MBA question

Bimmerbill

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
OK, this may sound like a strange question, the cart before the horse type.

But, I am enrolled in a part time MBA program and plan to graduate within the next 1.5 years. 100% paid for, so I figured what the heck. Not my first choice, but my 100% tuition is only to state colleges/universities and I didn't want to go for a MS in comuter programming at the other state college.

Now, my undergrad is in Computer Science, and I'm a tech guy (MS certs, network admin, engineering, etc).

What sort of opportunities will this combo (B.S. Comp sci & MBA) open up? IT management? Nothing?

What are you concentrating on in your MBA program? If you do a lot of finance and stats, that plus the comp sci would set you up very well to work for a big bank or a hedge fund doing quantitative modelling work on derivatives, etc. Pays very well, and you would be on the cutting edge.

Bimmerbill said:
What sort of opportunities will this combo (B.S. Comp sci & MBA) open up?  IT management?  Nothing? 

If your personal desires and personality favor moving to management, an MBA on your resume' would likely be helpful in securing interviews and a job.

If you aren't really interesting in management, brewer's comments are dead on.  Pick a concentration area which, combined with your undergrad IT degree, would prepare you as an individual contributor.  Finance or Operations Management come to mind.

I am concentrating in Investment & Finance. I have Investment Management starting in 2 weeks and then Graduate Money and Banking. I'll be 50% done in Aug (5 classes out of 10).

I chose the Investment and Finance concentration because it's interesting to me. And, I hope some of the stuff I learn will be useful to me.

Thanks for the info!

bill, if youu have the time and inclination, think about getting your CFA now too. I found the material very familiar when I took the exams right after I finished my degree. If I were starting out rustier with more time between classes and the exams, I think I would have had a lot more studyng to do.

I just got the textbook in the mail. Certain questions at the end of the chapters are labled "CFA Problems."

I'll have to look into it.

Thanks again.

Bimmerbill - I have the same credentials: BS in Computer Science + MBA. I found the MBA opened a door that I might not have had access to otherwise. For sure, the combo will allow you to work in IT management, perhaps for a financial firm. I had no interest in management, so I ended up in a fairly high tech position in a financial firm, doing some programming but also data analysis in the investment arena. It was a great job.

CFA could be very useful and is very attractive on a resume if you want to get into that industry.

Good luck in all of that!!
CJ

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom