Join Early Retirement Today

May Night Salvia
Old 05-07-2019, 07:39 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

May Night Salvia

Here is a gardening question for you fellow gardeners out there. I planted a border of meadow sage a few years back and they were spectacular for a while. This year they have barely sprouted so far. I live in NW Indiana and am wondering if the recently harsh winter or cool wet spring has had an effect on them. I'm thinking should I be patient or should I just dig them up and put in new plants.

ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No help here... not a plant person...

But... the cruel winter... We've had six different species annual shrubs in the front of our home, for that past 15 years. Always came back perfectly, always healthy. This past winter has killed half of them. All of the Villas in our CCRC have the same problem as they were all built by the same builder, over a period of three years.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:10 PM   #3

Be patience. Salvia like the heat. You didn't say if you pruned them back, usually recommended to do it in the Spring.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
No help here... not a plant person...

But... the cruel winter... We've had six different species annual shrubs in the front of our home, for that past 15 years. Always came back perfectly, always healthy. This past winter has killed half of them. All of the Villas in our CCRC have the same problem as they were all built by the same builder, over a period of three years.
Here in Michigan too. We lost some of our hollyís and some boxwoods. We had a couple weeks of some pretty cold weather and I think thatís the culprit. Iím going to give them some more time. With the wet spring weíve had, if they donít show signs of life around June when itís a little warmer, Iíll dig them up.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:24 PM   #5

I apparently lost many things this past winter, the saddest are the 15 year old azaleas. This year they're just stick bushes with a few green leaves and maybe five blooms between the four of them. I also had some Artemesia, which didn't make it at all. I'm blaming the horrible, long winter.

I do have some annual Salvia planted this year, and they're struggling with the cool wet spring. I'm not a patient gardener, so I might be inclined to replace your perennial variety. Sad to lose such a nice plant.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:28 PM   #6

I grow around 20 different Salvias, mostly CA, TX and AZ hot weather types. I live in the mountains and some of my SoCal sages die back to the roots in winter. Some Salvias need warn night time temps to break dormancy.

SoCal sages.jpg

Salvia apiana in the foreground, and S. clevelandii in the background.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Be patience. Salvia like the heat. You didn't say if you pruned them back, usually recommended to do it in the Spring.
Yeah, I did prune them to the ground in late fall. I guess I should have pruned them in the spring as I was just told by another fellow gardener that they store up energy in their stalks during the winter....Is this correct?....Anyway this is the 6th season for them so they have become a little woody and perhaps have run their course. Any thoughts on this Splitwdw? Thanks.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

First read of the title had me thinking you were drooling at night.
jimandthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandthom View Post
Me too! I thought the title was "Late night saliva"
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandthom View Post
Your avatar looks like the dog that pees on everybody's lawn.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Your avatar looks like the dog that pees on everybody's lawn.
Maybe it will improve the salvia. My lawn always seems to respond to the fertilizer (except for the center dead spot.)

But seriously, here in NC, we have a type of salvia I'm not familiar with. I think the near rainforest atmosphere doesn't agree too well with most salvias.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote