Join Early Retirement Today

MBA question
Old 05-08-2006, 08:01 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

MBA question

OK, this may sound like a strange question, the cart before the horse type.

But, I am enrolled in a part time MBA program and plan to graduate within the next 1.5 years. 100% paid for, so I figured what the heck. Not my first choice, but my 100% tuition is only to state colleges/universities and I didn't want to go for a MS in comuter programming at the other state college.

Now, my undergrad is in Computer Science, and I'm a tech guy (MS certs, network admin, engineering, etc).

What sort of opportunities will this combo (B.S. Comp sci & MBA) open up? IT management? Nothing?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: MBA question
Old 05-08-2006, 08:08 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What are you concentrating on in your MBA program? If you do a lot of finance and stats, that plus the comp sci would set you up very well to work for a big bank or a hedge fund doing quantitative modelling work on derivatives, etc. Pays very well, and you would be on the cutting edge.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:24 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
What sort of opportunities will this combo (B.S. Comp sci & MBA) open up?* IT management?* Nothing?*
If your personal desires and personality favor moving to management, an MBA on your resume' would likely be helpful in securing interviews and a job.

If you aren't really interesting in management, brewer's comments are dead on.* Pick a concentration area which, combined with your undergrad IT degree, would prepare you as an individual contributor.* Finance or Operations Management come to mind.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:33 AM   #4

I am concentrating in Investment & Finance. I have Investment Management starting in 2 weeks and then Graduate Money and Banking. I'll be 50% done in Aug (5 classes out of 10).

I chose the Investment and Finance concentration because it's interesting to me. And, I hope some of the stuff I learn will be useful to me.

Thanks for the info!
Old 05-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

bill, if youu have the time and inclination, think about getting your CFA now too. I found the material very familiar when I took the exams right after I finished my degree. If I were starting out rustier with more time between classes and the exams, I think I would have had a lot more studyng to do.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:38 PM   #6

I just got the textbook in the mail. Certain questions at the end of the chapters are labled "CFA Problems."

I'll have to look into it.

Thanks again.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:57 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bimmerbill - I have the same credentials: BS in Computer Science + MBA. I found the MBA opened a door that I might not have had access to otherwise. For sure, the combo will allow you to work in IT management, perhaps for a financial firm. I had no interest in management, so I ended up in a fairly high tech position in a financial firm, doing some programming but also data analysis in the investment arena. It was a great job.

CFA could be very useful and is very attractive on a resume if you want to get into that industry.

Good luck in all of that!!
CJ