Join Early Retirement Today

Maybe I'm paranoid....
Old 08-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe I'm paranoid....

but I need to ask... does it ever bother you when you see that there are 300-400 "guests" online here reading or lurking? Sometimes I start an answer with some possibly semi-identifying info like my city or type of work and then I see the number of guests and delete it. Or I think of posting a pic, even of my pets, and then delete it. I guess it's the introvert in me.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #2

I lurked for years (five?) before I joined and posted. So I'm not surprised that so many lurk.

I told myself I wouldn't join and post until I FIREd. So it served as some incentive for me to reach my goal.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #3

A little paranoia is a good thing. A scotch is a good thing. A beer is a good thing..............You can have too much of any good thing.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:43 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It would bother me if I didn't keep my personal info somewhat vague. Plus none of us use our real names.

Of course, 'privacy' in the age of the internet is a joke, but why make it easier for anybody?

Thought of the day: what if the government required us to report our associations, churches, names of all our friends, where/when we go on vacation, what politics we support?....yet on Facebook, people give that information freely!
Old 08-11-2012, 06:19 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
It would bother me if I didn't keep my personal info somewhat vague. Plus none of us use our real names.

Of course, 'privacy' in the age of the internet is a joke, but why make it easier for anybody?

Thought of the day: what if the government required us to report our associations, churches, names of all our friends, where/when we go on vacation, what politics we support?....yet on Facebook, people give that information freely!
Ain't that the truth. I'm not paranoid about using a forum like this, but I have no desire to participate on something like Facebook. Or at least to the extent some people use it.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I am not prone to hissy-fits, but I hit the ceiling when a relative, who's the self-elected "family hub" of our large extended family, started a "family" site on FB - and encouraged someone to post a "family tree" containing the full names, maiden names, date and place of birth, childhood nicknames, names and birthdates of all children, and (naturally) mother's maiden names of living family members. Including me. Without permission.

I insisted the document be deleted from the site; and I can't find any evidence of it by using a search engine; but once stuff is out there, it's out there.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #7

Yes, I see what you mean about FB! I have an account but keep everything set to private. I only have a very few friends. No one can find me by the search feature unless you are already a friend.

Amethyst, I would have a fit, too!
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Ally, you bring up an interesting question about guests. When I went to this thread there were only 4 guests and 5 regulars online here. If one does not login they see an awful lot of advertising on this site. There are even Google ads inserted into some of the individual posts. So I cannot imagine why someone would remain outside for long just lurking.

There are millions of honest internet users out there. And a few with bad intentions.

It is wise to not mention too many money based personal details here.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you” ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

In a concurrent thread, we have been discussing how this forum has a high concentration of INTJ types. I reported my finding that Ted Kaczynski was an INTJ. Not trying to scare anybody or anything, I am just sayin'...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
but I need to ask... does it ever bother you when you see that there are 300-400 "guests" online here reading or lurking? Sometimes I start an answer with some possibly semi-identifying info like my city or type of work and then I see the number of guests and delete it. Or I think of posting a pic, even of my pets, and then delete it. I guess it's the introvert in me.
I've yammered on for over five years on this forum. I've also included pics as well.

It doesn't bother me.

We all have to remember, this is an internet forum. All advice, experiences and pics have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Ally...you need to do what makes you feel comfortable. That is what matters.

...or you can do like me. On occasion, I post a pic of my little friend...

Old 08-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
I lurked for years (five?) before I joined and posted. So I'm not surprised that so many lurk.

I told myself I wouldn't join and post until I FIREd. So it served as some incentive for me to reach my goal.
Like you I lurked for about 4 years, but that was only now and then. I originally saw a link to this forum on Morningstar's Vanguard Diehards or whatever it was called back then. My reason for not joining was that I was looking for a really good general retirement forum, not an early retirement forum (but didn't find one that I liked so eventually I gave up and joined).

Honestly I don't know how I ever put up with the ads. If you don't log in, they are awful. Maybe they weren't so bad back then. Oddly, quite a few of our members apparently browse the forum without logging in.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
. On occasion, I post a pic of my little friend...

That's one intimidating bear you got there.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Is that a right arm bear?
Old 08-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I get a little paranoid myself. I feel like I've given enough information here that if someone I know reads all my forum posts, he/she could probably figure out it's me. (Maybe my tactic should be to write a bunch of meaningless posts so this person won't be able to go through all my posts... Wait! Most of my posts are in fact pretty much meaningless already!)
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yes, I think she is saying that in this country, we have the right to arm bears....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #16

For safety's sake, be sure to use sunscreen on those bare arms.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I don't know why people keep bringing up, er, bears to prove something. Don't you ever sleep? If you are really paranoid, I hope you have a partner to take turns sleeping and standing watch. Never let your guard down, I tell ya.

Anyway, I often surf without logging in. If I am logged in, I tend to post a lot more often. And if I post, then I will have to check in more often to see if anyone replies. It tends to take a lot of my time, and I need to do other things.

And then, and then, there are those who surf but with their cloaking device turned on. Yes, I am talkin' to you, you lurkers who know who you are.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And then, and then, there are those who surf but with their cloaking device turned on. Yes, I am talkin' to you, you lurkers who know who you are.
Yep, plenty of Klingons and Romulans looking for advice on this site.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

PS. I am also including those who log on but turn on the cloaking feature in their User CP. They do not know that I have superhuman vision and can see them clearly as day.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
That's one intimidating bear you got there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yes, I think she is saying that in this country, we have the right to arm bears....

Methinks Teddy is ambidextrous. However, he's not that intimidating as he has no thumbs.