar I never got close to using all the runway, although the 200 FPM, I definitely remember.

I guess the Russians don't have a JATO tubes like the Air Force use to use with C130 and such.