May appears to be the new April

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
46 degrees out there now, I think it might have been 43 when I woke up and walked the old pooch in the rain. There’s been maybe 3 days of sun in the last 11. The tomatoes are in the green house anxiously await planting but there’s another flood warning today. It rained last night too.

May appears to be the new April. - my belly yearns for some caprice salad. I am worried this is going to be a wash out summer- like last year. Also a very bad year for tomatoes for us.

I have the stove on in the front room its a toasty 71. Am I spoiled?

Nope not spoiled....42 here in my yard this morning in W. PA.......and raining most of morning...the pond down the hill from my house is over-bank full.....

Lawn is so wet it'll be June til I can mow it!!!

As I looked out this morning on the ultra green lawn and the lush Allegheny National Forest beyond my yard, I was thinking...

I wonder how long before we'll be saying......"It's SO DRY!!! We better get some rain or the gardens will be toast!!!!"

My thermostat is set on 72. It's COLD up here today!!!!

I fear summer will be about 15 minutes long this year too. And June 21 ( my FAVORITE day of the year-the longest daylight) is only a few weeks away and then the inexorable slide toward winter starts again.....

Well 85 degrees today but raining.

52 and rain in Columbus.
Rained 19 of last 20 days at home. No gardening done, only half of the lawn mowed as it's flooded in many places.
Going to head south when my puppy sitting duties are complete.

Here in coastal California the spring/summer months are often foggy. So much so that we have the terms June Gloom, May Gray and GrApril to describe them. It's been cold and gray more often than not for the last week or two.

beautiful day here in Boise, absolutely gorgeous!

Lows in the 30s and upper 60s for highs. Sunny today with a chance of rain for a couple day. After last year's drought it is very welcome as was the snow during winter. Some of the dry creeks are still running and the river is up. There's a lot of snow still on the peaks so it's not done yet.

Here in the Finger Lakes, wet, wetter, wettest. Not warm either. Windy sometimes as well.

I'm glad I snowbirded in Florida for 3 months. If I'd had to live through 3 months of NY State winter so I could be treated to 6 more weeks of cold rain, I'd be homicidal by now. As it is, I'm merely grumpy.

As it is, I'm merely grumpy.

We had a few 80 degree days to baste our appetites but then BAM rain. We had a couple of hours only overcast two day ago and i snuck in a mowing. I see three sunny days coming.

My babies in the greenhouse waiting for me
IMG_0038.jpg

Note the grass is coming but two grand canyons are forming where the pool once stood.. I’ll attack them when the rest of the grass is in heavy.. say in two weeks.

IMG_0039.jpg

This weather is simply awful..

Here in coastal California the spring/summer months are often foggy. So much so that we have the terms June Gloom, May Gray and GrApril to describe them. It's been cold and gray more often than not for the last week or two.

Yep, that is exactly why we are in Palm Springs now. So tired of overcast skies and cool temperatures! Today it was in the 90’s, sunny and beautiful in the desert.

43 and rain here in Boston today. We haven't had two days in a row without rain in about 6 weeks now; rainiest April on record. Not expecting a rain-free day until the coming weekend.

Rain is one thing but it is 'so wicked cold!' as we say here. Our heat is still on and we're still using our electric blankets!

As it was last year, it seems that we came back from FL two months too early.

Boats to be launched, flowers to be planted, painting to be done, etc etc...nothing happening. Hurry up and wait. We're now looking at a 3 month boating season.

I actually brought some firewood in, and started the woodstove on Sunday, and yesterday, because the house was in the low 60s. Outside temps never eclipsed 50*, with a strong North wind off of lake Erie.

I still haven't fully mowed all parts of my yard yet. Being in the country, we have a mud pit, that doesn't dry out quickly.

Only a chance of a passing shower today but its 48 and terribly wet out there. Three more days then it looks like 70s after that. 2 days sun, two days rain. I noted the Stoves were on this morning when the old pooch scratched at 3:30AM. Fell asleep in back room and was awoken by the stove crackling (heat expansion). The house holds heat well but it never got above the low 50s outside yesterday.

The heats going to arrive and bam ill be missing spring... nah.

Last edited:
If only May were the new September

I fear summer will be about 15 minutes long this year too. And June 21 ( my FAVORITE day of the year-the longest daylight) is only a few weeks away and then the inexorable slide toward winter starts again.....

This would have been my nightmare when I was a kid. I loved everything about summer: school was out, swimming pools were open, family vacation trips, late sunsets, warm weather... it was the perfect season.

No more. I've long since been out of school, and there are no three-month holidays at the sweatshop.

All the swimming pools are jammed with kids these days, splashing and squealing and scampering underfoot so you can't actually do any swimming. Could it possibly have been equally chaotic back in 1970, only I didn't notice?

When I was a child, my parents handled everything about our family vacations. All I had to do was remember to pack some comic books for the long drive. But after I became a father and had to handle all the vacation details - including the inevitable visits to remote emergency rooms for casts and stitches - travel degraded from fun into nuisance.

Don't get me started on Daylight Savings Time.

And as for the warm summer days, something in my metabolism changed at age 35 and now I find hot weather debilitating. You'd think it would be more welcome than ever, now that I'm old enough to quench my thirst with beer! But no, I merely endure it, hoping desperately for fall to come soon and break the heat. Summer: phooey!

If I had Aladdin's lamp, I'd wish for 11 months of autumn.

Here in Florida there are many retirees in my area that love the heat. My next door neighbor said their old bones cannot take the cold weather up North anymore. Its 85-90 degrees this week with the occasional downpours.

Mdlerth:

“And as for the warm summer days, something in my metabolism changed at age 35 and now I find hot weather debilitating. “

I find i am less tolerant of extremes.. I am uncomfortable below 45 and above 90.

Last edited:
I can tolerate cold much better than heat.

Here in Florida there are many retirees in my area that love the heat. My next door neighbor said their old bones cannot take the cold weather up North anymore. Its 85-90 degrees this week with the occasional downpours.

The DGF and I are 58/59 y.o. and feel the same way about the heat. We love it and would never move back to colder places.

Yesterday's high was 83F, and low was 70F.

It's been brightly sunny and just gorgeous outside now that the thunderstorm that we had over the weekend has moved out of the area.

I love May in New Orleans; it's second only to October IMO.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 54
We had record breaking heat/sun last week and the AC was on. Now cool and rainy, I switched the heat on this morning!
I just want my cooler, sunny spring high 60's-low 70's, no AC or heat needed, just open the windows for fresh air!!
Roses, Irises and lavender are starting to bloom, just planted tomatoes and summer flowers.Hopefully they don't get flooded out this week

I can tolerate cold much better than heat.

I have noticed the older I get, the reverse is true for me, My fingers get numb in 50* weather, and I can't seem to warm back up after being outside for a period.

I'm really looking forward to opening up the pool again, and being barefoot, and barely clothed for a few months....grilling dinner on the back porch, and camping/drinking with friends. Fall is my favorite, but Summer is a close second.

Back
Top Bottom